Front mount intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew_man

Reaction score
I went to port maqurie arb to day just to get a price on an intercooler and he said best to get a water to air intercooler for 2400 bescause an air to air will only really work when i am going faster like 80kmp and a water to air always is working he then proceeded to tell me that if he was to do it he would put and boost tee peiece on so that I still get around 14 pound boost at the other side and he also said That I will have to put a snorkel on it or he wouldn't do it. Was just wondering is all this true or is he just trying to get some more money out of me the 2400 was just for the water to air not including the boost tee pieces and the like 620 for tha snorkel

Regards
Drew

$620 for the snorkel is highway robbery.

Why won't he do it without a snorkel?

Is he trying to say to hook the boost sensor in post intercooler so that the pressure drop through the intercooler is compensated for?

A water-to-air with a fan for the heat exchanger doesn't necessarily work any better than a FMIC with a fan... you do have a shorter intake path though.

The biggest performance pro for W2A is that they can absorb a lot of heat out of the intake quickly, then disperse that heat to the atmosphere slowly. IE W.O.T drag race...

Last edited:
He said he won't do it with out the snorkel because the engine is not getting enough air or something .
He said the tee piece is to compensate for to the loss of boost due to the intercooler and don't really want a snorkel I was going to put an ase air to air do it myself but don't know if it is worth it now ??? I also already have 3" exhaust from turbo and a steinboweau

hes full of BS :(

no need for a snorkel, unless you are going to do river crossings. you won't be changing the airflow so theres no real need to increase airflow to the filter.

air-air are better than water-air when you are driving fast enough. that speed may vary a bit but if its any good anything above 50km/h should be ok. a poor one you may have to get to 80km/h before its really effective.
water-air is really great at crawling speed. however just be careful at what they fit. i don't like the barrel coolers, they are generally way to small. you can get away with it on a petrol but diesels require extremely good intercooler.

i wouldn't fit a T to keep the boost up. if the intercooler leaks, blows a hose, the turbo will overspeed. you shouldn't loose much boost anyway so theres no real problem to fix.

was it easy to install eg and moddification needed and worth while ?? and did it come with all u need

I payed a guy to install mine.

Didn't have the time to do, Pm SimonK as he had his intercooler moded so the bullbar mount didn't have to be moded.

Dave.

Yep, on a hot day you dont lose power like you use to with no intercooler so well worth it.

Dave.

i was thinking of getting a front mount but these things are a bit laggy so adding a front mout would only make it werse

i was thinking of getting a front mount but these things are a bit laggy so adding a front mout would only make it werse

the zd30 (3 litre turbo) is not all that laggy. what your mistaking as lag is simply under fueling in the low rpm range which results in low boost in the low revs. chipping fixes it.
i havn't seen anyone report that there navara has gone laggy after fitting a front mount intercooler.

Latest posts

Back