Fatmans New Navara 03 Str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carry a jerry can with you with an exact quantity of fuel in it (20L, etc). Run your tank dry, fill up on the side of the road, reset your trip meter and drive to a petrol station. Fill it up and note the number of litres added. That plus your jerry can is the fuel input. Fill the jerry can again. Run the car dry again. When it runs dry, take your trip meter read out, adjust it based on how inaccurate you know your speedometer to be, and divide the number of kilometres by the number of litres of fuel and you have km/L as accurately as possible.

Carry a jerry can with you with an exact quantity of fuel in it (20L, etc). Run your tank dry, fill up on the side of the road, reset your trip meter and drive to a petrol station. Fill it up and note the number of litres added. That plus your jerry can is the fuel input. Fill the jerry can again. Run the car dry again. When it runs dry, take your trip meter read out, adjust it based on how inaccurate you know your speedometer to be, and divide the number of kilometres by the number of litres of fuel and you have km/L as accurately as possible.

Jesus thats hard work. Fill up, zero trip meter, drive until emptyish (doesn't really matter) fill up again, get number of litres and divide it into how many hundreds of km's you've done & hey presto.

eg: 450km on 65litres fuel- 65 divided into 4.5 = 14.44444 litres per 100km

Jesus thats hard work. Fill up, zero trip meter, drive until emptyish (doesn't really matter) fill up again, get number of litres and divide it into how many hundreds of km's you've done & hey presto.

eg: 450km on 65litres fuel- 65 divided into 4.5 = 14.44444 litres per 100km

That's how I'd do it but it's not the most accurate as you can't know you've filled the tank to the same point each time. Easier though and I do that all the time.

I just fill mine to the top of the neck each time, accurate enough for me. Give the truck a rock to make sure there are no air bubbles. It's not a lab analysis :p

Ok the test has been run and i dont believe my figures lol
I waited till the fuel light came on then filed up with $50, it was 44 litres of fuel
I then travelled till the light came on again...total k's 420k's
So 420 divided by 44 = 9.5
I drive it like i stole it...and these sounds a reasonable figure yes? for a 3.3 petrol ?

Not quite. Lets look at the units, you are trying to work out litres/100km. litres is easy, you used 44L. Now how many lots of 100km's did you do? 420/100 = 4.2.

Therefore, our equation is: 44L / 4.2 = 10.47L/100km

You have worked out km's/L ie 420/44 = 9.5, ie, how many km's can I drive with 1L of fuel. To then get L/100km we can invert (swap km/L to L/km) and multiply by 100 and get the same result as above, ie (44/420)*100 = (1/9.5)*100 = 0.1047*100 = 10.47L/100km, same as above.

Just think of the units, they tell the story no matter what quantity you are dealing with, whether it be psi or Nm, most of the time anyway! Off track a bit the common metric pressure is kpa or Bar, where these units give no meaning to the physical quantity, ie you have to remember what a kpa is, you can't work it out from first principles, which I think is why most people still work in psi for the unit of pressure. Its probably easier to remember metre's of head and convert to kpa ie a column of water 1m high produces a pressure of 10kpa or 0.01Bar. Sorry for the rant but it is one quantity I struggle to get a 'feel' for in the metric equivalent.

Anyway..... Still not too bad though, not much worse than the diesel, but I wonder what it would be like through the Simpson or similar compared to the diesel.

So even with the increase on fuel tax for you Brisbanites, you are still paying 50/44 = $1.13 per litre for fuel? Its at least 5c more than that here in SA.

Last edited:
10.47L/100km's ain't to bad at all. Pretty much even with a ZD30 powered D22.

I did my own calculation's to double check.

You wont get much better then that with the VG33E.

Dave.

So your fuel light comes on with 30L of fuel left in the tank?

Anyway if those figures are right id be happy.

I had a mate with V6 D22 (a while ago) and he didnt get more than 400k (at best) to a 70L tank. Didnt matter how he drove it. Lucky it was a company car.

So your fuel light comes on with 30L of fuel left in the tank?

Anyway if those figures are right id be happy.

I had a mate with V6 D22 (a while ago) and he didnt get more than 400k (at best) to a 70L tank. Didnt matter how he drove it. Lucky it was a company car.

I dont know whats left in the tank but the fuel lights comes on, i put 44 litres in it, then when that 44 litres runs out i guess the fuel light comes on again? not sure what you mean by 30 litres left?
I always get around 450ish k's to a tank, big test in 2 weeks when i do brizzy to sydney.....

Latest posts

Back