Fitting a fire extinguisher

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you can fill an extinguisher yourself a water bottle/tank you can fill from the tap will be cheaper too. We sold a few 9kg water air extinguishers last month for $40 each and probably could have got a lot more for them on ebay so even though 9kg would only fit in the back of the ute they aren't cheap for plain old water when you consider what you can do with a tank full of water

For those D40 owners (I know this is the D22 forum, but D40's can catch on fire too.

I decided I'd try my hand at finding a mounting point near me and it turns out that with a slight modification (ie removal of beer) it's possible to have a fire extinguisher very handy in the D40.

D40_Fire_Ext_Mounting_Point.jpg

Does it slide out of there cleanly if you are in a hurry to get it?

It's quite a handy spot but I wonder if there is much likelihood if it getting jagged on the way out either by it's diameter or by the arm rest on the door.

It's loose enough. And if I'm pushing the door open while I'm grabbing it, the top's pulling away from the door so extra bonus points for whoever thought to put a beer bottle holder in easy reach of the driver.

So now you have to find another stubby holder. You can't use the one in the center console a passenger might want to share.

I threw a fire extinguisher behind the back seat in the Navara. Hope I never have to use it.

Dave.

might mount one of many 4.5kg powder extinguishers i got here somewhere on the new car. probs just chuck it behind the seat with the baseball bat

make sure it's an aluminum baseball bat, wooden ones aren't good for putting out large fires, might need a pair of gloves too.

Baseball bats are too cumbersome. We used to carry 4 cell Mag Lights for a similar purpose, although more often they got used as shark and skate stunners on the beach because we aren't violent types.

yeah, my mate who was in security had a big special 5 or 6 cell maglite that was a beast.

as it had a serial number on the end cap when he clobbered a guy with the base of the maglite it left the serial number imprinted on him, lol

i've never had to use the bat, but theres been plenty of times where i've considered it. my mate also kept a bat in the back of his supra here in perth after he had a bunch of the aboriginals bottle his car whilst he was waiting in the drive thru at maccas...

Hey all, I'm actually a firefighter from brissy and I would only recommend using water as a last resort on a vehicle fire.

I've put out numerous car fires and a small 1kg extinguisher is useful only in the initial stages of a vehicle fire, such as small fuel and electrical fires etc.
If the vehicle fire is in the engine bay chances are that is a fuel or oil fire to start with which can be put out with a dry chemical extinguisher but if it escalates and the engine block begins to burn it is usually too late to save.
Magnesium in engine blocks and steering wheels is highly volatile and reacts violently with water causing it to vaporize and explode molten metal everywhere!
We do extinguish car fires with water and a foam mix and most of the time we do not save the entire car as by the time we get there from the call it is far too late as car fires do burn fiercely. I always have a 1kg powder extinguisher on board and have a fire blanket as well, you can never be too careful as it is cheap insurance when a firetruck is usually at least 8mins away.
These small extinguishers don't last long as Jason said 10secs, so they are capable of extinguishing a small area and can be used on Wood, paper & cloth, flammable liquid fires and electrical based fires.
I hope this helps?

Latest posts

Back