Dumb question D22 Rear diff

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi-D22

Reaction score
Hi all. I have what may seem like a dumb question, but I ask it because I don't know.

When I put my 2006 D22 into low ratio, it seems to have a diff lock.

When I turn corners on the hard/seal in low, it behaves like a welded diff.

Does this come as standard?

:sorry3:

The saying goes, the only silly question is the one that doesn't get asked...

I am going to assume you mean the front diff and that you have the front freewheeling hubs in the locked position when doing this?

I would highly recommended NOT doing it again, as you will either stretch the transfer case chain or break something else. The reason you got the feeling you did is because when the transfer case is in the 4x4 position (either high or low) with the front hubs locked, the front and rear diffs turn at the same speed. When you are turning, the front and rear wheels need to turn at different speeds, simply because of the different distances they need to travel to complete the turn. On a loose surface, you don't feel much at all because the wheels with less grip just slip and the vehicle carries on. When the wheels have grip, they try and turn at different speeds, but because they are being forced to turn at the same speed you either get a big bang when something breaks or the feeling you got as the wheels are trying to turn at the same speed...

I hope that makes sense..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thats because unlike "all wheel drive", 4x4 dont have a centre diff. The front and rear wheels travel on different radii, and therefore a different amount of distance every time your turn a corner. The center diff on AWD cars takes up the difference between front and rear diffs. On 4WDs where there is none, your transfer chain (and everything else) tries to take up the difference, which is bad. Long story short - dont put it in 4wd on dry bitumen.

unlock the front hubs when on the hard stuff.
if you use 4x4 (high or low) with front hubs unlocked it can damage the diff if driven a lot and at high speed. at low speeds and for a short distance is ok.

cheers, Yeah its just when Im backing out of the driveway at the bach. Its very steep. But will try not to do it anymore.

cheers, Yeah its just when Im backing out of the driveway at the bach. Its very steep. But will try not to do it anymore.

For things like that I use low range but have the front hubs in free position (they wont get drive)

Latest posts

Back