Fitting Rear Springs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradM

Reaction score
I have just bought a set of comfort Tuff Dog rear springs for the D22 to match up to the TD bars fitted up front plus greasable shackles, etc.

Any tips on fitting rear springs to MY 2008 D22 ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

It's not a big, nor complex job. Just take your time & be observant. The biggest drama I had was getting the front pin to line up at the same time as keeping the spring located on the axle - You may need to use a second jack to adjust the hieght of the front of the spring at the same time as keeping forward pressure on the spring (I used a breaker bar jammed in the rear shackle, but whatever works for you). I also had a front pin that would not come out of the old spring - so out come the grinder and in went a new pin).

Oh, and make sure you use jack stands to support the ute while your under it - lest it all turns to tears!

Thanks for the info. Can only give it a go. Have new greasable front pins to replace the nissan ones and grinder at the ready.

Cheers

It's not a big, nor complex job. Just take your time & be observant. The biggest drama I had was getting the front pin to line up at the same time as keeping the spring located on the axle - You may need to use a second jack to adjust the hieght of the front of the spring at the same time as keeping forward pressure on the spring (I used a breaker bar jammed in the rear shackle, but whatever works for you). I also had a front pin that would not come out of the old spring - so out come the grinder and in went a new pin).

Oh, and make sure you use jack stands to support the ute while your under it - lest it all turns to tears!

i had the same problem on the drivers side front spring, had to heat it with a butane torch till the bush melted and pull it out with a pair of multi grips, passenger side came straight out thou, you should fit the front end of the new spring then put the shackle on the chassis and swing it up to it, and have a jack under the axle to adjust it to the spring, triple check bolts are tight especially the u-bolts

x2 on the front pin first. Did mine last week rear springs and t/bars, Shocks allround and greasable pins and shackles

For those of you who like me now have changed out the rear springs, I salute you. What a sh..t of a job on your own.

Drives and rides better than new now.

For those of you who like me now have changed out the rear springs, I salute you. What a sh..t of a job on your own.

Agree! I've done mine three times now. The originals out is the worst though, with a stuck pin.

Mate, just make sure you re-check all bolts after drivin for a week or so. Especially the u-bolts! They will settle in and work loose generally.

Nah piece of piss, You didn,t have the tools.:sarcastic: I had my 2 boys helping while i gave the orders, 17 mm spanner now, now i want a 19 mm socket. Makes easier not having to get out from under ute. The brought every thing to me and the wife made coffee. I was lucky 04 model nav and nothing got stuck not a pin or a bush

Last edited:
Nah piece of piss, You didn,t have the tools. I had my 2 boys helping while i gave the orders, 17 mm spanner now, now i want a 19 mm socket. Makes easier not having to get out from under ute. The brought every thing to me and the wife made coffee. I was lucky 04 model nav and nothing got stuck not a pin or a bush

You are right of course. Home alone, uneven carport, etc, etc but it's done and what a difference. Front end alignment next to set it up properly. It is great to see the wife's ute actually sitting level but slightly raised at the back.

Also will check the bolts after 1000k

My brother and I installed mine in like 40 minutes.

Him having a rattle gun help, I have a few big breaker bars whichs helped to.

I had a good run with mine.

how long roughly before the rear springs will sag?, mine is noticeably higher at the back and i have left the 10mm gap on the front upper bum stops

I put ironman springs in 2 weeks ago done about 600 km, Probably dropped about 10 mm so far at the back. Torsion bars came down about 10 mm as well after about 400 km waited that first week to wind it up again then got the alignment

how long roughly before the rear springs will sag?, mine is noticeably higher at the back and i have left the 10mm gap on the front upper bum stops

Well mine has sagged 0mm (i have remeasured only recently when i had an empty tray) after around 70,000 km now in the rear. I've adjusted the front when i put the winch in a while back but haven't had any sag there either. Heavy Duty dobinsons both ends, and as a tradie i carry tools and often quite a deal of heavy materials. I think having the HD springs helps the springs having to get overworked. I also have about 20mm difference in the rear from front. You really only need to drive down the street and back to settle the springs. do that steering wheel swinging to transfer weights around just don't hit anything lol

Back