Electric Winch - Current Draw & how long can u winch for?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys....

Finally tested the Electric Winch out and I was watching the in-car Voltmeter drop down well below the "normal" charging rate..... Got me thinking as to how long can u winch for (with engine running) b4 u start running into troubles with draining your main battery too far ???

I know the D22's ALT aren't that big when it comes to the charging current, so unless u can install a +100amp ALT I reckon u would have to be careful as to how long u used the winch for......

Guys....

Finally tested the Electric Winch out and I was watching the in-car Voltmeter drop down well below the "normal" charging rate..... Got me thinking as to how long can u winch for (with engine running) b4 u start running into troubles with draining your main battery too far ???

I know the D22's ALT aren't that big when it comes to the charging current, so unless u can install a +100amp ALT I reckon u would have to be careful as to how long u used the winch for......

Did you rev the engine while doing it? Always should, easy way is use the heat switch.

My D22 has twin cranking batteries plus a deep cycle in the tub. It increases winching time and halves the load on the starting batteries to avoid the issue you're talking about.

Did you rev the engine while doing it? Always should, easy way is use the heat switch.

Yep, certainly did rev the engine.

My D22 has twin cranking batteries plus a deep cycle in the tub. It increases winching time and halves the load on the starting batteries to avoid the issue you're talking about.

With this I'm gathering u want to make sure that u have "heavy cables" between ALL batteries + I'm assuming u need to make sure the whatever battery isolator u are using that it can handle the HIGH current flow otherwise u risk pitting (burning out) the contacts within the isolator. The thing is, if this happens the isolator may still appear to work (ie clicking in) but if u don't have a voltmeter on your 2nd battery, u won't know that its not actually connected and not charging your Aux batteries.

about 50 odd mtrs. I used my runva for the first time the other day and flattend my battery to the point the winch was cutting out. didnt take long for it to charge again. but a bigger alt would be better.

bryan

With this I'm gathering u want to make sure that u have "heavy cables" between ALL batteries + I'm assuming u need to make sure the whatever battery isolator u are using that it can handle the HIGH current flow

There are heavy cables between the cranking batteries and they run in parallel (no isolation needed) and the tub battery is not charged directly by the car alternator so has no high current link to the other batteries, hence over current between the tub battery and the other batteries isn't an issue.

It's a similar setup to the Waeco RAPS36 but in an aftermarket battery box.

Most winch manufacturers recommend around 30 seconds from memory, before pausing to let the system recover somewhat. In reality though, few people follow those recommendations.

I know that my system will allow a full length haul without pause. That is using a Warn 9.5XP though, which have a very low current draw compared to some of the less costly winches.

But it aint winching anything at the moment - one of my power-side solenoids has died (9.5XP switches both the positive and negative sides), so off to the shops for me.

Keeping the revs up does extend it, but you really should never allow the battery to drain too far and should use the winch only as much as necessary.

On a slippery surface - like a wet grassy hill that you can't stop on once you start - just keep the revs going (1200-1500rpm is more than enough), but let the system rest every minute. The battery is working hard - you'll be pulling somewhere over 200A out of it. It's rare to draw the winch's maximum current - even dangling the car vertically off the winch you're only supporting (say) 2.5 tonnes - about half the winch's capacity. You will draw more as you get the vehicle unstuck (from say a muddy boghole) but not for long.

How long CAN you draw 200A from a 75Ah battery with NO increased RPM? Assume you can draw 80%-30% = 50% capacity or 37.5Ah. At 200A you can draw that in a little over 3 minutes.

So, heavier draw - steeper, stickier, trailered = less time. If you're just sliding down a grassy slope the draw will be light so you can go longer.

In a D22 you'd want to keep near to 1500rpm up to get more amps out of the alternator (D22 = 88A peak at 5000rpm). In a D40 (145A at 3400rpm) you can get away with about 1200rpm. Give both cars a break during long winches and you'll stand more chance of not damaging anything - especially your battery.

Latest posts

Back