Extended Shackles

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

What brand of extended shackles are you runnin? (snake, superior etc)

Any good?

Looking for some that give around 40/50mm lift.

Ayting i should look out for? (geaseable pins etc)

Looking to get some next pay.

Not legal in Victoria, not sure about the other states.

yeah i rekn mine would still take a ton. i was refering to it at max flex.

Tommy if your just after flex and dont carry much load your better off sticking to the factory leafs, a new set will be stiff and wont flex as much as a worn in set will. To get a leaf pack that does flex then youll be lowering the recommonded weight at the same time.
Go the drop shackles.. and when you get new shocks invert them. should flex very nice.

mmm, now you all got me thinkin'
stock leaves, drop shackles and inverted shocks = Flex
Whats the go with inverted shocks? Guessing more weight on the diff.
Kinda like the idea of adjustable shocks. Wish Boss would bring out ones to suited the front of Nav's.

Joshy, how much wheel travel are you getting?

Not legal in Victoria, not sure about the other states.

NSW, so.....

Superior shackles all the way

Thanks Zordo. also the bodylift kit was sweet. Used 4 of the factory bolts in the tray (instead of 2) because I couldn't get the supplied bolts through the tray holes. Thanks Again.

inverting the shocks lets them work easier, follows the radius of the diff when it drops, when there mounted up and down like now they can bind and not be as effective. Not sure how much travel, maxn out 2 inch longer shocks and get atleast 4(prob more) more inches with em out. Check out the last pics i put in the gallery

inverting shocks is not putting the shocks in upside down (as they won't work!) but moving the top more to the centre of the vechile.
not sure on what regs you would have for welding new mounting points etc and also i think you would need longer shocks.

whered i say upside down? Yes ull need longer shocks but ull need them for the drop shackles anyway. Locktup do a kit for inverting the rear on luxs, its 20mm narower from memory so u could just add 2 10mm spacer but its fairly straight forward to make your own

inverting shocks in non-4x4 world is fitting shocks upside down to lower unsprung weight.
i have no idea why 4x4's call shifting shock mounts "inverting" as nothing is inverted. comp vechiles often run upside down shocks to keep the body of the shock away from being damaged which is important with mono tube shocks. for us mere mortols double wall shocks are better as they can handle getting small dents in them.

Last edited:
OK. Got ya.

So its more a geometry thing.
Dont think i'll bother, too many people say that it increases body roll. :(
Might just extend the top shock mounts. (should be able to get 2" + with the bodylift on)

Ran all weekend without shocks in, few of the guys reckon id easily have over 18" of travel.

Ran all weekend without shocks in, few of the guys reckon id easily have over 18" of travel.

mmm, not bad, not bad at all.

How much weight do u carry in the back?

Thanks, will help with my calculations.
(thinking out loud)
need at least 18" travel shocks prob 20"ish closed length.
20*2.54~500mm closed length

from Index

Shock Sizes:

12SA 219-320
12SA 245-372
12SA 279-440
12SA 295-472
12SA 324-530
12SA 331-545
12SA 336-555
12SA 344-570
12SA 353-588
12SA 356-595
12SA 386-655
12SA 394-670
12SA 404-690
12SA 444-670
12SA 482-880
12SA 559-1000 That is correct 441mm of travel or 17.64 inches

*NOTE: The part number corresponds to extended and compressed length on the shock.
i.e. 559 is equal to 559 mm compressed and 1000 is equal to 1000 mm extended.

Time to get out the tape measure...

make your own, $200 cheaper. Snake racing site says how much longer theres are so i just made mine that much longer then factory. 10mm plates, bit wider then factory, then if you want weld a bit of RHS in the centre to stop them from twisting. But if you dont it will help the flex/wear out the bushes faster.

mate where did you get your shackle pins from?

I bought a cheep set of standard length gresable shackles through Repco, cut the pins out and welded into longer, thicker, stronger side plates. No dramas with them to date. Kept the smooth factory ride and got the lift I wanted. Just wound up the torsion bars to suit and got an alignment done. Will put pics up when I can.

I know its not much good to you aussie guys, but if any uk drivers are after extended shackles Tarrantula do a set for a series landrover that are 75 mm longer between holes and lift the d22 2.5 inches. i just had to machine the metal bush inserts. Cost about the same as 3 beers (pints). Just remember to get longer shocks as the only benefit is the lift not travel.
As a side note what do you southern hemisphere boys think of TJM shocks?
I think they are great and in the uk thay are about the only company that supply bits to improve the D22 that doesnt involve bling. No one here of roads pick ups

Nav-pilots rear shackles

These are the superior engineering rear extended shackles.
They gave me just over an inch lift from the standard ones.
Origanal shackles are 70mm between bolt centres.
Superiors are 120mm between bolt centres.
Snake racing i think were 140mm between centres.
Im quite happy with this lift as i gained lift in the rear when i removed the tub & installed my tray.
Thought someone might be interested in the different heights of the shackles.

rear_ext_shackles_2.jpg

According to the Australian Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) series, extended shackles cannot be used. Ie, they are illegal. This applies to every state and territory.

Not trying to start an argument or debate on whether or not the law makes sense, or whether or not you want to follow the law - just letting people know.

Latest posts

Back