Ebay, Gumtree, Carsales, Paypal, scams, cheats, help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Ok this thread could probably go in a number of different sections but with some luck having the important words in the topic should help people searching in the future find it no matter where it is.

Scams on ebay, gumtree and carsales, scams for payments through paypal etc and email scams of winning money are rife. Many ads from legitimate sellers are being targeted for scams and many different people are falling for these scams as they become more elaborate.

For the sake of Navara.asia members maybe we could list down scams people are seeing or hearing about. Rather than stories about each specific scam and who's been done by it just information of what these scammers are doing, how they are getting the money off people and what our members should look out for in the hope that anyone here suspect enough to ask the question might find the thread and be alerted to the scam before it's too late.

Some of the ones I know of:

Buyer offers to buy the product sight unseen because they are overseas, often buying for a relative sometimes requesting the product be packaged and sent to an address rather than being picked up. The buyer asks the questions expected from a buyer and the deal is agreed to but the money is never received despite the product being delivered.

Another popular one is having someone ask you if you will sell their product for them through your ebay account. They will offer a percentage to you as the seller but for whatever reason they can't sell the product themselves. Obviously the product never makes it to the winning bidder and while the best the middle man can hope for is to be out of pocket a small fee due to the buyer realising the scam and getting the money back the worst case scenario is that the middle man passes the money on before the scam is discovered and becomes liable for the total cost.

People should also be very suspect when buyers mention certain banks, Western Union is one of those suspect ones.

What other scams have people seen that they want to warn other members of.

Second chance offer, they contact you saying the winning bidder pulled out and you have the item, then say they are overseas can you forward money blah blah blah, i've been offered second chance a couple of times now

Good idea Krafty.
I feel like a dilberry.
I know, its obvious now. I had little experience buying with pp and zero selling.
He asked for my paypal account number or bank account to send the funds.
I just googled the subject as you advised.
Of course a resounding NO...... Do Not give details.
They only need your email ( that you used to set up paypal) to send the funds.
Cheers again.
There are some dogs masqueradiing as humans eh.

Better to feel like a dill without loosing money than feeling like a dill and having nothing to show for it. I honestly didn't think you were being serious with your first comment in the other thread. I figured you were just making light of the fact you'd sussed the guy out and was having nothing to do with it.

The problem is we will never stop these scum bags but if we can warn a few people maybe we can slow them down.

The Microsoft call center is one of my favorites lately, given they ring mostly after hours these days and they ring every few weeks I now time the call just too see how long I can string the fools along for, my record is 35 minutes.

It's another scam where they want you to turn your computer on because your computer is infected and only they can fix it, originally when they started the scam they never used to know your name but now days they read out your name because your registered software. The fact that these idiots are still making the calls means people are still falling for it but once again with people like me keeping some of the idiots busy on the phone and others being alerted to the scam hopefully the numbers of those infected will drop.

Im new to this but had that recently when trying to sell a cpl of bikes.Yeah they want to give me double the asking price no questions asked and arrange their own courier, ra ra ra. The money will be deposited into my bank account the minute i give them my bank details. I SAID CASH FUCKHEADS. NO DICE. This was followed by constant emails and txt msgs from various usernames with more of the same but no phonenumbers. I ignored them and they went away. Eventually.
My policy is if an email doesnt come with a legitiment phone number, ignore.
And for that matter, if you have supplied a phone number and they fuck around with emails, even if legit, might aswell ignore that too cos more than likely they're just timewasters.

i know a lot of people have had good dealings with paypal in general, my missus made a purchase online and never recieved the product, we had all the proof on our end showing we had paid etc, they could barely speak english and didn't say anything other than 'we deliver product'
paypal sided with them in the dispute and i deleted our accounts and haven't used it since.
it seems they sided with the seller that provides them regular business rather than the consumer that was in the right.
saying that i do know people who have made disputes and won out, i was amazed at how strong our case was and yet it was still denied

The Microsoft call center is one of my favorites lately, given they ring mostly after hours these days and they ring every few weeks I now time the call just too see how long I can string the fools along for, my record is 35 minutes.

Me and my mates have turned this into a competition, I managed to get 65 minutes before they hung up on me, my mate however is winning so far with 2 hours on the clock!

my dad would probs have the winning time...

4.5hrs, while he was working mind you..

he strung them along saying that just incase we better do all the computers (at the time we had 7, laptops and desktops)

it was so hard not too laugh in the background

But on my own experiance while trying to sell my car, NEVER Ever recieve payment for any large amount through paypal and others ie western union

always deal in cash or cashiers cheque

my dad would probs have the winning time...

4.5hrs, while he was working mind you..

he strung them along saying that just incase we better do all the computers (at the time we had 7, laptops and desktops)

it was so hard not too laugh in the background

But on my own experiance while trying to sell my car, NEVER Ever recieve payment for any large amount through paypal and others ie western union

we have a new winner! 4.5 is impressive.

That's actually an interesting point about paypal (and well any payment method really), in case there is a dispute and you're the seller make sure you have proof of postage/receipt on pickup or something to defend your self. I once had a buyer file a paypal dispute claiming he didn't receive the goods, paypal asked me for proof of postage, I supplied the email stating delivery details and my postage receipt, the dispute was closed the next day. I don't know if the guy legitimately didn't receive the goods or if he was just trying to scam his money back but it saved my ass.

One of the ones I have notice when u list something on eBay I always get text to my phone saying how much they like the item and reply to email but I never do.

Easy way to avoid some eBay scams - don't put your mobile on the listing. Tell people to contact you via the eBay messenger system, and when they ask a question or ask for a phone number, provide your mobile number. Those scams target items with phone numbers in the description.

Easy way to avoid some eBay scams - don't put your mobile on the listing. Tell people to contact you via the eBay messenger system, and when they ask a question or ask for a phone number, provide your mobile number. Those scams target items with phone numbers in the description.

Yeh, thats the start of it in my case. I didnt bother to get car sales to hide my ph number. Woops.... Thats why the dog picked me. If it was secured he would have had to become a car sales member to get it. Therefore identifying himself.

Got an email this morning, no subject, undisclosed recipients different return address to the sent from address and it simply said

YOUR E-MAIL GOT PICKED UP TO ENJOY 1MILLION G.B.P IN COCA COLA SEND YOURNAME&ADDRESS/TEL TO Mr.Brown.

Obviously another scam given the extreme amount of detail they put into their message....as if Coke can afford to give away that much money with their business in such a slump these days.

I got this one a couple of days ago through my Whatsapp messenger. It pisses me off

Attachments

• image-3102281783.jpg
    image-3102281783.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 65
I know 2 people that have had an email from Paypal saying that $3.75 or what ever random low number has been withdrawn for their paypal account. It then goes on to say "log in here to access your account". This is where they get you details. The first person i know freaked out because she hadnt put anything on her paypal account. They got her info and maxed out her savings account... which was only a couple of grand, but still, i couldnt afford to have a couple grand go missing. She did eventually get it back though with commonwealth bank having a go at paypal.

And yes i tried to sell a Toyota Camry in the Cairns post a few years ago. I was contacted by a bloke in the UK who was a camry fanatic, or so he said. He asked for my paypal account details and i gave him my address, but he later came back and said that his bank wouldnt transfer to a paypal account. He mentioned his bank does like to use western union though and i told him that he and his bank and western union could go and F@ck themselves.

Might i also mention that the websit www.alibaba.com is absoloutlely full to the brim with a million different scamming businesses. I was looking at buying a bike from there, "direct form the manufacturer", which i though could be credible because the frames are manufactured in thailand. Then when i asked for pictures of the 6k bike, i was sent a picture from some bike shop that was taken 6 years ago. I strung them along for a bit and then told them i wish they all get cancer and crawl up up inside a wombat hole and die.

Cashiers cheque? Do you mean bank cheque?

Never hand over the goods for a bank cheque until it s deposited to your account and make sure it can not be reversed.

I've read of a couple of cases where blokes have accepted a bank cheque for items and by the time they went down to the bank to deposit them, the arseholes had cancelled the cheque. From the reports, it seems the issuing bank will cancel the bank cheque if the buyer goes in and later requests it.

I know 2 people that have had an email from Paypal saying that $3.75 or what ever random low number has been withdrawn for their paypal account. It then goes on to say "log in here to access your account". This is where they get you details.

Basic internet security skills. Never ever use the link sent to you. Always use the link shown on the official paperwork you received when setting up your account.

On my mailer "Control + u" shows all the information contained in the email received AS SIMPLE TEXT. Things to look for are the source country of the email(can be fudged, but many are too stupid). so your local bank isn't going to be sending from an an email address ending in .ru, .br, .ro, .it, .info, .biz and a raft of others. For me, if any official business doesn't send from a domain that ends in .au and isn't a sub-domain of their business, it get reported as spam.

You can also use the CnTl+U to look at what is exactly in the url that was sent to you as often you may see a realistic URL, in the email, but the text reveals an old trick of hiding the real url.

Yeah I got an email the other day from "PayPal" about my credit limit being increased, click the link blah blah, I just deleted it

Haha I just got an email from the British Arab Commercial Bank no details just asking me to open their attachment. Surely no one would try and dodgy something through a bank with such a prestigious name.

Got an email from, United Kingdom Microsoft award. Bla bla we have been emailing you. You have won blablabla.
Oh yeah thats right, i didnt buy a ticket.
Man they are dogs.

Latest posts

Back