flutter noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
do you guys get a flutter noise threw your snorkels i like the sound i almost want to make it louder ? but im assuming its a normal sound coz of the turbo .:rambo::rambo:

We get a growling sound, a bit like a bear - and not the guy that just got out of jail.

It's called induction noise - the sound of a diesel sucking air through a really long hose. Our diesels draw the full 2.488 litres of air every 2 revolutions of the engine, so at 750rpm (nominal idle) they're breathing in 2.488*750/2=933 litres - almost a cubic metre - of air every minute.

That's a huge amount of air. Almost worth getting a snorkel just to make the most of it.

Wait until you rev it! At full song - say 3500rpm where the power is really belting out - it's gulping down 3500 * 2.488/2 = 4.3 cubic metres of air per minute.

If you want to know how much that is ... it's almost a full cement truck. In 10 minutes, it would fill a backyard swimming pool.

/end trivia

when i put my foot down it sucks loud but if i go from first to second on a slight hill with low revs i get a flutter threw the snorkel lol

Yeah mine makes that noise too, at about 1800rpm and when you back off the throttle. Seems to be louder when the engine is cold.

Wait until you rev it! At full song - say 3500rpm where the power is really belting out - it's gulping down 3500 * 2.488/2 = 4.3 cubic metres of air per minute.

If you want to know how much that is ... it's almost a full cement truck. In 10 minutes, it would fill a backyard swimming pool.

/end trivia

Tried taking the head off the snorkel and sticking your face on there?

I haven't

Tried taking the head off the snorkel and sticking your face on there?

I haven't

Not a chance.

The average total capacity of a pair of adult human lungs is 6 litres, but the tidal capacity (the amount we normally breathe in and out) is only half a litre.

If you want to try that, I hope your lungs are firmly secured, because even at idle, the snorkel draws in your entire normal breath in 0.03 of a second.

Human reaction time is about 0.02 seconds when you're alert. I hope you don't miss, and get your lungs sucked out. Try explaining that to the emergency doctor!

Jesus, the crap we talk about! (looks for smiley that indicates someone's lungs being ripped out ... calls Dave ...)

Back