Extended Shackles

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly spray the shackles black, let em get a bit of road grime and dirt on em so they look old and who is going to know they are illegal, they will look standard.

Are the shackles easy to change out with extended ones? Wat do i need?

The shackles are very easy to change.
Simply jack the back of the nav up so there is about 4" or so of the ground (the higher the better), Put axle stands under your chassis rail to support the car.
Use a trolley jack under the centre of the diff to control the up & down movement of the diff (springs).
Undo one shackle first and make sure all your supports are a okay.
Pull the shackle out (may need a tap with the hammer).
I used a long steel bar between the chassis & back of the spring to lever the springs down to intsall the new shackles.
Then simply do bolts up and repeat the other side.
It is all very simple to do, Just check all your supports properly.

As for painting the shackles black that is a good idea.
I was going to get them powdercoated but was to inpatianent to get them on.

Once you put the extended shackles on do you have to adjust the brake thing at the back on the diff as I have picked up a set of snake racing shackles to put on.

Im gettin mine this thursday, will give it a go my self, They say there 3 times the normal size, should be good.
I hear that i might need some nolothane bushs, is that true or are the old ones good

Last edited:
the other option is to fit axle blocks that way it does not effect your flex but gives you the lift you are chasing snake racing advertises them but heaps cheaper if you know some one who you can get them from about to do mine that way

how can you fit axle blocks, with a spring over combination ,, when the handbrake cable runs across the top of spring ????:rant::rant:

Im gettin mine this thursday, will give it a go my self, They say there 3 times the normal size, should be good.
I hear that i might need some nolothane bushs, is that true or are the old ones good

should look really nice !!!!(NOT)!!!! EXT SHACKLES LOOK LIKE CRAP,,THEY ARE A CHEAP AND NASTY WAY OF LIFTING A VEHICLE.... people did this years ago, as nothing was available on the 4x4 market to get lift.. now the market is flooded with them,, these companies spend $thousands on development, and you want to put on $10 ext shackles, yes $10 thats all it costs to make them .. and you payed $200 or more ,, i would of bought rear springs :devil:

Honestly spray the shackles black, let em get a bit of road grime and dirt on em so they look old and who is going to know they are illegal, they will look standard.

uuuhhhhh dddeeerrrr,,, any one that follows, and sees a crappy bit of steel hanging 8-10 inches down to the spring ,with a bit of rhs to try and keep it in place .... not to mention when the thing rolls over, going around a tight bend ,, YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WONT PAY UP !!!!!!!!!:devil::devil:

uuuhhhhh dddeeerrrr,,, any one that follows, and sees a crappy bit of steel hanging 8-10 inches down to the spring ,with a bit of rhs to try and keep it in place .... not to mention when the thing rolls over, going around a tight bend ,, YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WONT PAY UP !!!!!!!!!:devil::devil:

show me cars that have rolled from using extended shackles...

extended shackles give an inch of lift, how will that cause the car to roll easier vs say a 3 or 4" suspension lift?

i reckon a set of muddies would have more effect on you going around a tight bend then your standard extended shackle.

considering the leaf spring design has been used since the start of 4wd's and even pre 4wd's id say theres been ways to lift them for about the same amount of time, maybe just not as accessible as what it is these days.

My old man worked in the 4x4 accessories industry 30 years ago and they had suspension lift kits and bodylifts then. I don't know how old this D**K HEAD is but I suspect the old peoples home just got an internet connection and he is bitter that the transport dept revoked his lincence.

Latest posts

Back