fitting tub liner ,anti rusting tub??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodywhite

Reaction score
Hi all I have recently purchased a new 2013 Nissan navara st-r d22 it didn't come with a tub liner so I just bought a genuine one from a aftermarket dealer for $300
I'm looking at putting it in this weekend but I'm not to sure whether I should spray some sort of anti rust spray in the tub before putting the liner in or just leaving it the way it is any help or info would be great thanks :)

Mate those plastic tub liners are trouble. Dirt sand etc gets under the plastic and scratches the steel tray, then water gets under and causes rust. I got rid of mine and put a spray on liner in.

You can rust proof it, just buy some rust converter / primer from supercheap. Still wont stop the plastic tub liner scratching the steel tray. I removed mine and some small rust spots had started. Sanded it back, rust coverter, and bought the UPOL Raptor spray on ute liner. Bloody fantastic stuff. Best money i spent. Sold the plastic liner for $20. Scrap plastic as far as im concerned.

Last edited:
As above. You can't stop it either. Dirt, dust, cane toad testicles, sand, insects, twigs, leaves and all other manner of debris will get between the plastic liner and metal beneath any protection you choose to use, and will eventually wear it away.

Spray-on Rhino liner (or equivalent, I think Raptor make one too) is far more effective, does the same job and won't let anything underneath it!

I did Raptor spray liner a few months ago have given it a flogging and only damaged it slightly , but I'd expect that from a concrete pole , dog doesn't slip too much on it either,

does this product come in different colours such as White ? anyone have any pics of the finished result ? sounds good.

They do a black, or a tintable version. I did the black a couple months ago.... Absolutely awesome stuff. Forget about a plastic piece of crap.

For $300 you can buy a kit that has 4 x 1L bottles, 1L of hardener and a Shutz gun.

All you need is a compressor to spray it on. Pour a bit of hardener into one of the bottles, shake it up, attach to the Shutz gun and spray. Or you can roll it in with a roller.

Yeah it is. But no need to buy a genuine Raptor Schultz gun, the bloke who sold it to me at the paint shop sold me a cheaper gun that did the same job.

The other option is use a tub liner and replace the whole tray for very little.. say $300 or less.. heaps of trays available new due to alloy tray conversions

Greg

Yeah but who could be arsed having to source one, unbolting the old one, fitting the new one and hooking up the wiring then getting rid of the old one etc.

Easier to just protect the one you have. The spray on liner is the easy bit, the prep takes a while if you do it right. I used an orbital sander with an 80 grit pad, degrease the whole tray down, primed any bits i had drawn bare metal on and away i went.

I got it from Lonsdale paint shop in Adelaide. Not much benefit for yourself, but perhaps just try ringing around some paint shops. Will be around 300 with a gun.

Latest posts

Back