From 0 to Hero...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its hollow.

Unfiltered air is from outside the filter. Filtered air from inside the filter.

I get the general idea of a cylindrical filter, I was curious to see the internal face of the filter's design. Without a dyed smoke test it's hard to know but the outcome seems conclusive.

It looks much the same as the outside. A cigarette should work fine re the smoke test.

All we need is one person smoking and another reving.

dilema, sigh

as you all know i got paint from my jerry can get into my tank and that really sucked.

yesterday i took out my fuel tank and removed around half a hand full of paint after cleaning it out.

today i replaced the fuel filter and had a hole other lot come out, and now its all clean.

i also bought a whole fuel tank worth of new fuel from shell.

though it started half way through my last tank, i noticed i seemed to have lost low down power and acceleration. its still fine and drive-able, but its not as crazy good as it used to be, even with a lead foot.

any ideas what could be causing this? i've even reset the ecu a few times and no success, stays the same.

i'm going to clean the wire MAF sensor tomorrow and see if that does anything.

My guess would be that little pieces of paint are going to block your injectors or worse, punch holes in the nozzles. Or jeff up the injection pump. Since they went to common rail the possibility for rooting your engine with dirty fuel or water-in-fuel has grown wings.

Ideally you'd have drained and purged the tank before driving it anywhere when the paint went in, but what's done is done and I'd probably have driven on it too hoping I was seeing things.

My suggestion is go see a favourite diesel mechanic for a fuelling investigation. If you're lucky, you've blocked up the pump in the tank, or blocked the nozzles, and an ultrasonic clean or a new pump would cure your blues. Sorry I don't have a free DIY solution.

so you really think that little paint particles got through the filter?

pretty much the car runs how it used to do with the pod filter, or maybe just a lil less than that.

still goes pretty ok otherwise, i just miss the way it used to be, hmm.

it hasnt had its first 10,000km service yet, and its currently over 8000km so maybe it just needs a good service.

who knows...

so you really think that little paint particles got through the filter?

pretty much the car runs how it used to do with the pod filter, or maybe just a lil less than that.

still goes pretty ok otherwise, i just miss the way it used to be, hmm.

it hasnt had its first 10,000km service yet, and its currently over 8000km so maybe it just needs a good service.

who knows...

No reason why they couldn't, if it was fine enough to filter everything you wouldn't get any fuel through it.

I'm not saying that's what's happened, but it's entirely possible. See how it is when it comes back from the service, maybe the problem will have gone.

well back from my 786km trip down south and the car went fine.

engine had plenty of power and still pretty economic, but it didnt get the big boost of power it had before after the changing the filters over.

i checked the fuel filter and its empty, no trace of any crap.

though when i got home and parked it, i put it in neutral and revved it. when it hit over 3000 revs a loud what seems to be vibration/buzzing noise occurs? though when i was overtaking people hitting 4000 revs it didnt make any noise, or i didnt hear it perhaps?

also the engine sound seems a bit different when you accelerate slowly after changing gears. not sure if its a good or bad sound, but its something small and different.

oh well, service in a few hundred km and i'll see how it is.

car isnt making the noise anymore and i did a few resets. feels a bit better but not powerful as it was.

taking it to a nissan dealer tomorrow to ask for a quick diag and reset. see if that does anything.

Latest posts

Back