few questions towing, power etc.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted22

Reaction score
Howdy guys im new to the forum, i have a 2006 str its the very last of the 3ltr, and got a few general questions.

Who tows with there 3ltr nav and what speed do you sit on, do you use 5th gear at all for towing.

I tow a enclosed tandem bike trailer, and i normally have to sit in 4th rev'n the guts out of her to sit on about 105km, some times i try shift to 5th when i hit the flat but just dies in the arse, and hitting any hills is even worse.

Have done the egr mod, and fitted a aftermarket sports exhaust which to me only really notice when im not towing and up at about mid range in power. I currently just brought a whole heap bends and i had a big front mount left over from one of my race cars, so once all the bends come il be fitting that up and hope fully that helps out alot.

Maybe its just me as to thinking its so gutless, as its ever since i have been in me mates d40 which goes like shit to mine lol, what boost does a stock 3ltr run and has anyone up theres slightly, cheers phill.

Hey mate.

Did you get the dump pipe changed to ?

I will tow in 5th on the flat, drop back to 4th just before a hill though.

Have you considered a chip ?

On the topic of Chips. Look at Chipit and Northsides UniChip.

The only 2 really worth investing in.

well we tow up to 3 ton plus. no problem maintaining 100kmh on the flat in 5th. hills of course need lower gears. after all its a 110kw D22 not a 120-140k D40.
tho i must admit the wrong design trailer can cause so much drag you will be stuck in 4th no matter what.

I tow my 1000kg ski boat around at 100kmph in 5th gear no worries. Even before the chip it was 5th gear and then 4th only up hills. What size tires do you have?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Forum Runner

G'day Boosted

I think Tweak'e is on to it. Your trailer must have a big wind resistance.

I have an 04 Jap 3l. It is chipped, but that is all. I pull a 4m aluminium boat, all up about 700 / 800kg and it cruises at any speed I want to sit it on. 130k (in the Territory of course) in 5th gear no drama's.

The boat has a fairly low wind resistance, I think that has a lot to do with it.

Does your Nav go ok without the trailer? You may have to do some "streamlining" on the trailer.

I guess it uses a lot of fuel when you tow?

hey guys thanks for the repley's, tyres are just stock size, and didnt do the dump pipe just exhaust, my trailer is flat at the front, guess it is kinda a brick, at the front of the trailer its not v at all just flat across, prehaps thats something i could look at too.

not a clear photo of the front but you can kinda see how flat it is, i have a arb canopy too so thought that might helped out 2 as with the top down on the trailer they sit about the same height.

trailer2.jpg
[/IMG]

i would get a mate to tow the trailer and see how it goes.

its not the front shape that matters. the rear is more important. also the rear shape (eg canopy or tub) can make a big difference. its how the airflow over the top of the ute, top of the trailer and how much drag the rear of the trailer makes.

one of the hardest things we have ever towed was a small shed lying down on the trailer. pointed roof pointed to the ute. weight nothing more than 500kg as we loaded it by hand.
full noise in 4th on the flat we could only get to 80km/h.
towing slow speed was easy, just high speed was a major.

Well tomorrow in towing a camery on a car trailer. But I have a canopy on my nav to avoid the wind resistance catching on the camery. I have zd30, snorkel, egr/butterfly swirl thingy. Hope that helps with the towing on mine.. I have to go from Jindabyne to batemans bay via Clyde mountain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:
G'day Boosted

I guess it uses a lot of fuel when you tow?

i have a 120l tank, but fuel wise i didnt think it was so bad, when i went to the finke this year, in one spot i pushed it from full to just about empty, fuel light came on, and that was im pretty sure 627ks out the 120L that was towing the trailer of course loaded with the bike and gear, well im pretty sure thats what is was.

I dunno how other vehicles do it. but my nav had no balls last night towing a car..

I tow a full size caravan that weighs 2600 ks and have no trouble towing in fact i outpull a mate with a 3litre hilux with a smaller van on hills and use the same amount of fuel
cheers phil

I tow a full size caravan that weighs 2600 ks and have no trouble towing in fact i outpull a mate with a 3litre hilux with a smaller van on hills and use the same amount of fuel
cheers phil

really I don't out pull anything lol, must be the trailer and heaps of drag, i mean it's goes good with no trailer I guess, but the only other nav I've been in is a d40 and I know it don't go nothing like that lol, il be installing a boost gauge and front mount over next week or two hopefully the front mount makes alittle difference :)

The intercooler will help when she's loaded up.

More fuel will make her pull harder.

Talk to Northside or Chipit about a Chip.

I personally think every other chip on the market is a fuse on the engine, as all they do is pour in more fuel.

Had to tow my new project car from one side of town to the other last night, the nav pulled her fine except on hill starts which is pretty predictable but I'll wait and see if the front mount makes a difference. I'll be towing this car a bit I think.

I definitly need a chip cooler and exhaust. But I have just bought a 3rd car. As a run about. So the NAV will sit and get worked on :)

howdy guys just a quick up date finished me intercooler setup, fitted a catch can, haven't done any towing just yet only just finished her, not too bad job done for a back yarder lol :)

21f04b86.jpg
abac5ff3.jpg

973e95cb.jpg

Latest posts

Back