EGR Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22TURBO

Reaction score
So the word is that after you bypass the EGR pipe and block solenoid by re routing vac lines one symptom is better fuel economy.

I have done this, blocked the pipe and bypassed the solenoid. I now have worse fuel economy, not a great amount but enough to hurt the wallet over time. Can anyone please assist and offer your knowledge to help? In the end if I can't work out why I think I'll put the gasket back in and hook up the solenoid again.

Cheers.

I got 8.1 Km/L on a recent trip, fully loaded with 200L of fuel on board. That's about what I would get

Ben-D22 said:
I got 8.1 Km/L on a recent trip, fully loaded with 200L of fuel on board. That's about what I would get

Was it all down hill? Nice figure there

i have egr mod and another guys i know has it too, now we have both said the same thing and have to agree with higher fuel usage, but in saying that, my last trip to brisbane i did 600ks on the ODO,( so taking in to account the bigger tyres i was more like 650km) untill the fuel light came on where i think there is 9 or 10 Ltr left on the tank?

so i would have use about 65ltr with works of roughing 10ltr per 100ks which for what the utes are i dont think is too bad.

bryan

ever since i wrote the egr and butterfly mod i've only had a couple of people who have complained about poor fuel economy.
one i put down to intake mods sucking in hot air of the turbo, the others never came back with any decent info to determine if the mod is at fault.

first thing, can you please post your fuel figures and maths. seen people stuff up math before.
the other thing is what conditions are you driving in.
a very big thing is what speed are you driving at.

economy mods only work if you drive exactly the same way as you did before. the mods give a little bit more power so you accelerate a bit faster which uses more fuel.

one of the downsides to the egr mod is the engine now uses more air, so air filter effects performance/economy a whole lot more. it also gets dirty quicker.

Ive had egr mod only a short while now, first few tanks were city driving, cos was working in the city, ie; stop/start low rpm and got close to 10km/l (680km/ 68l) last tank was mostly highway driving but only got 570km/70l. Il see what i get from the tank im on now, only the 2nd tank on highway cruising. Previous to doing the egr mod was getting a pretty consistant 640/70l virtually regardless whether it was city or highway driving or the type of loads, but would get less if i drove with a heavy foot.

i wonder if waste gate creep is effecting things. with higher boost at cruise the wastegate would be open a lot more.
it may not be effecting mine so much as my wastegate might be set higher as i tend to peak at 18psi boost.

After closer analysis, im on about 10psi cruising at 100km. Was at 5 before egrmod with stock dump and 2.5" cat-back. Highest peak iv gotten is 16.9, thats with egr and full exhaust, bit low for some reason but not worried about it cos it goes well enough. I imagine wastegate creep would result in lower boost levels at cruise?

wastegate creep would result in slightly lower boost. i'm not sure if you would notice the difference or not.

the other difference with mine is i have 3" dump and no cat.

so far no ones given any details of their driving style for me to compare to. reading between the lines, that may be why change in economy.

Mod made no difference to my economy. I get 10l/100k for mixed driving. Did the mod about 12 months ago. Everything else on the car is stock apart from 2" lift and catch can. The thing That killed the economy the most on the Patrol I used to have was a larger set of tyres. Went up 1 size and dropped from 1100k per tank(110l) to 1000k if I was lucky.

My driving style is cruising at roughly 105-110km/h unloaded with me and/or +1 passenger basically all on the highway. My boost wavers between 8-14 psi up/down hills and about 9-11 psi flat road, occasionally a side-headwind. My exhaust is 3 inch turbo back Xforce with no cat and just a hotdog and a centre-offset resonator halfway down. Boost peaks at 15 psi, nearly 16 I think but digital gauge doesn't do decimals whereas before EGR block and re-route of lines Iit was peaking 16psi. Probably closer to 17 though.

Tyre size is 265/70R16 stock Maxxis MA751 A/T's. On a side note, as the stock tyres put an under-reading on the speedo (car moving slightly quicker than speedo says) and are 31.6 inches in overall diameter, would it be worth going to a 31x10.5R15 to equal speedo and steal that extra touch of economy?

Need any more info?

a little surprised its only 16psi peak. otherwise everything is similar to mine except the speed.
try a max of 100km/h and see what the fuel economy is like.

also just check you got the butterfly mod is right. i would not expect any change in peak boost due to egr or butterfly mod. only the exhaust would change peak boost.

Latest posts

Back