Exhaust upgrade??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been mentioned before, Im still new to this form. My question is about upgrading my exhaust. I recently put 265/75 16 muddies on the Nav and the turbo lag is very noticable. I want to upgrade, however after talking to some local exhaust guys, they have told me that 2.5" is the biggest they can put in because aparently the vibration from the 3.0l make the exhaust hit on the chassis. And even then he said that 2.5" might hit. I know some of you guys are running 3" have you encounted this problem?? If this is an inherant Nissan problem would I benifit from changing the dump pipe only??

I would rather get the exhaust done first I dont see the need for chiping the ECU. Any advice on this subject would be greatly apprciated.

some guys with the 3" exhaust say it hits, others say it dont/dont notice. depend on the place doing it id say.

Just put a decent size bit of silastics between the exhaust and body where it hits....my exhaust vibrates against my underbody guards and this is all i did.
When i first started it up after fitting them it was really loud vibrating at idle, but an hr later when the silastic had dried, it was no different to before i fitted the guards. The silastic will wear away over time, but its an easy fix to put more where required.

Thank you for the advice. I found a good place this morning, and I am going for the 2.75" system with the high flow catilytic convertor (all mandrel bent). Getting fitted on tuesday!! Looking foward to it:big_smile: Thanks again for the quick response

I got the exhaust fitted today! What a instant diference, I highly recomend this to anyone disapointed with their performance after upgrading to larger tyres. The only problem is that the exhaust is very close to my greaseable shackle. The shop that fitted it have dinted the tail pipe, hope fully this gives enough clearance. I will post photo's when I work out how

Hi Ozzy,
Just wanting to know where and how much you payed for your ehaust as I live in Mossman.
Regards cabhsv

Ozzy, if you think the exhaust makes a difference, save your pennies and get the chip, i wish i did it years ago, it is a completly different vehicle
Check out the previous threads as i put up a dyno chart on before and after the exhaust and chip.

cheers,

Lance

still waiting on some pennies to get exhaust done. gonna cost a grand to get it fabricated, but goin on a holiday next week and saving up for front and back diff locks when i get back, gonna cost a bit. locks, lift kit and tyres and rims. then a snorkel maybe. should be done by the end of the year

Hi Ozzy,
Just wanting to know where and how much you payed for your ehaust as I live in Mossman.
Regards cabhsv

Hi cabhsv,
I had it done at Northern Exhausts just near the air port cost $1400 fitted (came with a high flow cat) it was premade and the exhaust shop just ordered it in. Shop around you may find cheaper. This was the cheapest I found. I couldn't find any one in Cairns that had a mandrel bender in their workshop, so this is why I went with the premade.

Ozzy, if you think the exhaust makes a difference, save your pennies and get the chip, i wish i did it years ago, it is a completly different vehicle
Check out the previous threads as i put up a dyno chart on before and after the exhaust and chip.

cheers,

Lance

Hi Lance S,
Just wanted to know how much did the DP chip cost and what sort of power diferance did you get? I havent looked into it yet but I have been told that I would only see a 10 to 15 KW differance that cant be right can it?

Hi Lance S,
Just wanted to know how much did the DP chip cost and what sort of power diferance did you get? I havent looked into it yet but I have been told that I would only see a 10 to 15 KW differance that cant be right can it?

Sounds fine to me. 10% worse emissions, 10% more torque.

What was the difference in noise like because i really want to give the ute some more power but i already went through my loud exaust stage with my last car. Does it make it much louder?

What was the difference in noise like because i really want to give the ute some more power but i already went through my loud exaust stage with my last car. Does it make it much louder?

Not sure on the 3l, but doesn't usually become much louder, you tend to get more turbo spooling noise. I'm running my D40 without a muffler with no real noticeable increase in noise.

I have only just found this forum (Just started looking actually)

I have been looking into some exhaust mods on my D22 as well as the stock system is stupidly restrictive, particularly the main muffler.

So far I have done the following experimenting.

• Removed the rear muffler. This made a noticeable difference in the mid range and upper revs. The old demented piccolo sound that you often hear from the D22 under load was much louder here but the exhaust overall was pretty quiet.

• Removed the exhaust back to the cat. The piccolo disappeared, no real change in performance by the seat of the pants compared to just dropping the rear muffler. Still pretty quiet, I reckon it would easily pass a roadworthy noise wise. The whistles must come from the resonator although it is simply a straight through design with about 20 holes in the pipe.

• Removed the exhaust back to the dump pipe outlet flange. A much greater increase in noise but I reckon it would squeak through a roadworthy, just. There was a large increase in turbine noise (As in you can actually hear it!) sounded sort of cool but a bit raw, you would get sick of it. Still pretty quiet inside the car.

That was as far as I went, I was not prepared to run it without the dump pipe and having hot exhaust pointed straight at the firewall. The design is pretty horrific though with a 90 degree change of direction in about an inch and a half of pipe length. Has anyone changed only the dump and does it make much difference by itself? If people have fitted aftermarket ones, have they got any pictures? Most websites show pretty generic pics. I assume an aftermarket dump pipe means an aftermarket cat as the flange is pretty unique.

I am seriously considering building it a 2.5" exhaust but I have not decided yet if I will go from the turbo back or just cobble it on to the exit flange at the cat. I am thinking of using one smallish straight through muffler (Probably an XR6 Falcon one, it is basically a perforated pipe with a mild S bend in it stuck inside a fiberglass packed muffler, hold it on the right angle and you can see out the other end)

I got a 2.75 straight thru from beaudesert exhaust. Whole kit pretty easy to install and included everything you'd need. Dump pipe was a bit tight but managable. Noise is not overly loud - just enough to warm the heart :)

plenty of pics of exhausts on the forum, just do a few searchs. 2 pics in my garage as well

Back