Dual Batteries

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazza11

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Due to my D40 has an ECU controller alternator can you hard wire a dual battery or two dual batteries straight to the main battery without installing a dc to dc 12v charger?? so basically the aux battery will get its charge from the main battery and the main battery will charge from the alternator. With the alternator only supplying float charge not high voltage im suspecting this can not be done without the dc to dc charger.

Advice.

No mate, otherwise when you turn the motor off the auxiliary batteries will continue to drain the main battery until the car won't start.

You can wire up a relay to input alternator voltage into the solar panel input on a c-tek d250s or I believe the redarc dc-dc charger has a low voltage option instead of just the standard one.

On the other hand, do a search on the forum for the "green wire mod" and you will find plenty of info from people who have bypassed the smart alternator without any issues whatsoever... this will let you run a standard battery isolator without it cutting in and out all the time.

^ Not only that, but without some form of isolation, when you go to start the car it will try drawing some of that power from the auxilliary batteries. That's downright dangerous, it takes around 500A to crank the diesel over - it's a fire waiting to happen. Aux batteries really must be isolated.

The entire reason for introducing the smarts is to save a little bit of horsepower. It's a miniscule amount - seriously, it's hardly worth it. Disconnect the green wire and enjoy a normal system!

Cheers guys. Ive read the redarc is the way to go just thought id check as a mate did this set up in his new hilux with two 100A hour batteries in the tub for FA costing and doesn't seem to have an issue. but I think ill spend a bit extra and do it properly the first time.

Cheers guys. Ive read the redarc is the way to go just thought id check as a mate did this set up in his new hilux with two 100A hour batteries in the tub for FA costing and doesn't seem to have an issue. but I think ill spend a bit extra and do it properly the first time.
At a guess I'd say he has a basic redarc isolator solenoid fitted to his setup to isolate the aux batteries when the engine is off. These are only around 100 bucks and will work with that green wire mod done. The only disadvantage is, without a dc - dc charger or inverter and multi stage 240v battery charger, your aux battery or batteries will not get a complete charge just off the alternator. Just something else to keep in mind when setting your system up...

^ absolutely right. In any application (low or high voltage) there's a drop over distance in the available volts under load. The thinner the wire, the worse it gets. The problem isn't as apparent when there's no load. Easy to test: grab a halogen spotty (100W = 8.3A) and hook it up to the other end of your cable. While it's lit, measure the voltage at both ends. The voltage drop (for that load) will be very apparent if the cable is over 3m long.

That's important, because even a non-smart alternator only puts out enough volts to charge the cranker. Once you add voltage drop, the battery on the far end of the cable is not going to get enough power at all, and it will leave you quite short for your stay.

Don't despair - there's still a way to do it cheaply (and effectively). Don't take shortcuts with the cabling though - the 8Ga fig8 cable from Jaycar will do the job nicely, buy about 8m of that (a little more is better than not enough). Connectors should be Anderson plugs, they grip each other firmly and you can't orient them the wrong way.

Grab an oversized relay - 80A or better - and connect as follows:

* Pin 86 (small wire) to battery negative

* Pin 85 (small wire) to any accessories-on source in the engine bay. Test that the source switches off when the starter is engaged.

* Pin 30 (heavy cable) to a heavy fuse holder then to battery positive

* Pin 87 (heavy cable) to the rear.

That's all you need. When ACC comes on, the cranker will be connected to the auxiliary batteries. Because the ACC feed is disconnected during start, the power will NOT flow from AUX batteries to the cranker.

The caveat here is that the aux batteries will probably never charge to 100%. They'll get some power, oh for sure - but they'll NEVER get full. It's just not possible (with the direct connect described).

There is another way - and you can remove that relay (or put in a switch on Pin 86 inside the cabin) AND get the batteries fully charged. It's only a little expensive but has a nice side-effect. Incidentally, this is the way I was doing it until I permanently mounted a solar panel on my canopy.

Same deal as before, run heavy cable to fuse then down to the rear of the car. Now, invert the power. Yes, buy an inverter. Powertech range is acceptable, the Aldi ones are also good if you can get one - you need one whose output is electrically isolated from the input (the documentation should state this). Plug both a multi-stage battery charger AND your fridge into the output of the inverter. Connect the battery charger AND the fridge to the 12V aux batteries.

Now, this is where you get not only the cake, but the icing too. Modern fridges will, when they sense 240VAC, use the AC feed in preference to 12V. It's not because it's more efficient - all of these fridges will convert the power back down to 12V. It's because they do their best to keep their load off the battery. Now, with an unloaded battery, the battery charger will see a clean, unladen battery and will charge it completely and perfectly.

Which battery charger? It has to have the following functions:

1) Auto start when mains power comes on (some don't - particularly Aldi ones)
2) Auto sense battery state (almost all smart chargers do this)
3) Auto float the battery once charged (most smart chargers will, simple chargers won't)

A charger like this one from Jaycar is good enough. Most of the stuff I saw at Supercheap was notreallycheap.com.au (or maybe wayoverpriced.com.au) and Rays Outdoors only has this one which is adequate. I didn't find anything at BCF worth having. Forget Bunnings, they only sell the Projecta stuff and although they claim 2.5A charger at about $80, it's really a 1.6A charger (1600mA).

Old tony
From what I read that you have wrote I can prittY much just run the standard vsr kit if I have the green wire mod? And if I plan to add a solar panel I won't need to add the inverter etc?
Can I have input charge from the alternator and solar at the same time?

Standard VSR will work with the mod, yes, the mod reverts the alternator to a "dumb" (which in this case means working) one. Thing is, you might not need the VSR depending on how you want to do the charging.

And yes, you can have power from both but it depends on how you do it. Don't try to add the power together - 20A from the alternator and 10A from solar won't give you 30A to the battery. And maybe you wouldn't want 30A there - a Gel battery can only really be charged at C/10 - so if you've got a 100Ah gel battery, you don't want to charge it faster than 10A per hour, or you'll create bubbles in the gel - that's fatal for the battery.

The way to do it (automatically) is with a unit like the C-Tek D250S. Redarc sell a similar device. The VSR may not be needed with the C-Tek, which will sense a low voltage on the input and leave it alone (even when solar is not producing). I think the C-Tek switches on at 13.2V - your alternator has to be ticking over to produce that. The C-Tek will take the best source from solar/alternator and charge the battery with that. Have a look at Redarc as well, Australian company don't do a bad job with their gear. Not sure if the Redarc will automatically isolate like the C-Tek does.

Most of these DC/DC chargers have a diode inline to prevent backfeed from the cranker, it's probably a more reliable form of isolation but taking an overnight consumtion reading it's not 100% the case.
Cheers

Hi guys I've got a 2010 d22 and I've just realised that is a dual crank battery setup. The issue in trying to over come is I'm about to do a lot of remote driving (no where near help if needed) and I'm a little concerted that if i drop a cell in one of the batteries the truck won't start.
So I'm looking to run a cat 880 cca crank and a 825 cca deep cycle cat batteries and i have a redac isolator.
I'd like to know how i can set it up so i crank of the crank battery and have the deep cycle for the fridge and other gear?

Can anyone assist?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back