extended ball joint

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
made up some extended ball joint spacers so i can do away with my total chaos arms and keep everything factory what do you fella's reckon it should work.

Attachments

• IMG-20130417-00028.jpg
    IMG-20130417-00028.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 2,348
  • IMG-20130417-00029.jpg
    IMG-20130417-00029.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 805
I like the work, nice job.

The ONLY thing that I think could be an issue is in high strain - say clambering over an obstacle (speed hump, gutter, rocks, wheel ruts) the stress on the extended joint will be greater than the unextended joint. It might represent a potential wear point? Also, on extension, steering geometry will be different to original so the vehicle may not turn the same - be interesting to see what it does to the turning circle.

So is that basically a "cup" that you will (I guess) weld into the upper arm, with the original hole reamed out to suit the size of the cup? Then the inner dimension of the cup takes a standard ball joint?

I like the idea and thought about it myself but will the suspension geometry still work properly or suff due to the stiffness in this drop bracket would be the main worry.

yeah will try and play around with em on my next days off it will be interesting, the cost of the uniballs on the total chaos is high and they wear out every few years, caster wont be an issue it's getting the camber right wich will be time consuming with these spacers.

yeah had a play and they didn't drop far enough they would only work for a 50mm spring lift and a 10mm strut spacer, it's a shame because the camber was spot on with the factory arms. So now i will cut the uniball housing out of the total chaos arms i have and replace with the new ball joint spacers i made and see how that goes. just want to do away with the uniball set up.

How much did TC want for the Uniballs?
PRG sells complete rebuild kits for $163 US shipped and that's 4 Heim Joints and 2 Uniballs.I thought that was pretty cheap so curious why the move away from the Uniball.

Other than that the extensions look really good

How much did TC want for the Uniballs?
PRG sells complete rebuild kits for $163 US shipped and that's 4 Heim Joints and 2 Uniballs.I thought that was pretty cheap so curious why the move away from the Uniball.

Other than that the extensions look really good
$140 bucks each aussie and thats from webster bearings here in tas so if i change them to these ball joints it will only cost $40 a side.

So i decided to go to plan B and replace the uniballs in my total chaos arms with the factory ball joint and spacer i made, they came up pretty good, now no more exspensive uniballs. here's some pics one at normal ride hieght and one at full flex and one of the jig.

Attachments

• IMG-20130511-00039.jpg
    IMG-20130511-00039.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG-20130511-00041.jpg
    IMG-20130511-00041.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG-20130511-00040.jpg
    IMG-20130511-00040.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 544
Really like what you have done. I have recently had a lift done on my 13 spain nav and would not except the banging on down travel. Been trying to find an answer and talked to a shop here on the GC that are offering extended ball joint's. Luckily I found this thread as I have my car booked in tomorrow to have the ball joints and adj bushes installed to fix the camber ;)

I dont have the gear to fab up a set myself - and definetly not the welding skills to make it as neat as yours ;)

Performance Suspension Labrador GC are doing mine installed for $150 which I think is pretty good. Upper and Lower super pro bushes installed and extended ball joints and an alignment- $488 all up (I am supplying the bushes myself so thaat cost in not included)

Again great job on the fab work.

I just received some extended ball joints for my 2012 V6, V9X engine STX from performance suspensions.

Their web page has 2 different listings for the 550 Nav which is not correct. Basically Thai and Spanish built Nav's have different ball joints with some installing from the top and others from the bottom. I made the mistake of ordering the one which installs from the top, so I had to send it back for an exchange.

This is the correct ball joint for a 2012 Spanish V6 V9X diesel Nav.

http://www.performancesuspension.co...g-front-extended-balljoints-psrnav-001-1.html

psrnav-001-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joint_16_1.jpg

Other design to suit Thai built D40's
(incorrect listing for 550)
http://www.performancesuspension.co...g-front-extended-balljoints-psrnav-002-1.html

psrnav-002-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joints_16_1.jpg

attachment.jpg

_

Last edited:
im glad this thread has poped up, one of the fellas from the Zigzag trip had these installed, Ive been trying to think of the pros and cons of adding the extended ball joints in to the factory arms if i have spacers already installed....

can some of the more technical guys chime in with some input??
is it worth it? potential problems?

I just received some extended ball joints for my 2012 V6, V9X engine STX from performance suspensions.

Their web page has 2 different listings for the 550 Nav which is not correct. Basically Thai and Spanish built Nav's have different ball joints with some installing from the top and others from the bottom. I made the mistake of ordering the one which installs from the top, so I had to send it back for an exchange.

This is the correct ball joint for a 2012 Spanish V6 V9X diesel Nav.

http://www.performancesuspension.co...g-front-extended-balljoints-psrnav-001-1.html

psrnav-001-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joint_16_1.jpg

Other design to suit Thai built D40's
(incorrect listing for 550)
http://www.performancesuspension.co...g-front-extended-balljoints-psrnav-002-1.html

psrnav-002-nissan-navara-d40-extended-ball-joints_16_1.jpg

attachment.jpg

_

looks like you have chopped the coil bucket back? did you still need to do that even with the extended ball joints or was it done prior to them being fitted.

I've been running these for a while now and reckon they are great. Camber is heaps better (cant say exactly with numbers as I haven't had an alignment but tyre wear is good) and you regain down travel after a lift.

You only need to trim a small area around the ball joint on the UCA to gain clearance for the rubber boot. Any one else fitted these yet?

-

Latest posts

Back