fixing gap in the tailgate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone:victory:...just wondering if anyone has managed to find a product that fills in the gap that is at the base of the tail gate and style side wall of the tray to stop the dust from sucking up in....i am thinking of getting some camper trailer rubber seals but was just interested in others opinions
cheers n beers
Andrew

This has been heavily discussed elsewhere on here, search for something like pollen filters in the d40, odd search topic I know but the convo diverted a little once or twice

I have recently done some decent sealing using an automotive rubber seal. Will try to remember to take some pics this weekend. Works like an absolute treat.

I used I think it is called pinch weld, its a u shaped plastic thingy with a metal inner and has a round rubber strip glued on I got it from clark rubber, you will need to remove the 2 rubber stops to fit it and along the bottom I used a high densidy foam self adhesive tape which was about 25mm x 6mm also from clark rubber

Okay here is the solution I have installed on my tailgate - affixed every (from memory) 200mm with stainless self tappers.

I bought the rubber extrusion from Clark rubber. It's a simple "C" section, however looks fully enclosed when you buy it. You pull out/remove one part of the extrusion before you install it. If I can find the part number I will post it.

Anyway, so far has proved to be totally water and dust proof.

The only complexity was around the latches etc, where I had to use some high density foam strips.

Hope the attached pics help.

Oh, and yesterday I had a one piece hard lid installed. My next chapter of dust prevention has now commenced.

Attachments

• IMG_0220 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0220 (Large).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0221 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0221 (Large).JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0222 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0222 (Large).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0224 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0224 (Large).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 166
:victory: Perfect thanks Anthony.

I've only really been concerned with this since our recent trip to Landcruiser Park. The dirt that gets in is amazing.

Looks like a fairly simple fix. Pity Nissan overlooks the basics so often, :angry:

Hoo Roo

Seemed to me that the main problem was the bottom of the tailgate area - the dust seemed to "suck" up along the bottom edge of the tailgate.

Probably not really a problem for those who are primarily urban dwellers or for those who don't mind a little dust. Maybe I'm a neat freak :) Anyway, it solved the problem nicely.

I will try to get out to Clark Rubber and get the part number of the seal.

To describe it, it is sort of a "D" shape when it comes off the roll, then before you install it you tear out what I would describe as the "left hand side upright of the "D" So you are left with.....sort of a "C".....Except it is slightly more angular....not quite an L...not quite an <.....anyway....I left the open side facing down so that it wouldn't capture dirt and debris. Similarly by placing fixtures (in my case, stainless self tappers) every couple of hundred mm, nothing can easily get trapped between the rubber and the panel. Now that it has done a few thousand kays, I am thinking of replacing the self tappers with rivets. If I could find the nice little plastic plugs that manufacturers use to secure door seals to door panels I would use them instead. But rivets will do I am sure :)

If I could find the nice little plastic plugs that manufacturers use to secure door seals to door panels I would use them instead. But rivets will do I am sure :)

You will find these available at the dealers, wont matter Ford, Nissan etc,
or go to the wreckers youll find heaps.
If i get time I'll have a look at my Ford Microcat parts cat and post the part no's if some want new ones.

Maybe if you can take a pic of the rubber in a section view and put it up if you have an offcut.

Mate if you can find a number that would be awesome. I threw out the couple of offcuts I had (am cleaning up prior to selling the house - am moving from Canberra to Tassie in a few months time).

It really annoys me because I normally keep an offcut of things like this for future reference. For occasions like this, or for if I need to buy more for my own use. Never the less....I'll try to get out to Clark Rubber. I know the hook it hangs on. A part number would probably be the most use.

If I could find the nice little plastic plugs that manufacturers use to secure door seals to door panels I would use them instead. But rivets will do I am sure :)

If your still after these little plastic clips,
go to a ford dealer and give them this part no.

#V 860276 S .....Territory.

clip.....weatherseal.

cat says there's qty 12 in a pack but just verify this at the counter and
list price =$2.45 back in aug '08 though currently could be cheaper or dearer, just depends on demand, pricing can change on a daily basis though my parts disks pricing,
without being connected to the ford server,
gives a price for the month,
until a new disk is issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it helps:

I have a canopy on the back plus a tub liner. I found a "P" shaped rubber strip (from that good rubber shop) that I then inserted between the tray and tub liner. Added a couple short 10mm foam strips at the corners to seal the last gaps. About 70% effective.

If you have a canopy then you also need to check for other open holes in the tray and seal them. Then look for a way of adding positive air pressure to the canopy when on the move.

I took the approach of adding a blower (boating bilge blower & vent) in front of canopy just behind the cabin, not on roof. Parts about $50-60 plus my labour). I can switch the blower on when needed, it draws power from the second battery and only runs when ign is on. About 95% effective - 100% on a Simpson trip. Still get some dust in when towing our camper trailer - I need to work that one out yet.

Ross

I think i have, after a few failed attempts,
come up with a good sealing fix for the D22.
Will post and add pics when satisfied with a good result.

Latest posts

Back