Fridge sizes/brands

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be considering Engel or Engel. 42 litres is good for drinks, if you want food etc. as well go up the next size.

Terry, we used to do the esky thing.

One weekend we decided to go up to Poley's Place near Barrington NSW (big rocks in the ground, toilets stink so bad, we're never going back). It was really, really hot.

We had two eskys that we had bought a bag of ice for each. We had a big tent and kept the eskys in the shaded open area in the front of the tent so the esky had the best possible chance of staying as cool as possible.

It was a failure. It was so damn hot, we were using water pistols to squirt everything in sight to try and cool ourselves off, and had to make two trips to Barrington to get ice in two days.

They weren't the best quality esky - we didn't pay a huge amount for them - but I've since used them on a much milder day and they've performed adequately.

We decided that because of the extremes - which we have experienced since then - a refrigerator was needed. Our Engel has performed brilliantly in even harsher temperatures since we bought it.

The battery choice, and maintenance, and charging mechanism etc are all additional expenses that detract from the appeal of the refrigerator, but I do like being self-sufficient. Having to stay within range of a place that sells ice doesn't cut it for me.

Terry, take a good look at the Engel fridges. Some of us have had them for years (ours is 11 years old now). Still going strong. Draws 1.5A when cycling, and at the muster it kept the ice creams frozen (although that wasn't a definitive test - it wasn't hugely hot). There's something neat about the Sawafuji swing compressor, it's extraordinarily efficient. About 0.2A on "idle" - I suspect newer circuits would be even less. Oh, and it automatically switches onto 240V if it's available, unloading the battery - good for charging the battery back up.

The ARB fridges also look good, but I've not owned one and can only go by what I've read about 'em. I've put an ammeter in series with my Engel to get the figures.

I have a 80ltr waeco in my D40, it runs of just of the cranking battery (only cause haven't bought second battery for dual battery circuit). Have had it running for up too 12hrs on starter battery and car still start easy.

Have a 20 year old Engle here and no joke works as good as the day it came out of the carton. If not in the car being used while away it's used as a beer fridge.
Only thing that lets the engle down a little is the insulation is not as good as some other brands.

We had two eskys that we had bought a bag of ice for each. We had a big tent and kept the eskys in the shaded open area in the front of the tent so the esky had the best possible chance of staying as cool as possible.
That is THE reason for a refridgerator. I've even gone so far as digging a hole, making it wet and sinking the esky into along with the shade,etc. when the 40c winds are rippng through, it tests anything and the only

They weren't the best quality esky - we didn't pay a huge amount for them - but I've since used them on a much milder day and they've performed adequately.

The standard esky was two layers of sheet metal (or metal and plastic) with a 1/4" sheet of polystyrene between them. Hasn't really changed except they are all plastic now. so I do know what yo mean about living near the ice factory.

Years ago(just on 40 actually), we purchased an 80l(?) Coleman Esky. Seemed to have about 1" of insulation in it and except on the 40c days, 50% of a bag of ice would still be there after two days. about 2 decades ago, we added the 40L version to our collection, close but not as good.

Now you can purchase some very nice "ice boxes" and the old 80"L has been retired. The drain plug ripped out( handles went a decade ago) on our recent trip to Sth Qld, so it was into a local camping shop for a replacement.

We will eventually be buying a fridge/freezer, we just need stuff like snorkel, then bullbar and finally the solar panels(4x120W). Another benefit is that I will be able to pack the fridge/freezer the night before and we can get away earlier.

We are looking for one that has the lid hinged on the end as it will go into the walkway (and I don't have to move it around.)

We will eventually be buying a fridge/freezer, we just need stuff like snorkel, then bullbar and finally the solar panels(4x120W). Another benefit is that I will be able to pack the fridge/freezer the night before and we can get away earlier.

Why 4 solar panels? That's a LOT of solar energy. With two 80W panels (we currently have 1x80 and 1x64 and JUST hold up during winter) we're doing fine with a Waeco 140L upright that draws about 5.5A when cycling (call it 2.5A continuous, or 60A/day).

We intend to replace the polycrystalline 64W panel with an identical monocrystalline 80W unit at some point. We've noticed that even in low light, the mono panel produces a nice amount of power. 160W - or about 12A once it's regulated - is not a bad input. During the day, if we can count on that for 6 hours (which even in winter we ought to, even if it's raining) that's 72Ah recovered. Our fridge draws 60A/day leaving us 12A in the positive.

With our new LED lighting (<0.1A per light) and a water pump that draws 2A when used (might draw a total of 1Ah per day in total) we're well and truly in front.

We are looking for one that has the lid hinged on the end as it will go into the walkway (and I don't have to move it around.)

I think you'll find the ARB range suitable. I like their specs. If I had to replace our Engel, I'd take a serious look at their fridges.

FRIDGES FRIDGES AND FRIDGES

well the finance minister has finally come to the party and agreed we are gonna need a fridge to take with us on our cape trip this year. ive searched searched , shopped shopped, studied and im over it.

thoughts and honest answers please. my market list is simple really. im purely wanting the fridge to use as a freezer for meat and stuff when we travel and on the weekend trip it will be used as a fridge/freezer whatever it needs to be. we will also be taking an exky with ice aswell on our trips. the esky is a EvaKool branded one and i love it. it holds the ice for days and when we hit the road i will be using dry ice to lie the esky in for longer lasting stuff.

the list i have made is starting to do my head in.

Engel MT45 - Few mates own them and have never missed a beat. my uncles is even an original one from years ago from when he was a kid.So 20+years is my guess.

Waeco - havent checked sizes but it would be around the 40L mark aswell. heard they arent very reliable. but i am still studying them

EvaKool Fridge FF055 - well this one only because i have there esky and thought it may be good as a fridge freezer aswell. low power draw of 0.7amps and can get to -63degrees below ambient.

EvaKool IceMate - in a 50L again same as the FF055 above but in a thicker wall i guess. same esky design with DanFross Compressor 0.7amps again

Arb 47L - ive heard they are made by Engel? correct me please. well honestly i hate arb. everytime i go in there i feel like the talk to me asif i know nothing. i havent walked into an arb store in 12months. any ideas on quality?

any other brands people may recommend please post them up as i wouldnt mind sussing out few more to make it harder for me to decide

Rusty

If the EvaKool FF055 only draws 0.7A (which is about 8 to 9 watts) then it's a bloody winner on that alone. If it can use only that small amount of power to get to 63 degrees below ambient then it's a clear winner by a country mile.

My Engel 60L draws 1.5A when cycling and can cool to something like 50C below ambient. It might cool more - I've never had to run it flat out to find out, and we've had it in the middle of Australia in the middle of summer and it's kept things cold. The EvaKool - on those figures - beats the Engel hands down.

Engel MT45 - Few mates own them and have never missed a beat. my uncles is even an original one from years ago from when he was a kid.So 20+years is my guess. Rusty

I have the Engel MT45, 4 years old now. Sits in the hot canopy all year round and i have never had a problem with it yet. Cant fault it.

thanks tony. ive had a bit more study into the evakool icemate and other style fridge and i have got them the wrong way around.

the FF055 was meant to be FM55 and is the icemate style so its a green/yellow esky style. where as the evakool RFE60 and RFE47 are the same style as my esky. BOTH contain the same motor and same insulation style etc but the one i have is a more sturdy build.

RFE60 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EvaKool-...89?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a5cf6e47d

RFE47 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EvaKool-...44?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item41513b9910

it shows a amp/hr reading down the bottom of the description. i cant make sence of it.

this one os teh FM55 with digital display
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55L-EvaK...45?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4cfb4359ed

Rusty

A bit off a wrap for engle. On our rural fire vehicles, well not our brigades (yet!) but almost all others in our area fridges have been getting fitted as on a fireground the last thing we want to do is drink hot water all day. A few have tried other brands, but the only common brand everyone has been happy and not had worries with is engle, and trust me when i say the vehicles are not treated nicely in nice conditions, rough hard offroad shit and they just keep going.

We are currently in the process of purchasing two of these engels for our two vehicles.

Mitch

thanks tony. ive had a bit more study into the evakool icemate and other style fridge and i have got them the wrong way around.

the FF055 was meant to be FM55 and is the icemate style so its a green/yellow esky style. where as the evakool RFE60 and RFE47 are the same style as my esky. BOTH contain the same motor and same insulation style etc but the one i have is a more sturdy build.

RFE60 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EvaKool-...89?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a5cf6e47d

RFE47 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EvaKool-...44?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item41513b9910

it shows a amp/hr reading down the bottom of the description. i cant make sence of it.

this one os teh FM55 with digital display
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55L-EvaK...45?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4cfb4359ed

Rusty

The Danfoss BD35 compressor isn't a bad one. The jury is still out on whether it's the best, because my Sawafuji "Swing" compressor-powered Engel draws 1.5A to do similar work.

However, 2.5A per hour is nothing to sneeze at. Waeco use those compressors in their smaller fridges and they get the job done. With the insulation of the evakool box, these ought to be a fair bit better.

The Engel has a better compressor, less current draw, but the lid hinges and locks are $hit. I prefered the 60l Evakool, I bought mine as a display unit at the 4WD show for $800, still going strong 3 years latter(non stop operation)after crossing all the Beadell tracks.

I've heard you can't strap the Engle's down with the handles supplied, you have to buy some other "fixing handle" (not sure what they are called) to strap into the fridge slide. Is that true??

I strap mine in through the handles supplied. That might not be the right thing, but I don't do a lot of rough stuff and certainly don't intend to empty the ashtray.

the engel can be strapped through the handles to secure. as for the tiedown points you are talking about they are just added to where the handles bolt into. so they would be doing the same thig as tying them down by the handle.

i am off to the local camp store/s tomorrow to compare fridges again as i would like one to test out before the big trip rather then get it and not have used it. i will be comparing all the fridges i have mentioned all in the one store. well minus the arb fridge cause they are off my list of wants.

let you know how i go. also checked a bunch more reviews on the evakool rfe60 and have had more success leading to this. good reviews about the esky sealing itself without having to be clipped down and only using 1.4amps at 32deg ambient on economy mode. thats using both fridge and freezer compartment. just fridge at same ambient was only drawing 0.8-1.0amps

Rusty

Rusty

i just purchased a 50 ltr evacool (same as ironman)
5 yr wty on everything and its a danfoss compressor
$729 delivered
bought from aust 4x4 direct

That's an interesting find Dan. Never saw them when I was looking at the ice packs. They look identical to waeco I wonder the real comparison. The power draw doesn't look that bad either at 1.5amps to get -3degrees or whatever it says. Anyone got an idea on them. Could get 2 for that price have 1as fridge other as freezer but would sap a lot of power.

RustyNav

I cant tell you about the quality of them sorry, They look just like the Waeco, would be interesting what the internals would be like.

Latest posts

Back