Engine oil massive leak!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
Hi guys
just got and could smell burnt oil while reversing in the driveway then I saw some smoke coming out from the wheel arch passenger side.

Lost heaps of oil (oil low message on the dashboard) from the left hand side of the engine but I can not see exactly where from.

Already organised road side assistance from Nissan for tomorrow morning but I'd like to know what could it be.

Do you have any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks

I lost most of the engine oil in 10Kms! big puddle under the car in seconds
Also the oil is below the turbo, I can not see much oil around the turbo area.
Thanks

can you tell if its from one side of the motor or is it from the bottom, top, rear or behind the pulleys at the front? has the oil filter come loose? more info needed

Passenger side- below turbo, toward bottom of the engine - toward the rear of engine, not near pulleys - opposite side of oil filter

Water temp was good, engine felt normal, throttle response was normal - Low oil message came on only after stop the car.

I just cant think of exactly whats there to fail so badly it would dump that amount of oil and because i dont have my ute at the moment i cant go and have a quick look to check.

Turbo drain pipe as above. That's about the only thing around there, if not that maybe the oil pressure switch, but I don't know if that's on that side of the motor...

I think the turbocharger oil feed is from there. Could be a loose nut, might be a bent pipe, damaged seal (please, no jokes about Seaworld). Other than that I can't think of what is down there.

If it's under warranty still then yes. Should be pretty easy to see where its coming from looking under the car. Would be easier on a hoist tho...

bet a d40 it is the turbo oil feed pipe as it is pressurized from the oil pump it is a solid pipe located at the rear left from bottom of the block to top of turbo either the bolt has come loose or pipe has cracked that is why lost heaps of oil fast

Correct! Bottom part of hose from turbo to oil sump!
Now the debate between Nissan and the 4wd shop that fitted the catch can....

Attachments

• IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 99
If the 4WD shop plumbed the catch can's drain to the oil feed return line then the 4WD shop is going to be assumed as responsible by Nissan.

If they just fitted a catch can in the normal fashion (intercepting the PCV only, nothing else) then the catch can has nothing to do with the turbocharger oil feed and Nissan are responsible.

Latest posts

Back