Engine shutting off and taking a while to starr

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amosm92

Reaction score
Hey guys got a slight problem with my zd30 . When ever I start the car after its been sitting there for a while (like overnight) it dies shortly after and I have to keep turning it over whilst pumping the gas pedal to get it to start. But then she runs fine after that until the next morning. anyone has/had this problem? Cheers.

Sounds like fuel is draining back from the injector pump.

Though pumping the accelerator will do little more than provide exercise for your right leg.

pump up the fuel primer.
if it takes more than a few pumps to go hard its sucking air in.
filter o rings (including the tap) are the most common source. 2nd is the primer itself.
fitting clear fuel line will let you see the air bubbles in the fuel and you can trace back to where the leak is.
the weirdest one i've heard of is a crack in the pickup tube inside the tank.

also it can be the primer one way valve is leaking and allowing fuel to drain back.

^ Yep, sounds like air to me too.

Usual culprit is a recently changed fuel filter. Then it's the primer bulb gettin' old, and finally the hoses.

Any leak between the fuel pump and the fuel tank won't often show itself as a seeping of diesel, because the fuel line isn't under pressure, it's under vacuum (the pump up the front sucks the fuel from the tank, rather than the tank having a pump that pushes the fuel forwards like the petrol D40 does).

Clear hose will be the fastest way to tell, but if you've just changed your fuel filter then that's your second stop. Checking the primer bulb in the morning is your first!

Well this all makes sense because now that I think of it this started happening a short while after changing the fuel filter. So it could just be the o- ring on the filter needs replacing?

I would check the tap on the fuel filter its located directly underneath it, you open it to drain any water that may have gathered at the base if this is not done up tight or the o ring has worn this will cause this issue as I found out in my gu patrol as the cause once done up finger tight never had the issue again

Latest posts

Back