Fridge sizes/brands

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, like I said, don't cater for the best of times. In summer in Tasmania, it's getting light at 5am and the sun sets around 9pm. Usable sunlight would be from about 8am to 6pm - 10 hours at 8 amps is a lot.

During the lower-light times the panels all still produce power, but obviously not as much. Where you have 5 hours in winter time of decent full sunlight (which is what they rate the panels for) you might also have another 4-5 hours of light varying from "Christ, I didn't see that log in the shadows and I tripped over it" to "well I can see, but I won't get sunburnt in this!".

During those lower-light levels, don't count on full production. I'd quarter it and rely on that figure - so for a winter day, with (say) 5 hours of lower light levels, you end up with 5*(8/4) = 10A produced during that entire time.

And yes your fridge probably won't draw 4A at all. I know my Engel is rated to draw 4A but only pulls 1.5A. I sized my battery as if it WAS drawing 4A - spare capacity is good.

A cloudy day will change the figures. So will parking in shade. One of the drawbacks of solar panels is that to get the optimum amount of power, you need them out in the brightest light - and that's generally turns whatever you're sitting inside into a mobile bakehouse.

I do NOT think you're making a mistake. You may not run much more than the fridge without losing a little power each day - which is why I mentioned the lighting, but that panel is not bad, especially for the price.

Yeh kool. Thanks tony and all other who have made an input. I'm settling with the rfe60 for now and solar panel. Will have to wait till end of march to see what deal I can get.

Rusty

thanks guys all this info really helps. guess im just gonn ahve to get used to it taking up a bit of room in the tray alongside the 60L evakool esky i have. another reason i like this fridge is the Danfross Compressor is able to be repaired by any refrigeration mechanic and that would make it easy if it was to loose its cool on a trip.

lep you mentioned dont buy there slide, any reason why?

i had a phonecall from Australian Market Direct or someone liek that that i asked about quotes with. so the white premium 60L RFE60 Fridge/Freezer came to the $1250 mark with free postage and the adapters etc. i asked about solar panels and got quoted on 2 100 panels, details below:

1. 2x50Watt panels hinged together with carry case and solar regulator +5year warranty came to $498(the lady was very honest with me and tol dme it was a direct import from china and they just brand it and use there warranty)
In other words they are going to duck shove if you need to claim on it.
In any case, have a look here for comparative prices on chinese sourced stuff.
http://jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?keywords=monocrystal&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

2. 2x50Watt panels again hinged like they are and in canvas carry bag+25year warranty on solar silicone panels and 10year warranty on everything else. had 2 solar regulators 1 for each panel and was able to still create good power at only 5% light. this came to $720 and would be my option if i went with one. also was told it would make 60amps a day
If they said 60 AMPS, then they don't know what they are talking about as it isn't an amount, but a flow of current. The theorectical maximum current you'll get out of them is 8.3333Amps (100W/12V)

If they said Amphours, that can be checked simply.

100W at optimal sunlight gives you a theorectical maximum of 8.333Amp which means you would need FULL sunlight for 7.2hours. So strong sun, perpendicular to suns rays the whole time and not over heated(very common). IMO dodgy, even in summer, but your location may vary.

to back this assessment up, I've been trying to find one of those daily solar insolation charts ,,,bzzzt, that phrase worked.

Play here(needs java?) On the top doodle, set latitude and move the month and notice how the curve shrinks into winter, etc.
http://pvcdrom.pveducation.org/SUNLIGHT/SHCALC.HTM

Note the bit where it say optimum and affected by local weather.

There are some Australian latitudes on the top of this chart.
http://www.apricus.com/html/insolation_levels_asiap.htm
Basically 35 deg South to ???

.........goodlight, so i could solidly run the fridge off it all day and the battery woud power it only over night.

any got any ideas on solar panels? i will have a 80-100amp deep cycle battery in the tray to run fridge aswell.

Go the 100AmpHr. Marginal weight difference. From what I've been told about fridges, the real factor is how you use them. So if the only person accessing it is the chief cook, then low requirements. If it is drinks cooler and the lids flaps like it is windy, then high power requirements.

My approach/plan, since I have a unused boat rack, is to buy four 120W(max 12V size) and load up the boat rack. We will just have to park the CT with the panels facing north and erect an silver tarp over the top of the CT in warmer weather (it makes a big difference to how much it warms up).

I was over at Ironman today Russ and checked out their fridge/freezers in detail. They looked great, with the 50ltr priced at $850.00. One of the guys their said he sold his older Waeco to get the new Ironman model, he loves it. IO'll be looking at those again when the time comes, :cheers!:

the 50 ltr evacool i just purchased is EXACTLY the same as ironman,without the ironman sticker
$729 delivered aus wide (australian 4x4direct.com.au)

10012012406.jpg

10012012407.jpg

Last edited:
easy 60 cans
7cans per layer
4 layers per 1/2 basket
28 x2 = 56 cans plus dairy section
brrrrrp

Last edited:
Thaw fridges look good but they run the Domus compressor not the danfross. Be carefully with them I've heard they don't last long

Sorry wrong fridge from evakool. The 50l you have has the danfross bd35 in it. Did it come with insulated bag etc? I'd be interested to see its overall power consumption compared to the evakool white 60l fridge/freezer.

Ok well I found the good old trusty 4wd Action Magazine issue no.163 with the mega fridge comparo in it. Evakool came 3rd and we all know what came first the arb fridges. The evakool had a more steady and less current draw then the arb in the temperature chamber test.

But I am confused. What's is the difference between the Danfross BD35 and the BD35F? Anyone wanna fill me in.

Pretty sure its the same compressor, just that they left the F off the end, the BD35F has been around since '98 and all one used since are the same unit.

Current brochure from Danfoss suggests the BD35 is no longer produced, only the BD35F and BD35K. BD35F is intended for mobile applications, BD35K for stationary.

The list of documents is here. The specific PDF file I was reading is this one. (1.2Mb)

Ok thanks for replies. I had a quick look on Google before I posted it up and I found out it means FIXED, meaning its a fixed speed compressor motor where as the bd35 is a variable speed motor. So to my understanding a variable speed motor will draw less power to work.

Rusty

95L evakool fridge-freezer, awsome on battery power up to a week on 300ah agm with 5w solar charger, run it on 240v before we take off helps but once in place runs fine off the one battery, strong construction, one of the best compressors manufactured, (im a fridgie) and cheap with good warranty. wouldnt change to another brand personally

95L evakool fridge-freezer, awsome on battery power up to a week on 300ah agm with 5w solar charger, run it on 240v before we take off helps but once in place runs fine off the one battery, strong construction, one of the best compressors manufactured, (im a fridgie) and cheap with good warranty. wouldnt change to another brand personally

Wow a 300ah battery that would be massive let alone dam heavy. I am installing a 100ah battery and will also have a 100-120 watt solar panel. How ling you reckon the battery is gonna last running a 60l evakool?

Also I have noticed they have brought out the yellow fridge in a 60L model and it looks neat. but it is another 100mm longer then standard

I have a 50ltr Waeco but would love an Engel but the Waeco is o.k. Have needed to keep beer & food cold for a trip of up to 6 weeks and find the size ideal.

Latest posts

Back