Electrical wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crack

Reaction score
I was at work today and saw a big pile of electrical wiring that had been striped from a building and was going to get thrown out. I thought wether this could be used for 12v wiring or not?

cheers jack

You cant use it for 12V, you could strip it for the copper and fund something else though!

Yes and no. Generally in buildings they use single-strand wire and it's often brittle if it's moved too much - but then buildings aren't designed to move about a lot, so it doesn't matter.

Cars, on the other hand, are more reliable with multistrand wiring. Doesn't mean you can't use it, I would just recommend against it.

big problem is a lot of building wiring is solid core or thick multiable wires. its not all that flexible and tends to break.

ah thought the answer would be no. worth a try though.

cheers fellas

Yep, the theory is that domestic cable work hardens with the vibrations and will break. That's cause it normally has 7 strands of copper (in the smaller stuff), whereas auto cable will have heaps of small cores, hence being more flexible and not as likely to work harden.

Will it work, yes. Is it recommended and good practice, no.

Mitch

Building wire. Its got me stuffed why anyone uses that crap these days.

When I use to work with my mate, I dont know how many times we can across a break in that crap.

Surely the multistrand isn't that much extra.

Latest posts

Back