Driving lights everywhere, but which ones?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was speaking to bloke who had some super bright lights and he said he downgraded them as he couldn't see anything (not literally) when he went back to low beam.

No offense to anyone but I think it depends a little bit on your age, the younger you are the faster your eyes can adjust from being in a really bright place to a really dark place or from a really dark place to a really bright place.
Ive had 4 100 watt hids for the last 5 years, never had a problem going from all lights on to low beam, but as you get older that starts to change!
The brighter the lights the worse the reflection you get from road signs as well.It can get to the point where you go back to low beam as you pass any road signs.
I still wont change them though as on a long country road its nice being able to see close to a kilometer in front of yourself.

I had hid (70 watt) roolights upfront with a 40'' cree led lightbar on the d22
it was well worth the effort and cost (1k)
the roolights copped a hiding and never missed a beat

Being the decisive person that I am, I ended up buying 2 water jerry cans and a tyre repair kit instead, plus a torch too.

I'll probably get a set of the 7" HID's.

I have 220mm 100w (not HID) Roo Lights on my D40. I think they are very good for the price. I also drive trucks for a living and we use Lightforce, Narva, Fyrlyt and some LED lightbars. Not a big fan of the lightbars but as a combo that might be different. The others are all pretty much close to each other IMHO.

I had 4 Hella Hid's with euro lens, ebay 35w and 55w ballests. I couldn't tell the difference between them, they were both rediculously bright!!
They had awesome spread and spot range was too far! They lit up way out into the paddocks, to the tops of the trees and nothing stepped out in front of them, I drove from Weipa to Cairns every month for the moto season with no bullbar and never came close to hitting anything other than 2 big kangaroos that were fighting in the middle of the road. I stopped and blasted the horn and the stupid thing was blinded, turned around and head butted the car haha. I never relised how bright they actually were until the girlfriend picked me up in it one night and it was like a space ship coming down the road!

Hey Mate,

I have installed the below HIDs with orange backs (refer 9 inch versions) and blue lenses and have been very happy, quick delivery, everything needed was in the packet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-55W-7I...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2344a2a7

I like the coloured lenses, I imagine not everyone does though. the lenses need to be taken off before using to get best performance at night. but they really do light up the road. I ordered pencil beam as I plan to do a 20 inch light bar across the roof in flood / pencil combination.

I can post a photo if your chasing one, will have to take one.

I spent 5 months last year working in the Brisbane valley on corrugated dirt roads, had no issues with the mounts. From the research I could find on them people had done years on corrugated roads and had no issues. Personally don't see the sense in spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on lights when you can pick these up at such low prices. Just my personal preference.

best of luck.

OK, so I looked athe front of the Nav today and realised if I fit spotties, it's gonna be hard to flick the winch in and out. So with that in mind, I've turned my attention to light bars, which I reckon will suit me just fine.

Looking at this one here

And this one here

Probably mount them underneath the top bar of the bullbar.

I have the brightlights auto parts lightbar in your second link, I love it, best money I've spent. I got mine for $152.

Ended up getting this...

$_12.JPG

$124 on eBay, hurrah! I never win any bidding wars on eBay. They retail for $360 from memory.

Yep, thought I might tray and mount it underneath the top hoop so it's not in the way when I work under the bonnet.

Looking forward to being able to see at night now.

Yep, thought I might tray and mount it underneath the top hoop so it's not in the way when I work under the bonnet.

Looking forward to being able to see at night now.

Thats why I mounted mine where I did. So it didnt foul on the bonnet. It is in the way a bit when reaching in to sevice it but its a small price to pay for the brilliant white light you receive. I put a set of the philips extreme plus 100 globes in. As I found that going back to low beam after the lightbar seems shocking

I bought the one in your first link from sunyee, just so happens I finished installing it today as well. Pretty happy with the light output on a quick test out on the open road

Here is where I mounted mine, wanted a slim line fit

Last edited:
Looks good.

I mounted mine under the top hoop of the bullbar, used some 50x50 angle. Also found some old driving lights, luckily they're both pencil beams. Came up good I think.

Very bright at night.

XRay HID 220MM driving lights and 22inch Brite Tech LED light bar

Attachments

• 1901870_747091682000199_5726040837986369400_navara.jpg
    1901870_747091682000199_5726040837986369400_navara.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 85
I am after a set of lights too but finding hard to decide.
Everyone seems to be going down the HID road but to be honest I don't like the start up time.
When I turn lights on I want to see the road instantly, not wait 15 seconds for the lights to reach maximum brightness.That's why I want to go Halogen H4.
I too am after a 9 inch light .

Narva 225's are too big, 175's are too small.
Lightforce are too expensive.
I need something that will fit in the loop of my Iron man bullbar nicely.

Back