Fraser Island...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsgooch

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a trip planned for Fraser Island in about 5 weeks and I am still new at the 4WD thing. My question is I have 2012 D40 and I have not really done anything to it. Do you think my stock D40 with go OK or should I purchase a lift prior to my trip to Fraser?

Thanks for any advice!

It will go fine, just be mindful that the radiator is EXTREMELY vulnerable and on some of the inland tracks like the one out to "Central Station" the bumps could be an issue if you hit them with a tad too much speed, even with a lift this is still an issue.
The only way to prevent it is to get some good quality bash plates like Brown Davis or ARB, i have the ARB plates and have never had an issue from Fraser to the rocks steps of Lithgow.
A few members were on here the other day that used Ironman plates but unfortunately still suffered from smashing the radiator, BUT with a few mods that weakness could be sorted.

You will go anywhere on Fraser stock the only place that may be an issue is the track to kingfisher resort as it's dry at the moment the sand is bloody soft go down to 15-16psi watch out for drunken backpackers in hired cruisers on the inland tracks make sure you pack a shovel and recovery tracks are an idea also at inskip pt the sand is like powder at the moment take care.

You'll be fine.

Invest in a shovel and good compressor, remember to drop your tyre pressures.

You'll have a ball!

Oh and if you are in HIGH range turn the VDC off,others wise it will be fighting you the whole time and robbing your power. (obviously it will turn it self off when in low range)

What does it do out of curiosity?
computer reduces power and applies brakes when it detects loosing traction or under or over steer etc but it does all that during sand. correct me if i'm wrong. This is where i got info from.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPf8hnyllg[/YT]

What does it do out of curiosity?

Its the "vehicle stability control" (VDC) so when it detects the wheels spinning at different speeds it will try and stop that by not only applying the brakes to individual wheels but also stop you from accelerating and only allow a certain amount of power to the wheels it feels need it the most in order to keep the vehicle in control.
Thats all well and good on the tar bet when on the sand it is a pain, thats why it can be turned off and on.

Not to be confused with the "Traction control" which can NOT be deactivated, but that does not effect the accelerator, in fact it needs it to work properly.

Latest posts

Back