Fuel consumption.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forums Sharpie.

That's not overly good fuel figures although you don't say whether it's a diesel or petrol.

Have you got any mods, added extra weight etc. Many fuel problems start and end with the right foot, these utes are not racing cars and too much right foot will always have a negative effect on fuel consumption.

Someone is bound to suggest the ECU reset, so it may as well be me, (search ECU reset in the D40 section), I assume the procedure for the 2010 is the same procedure as previous models and it's easy enough done. I've done it several times and noticed absolutely no difference however others swear by it and think it works. Due to the way I'm led to believe the ECU works I doubt in the majority of cases it can ever do anything remarkable, but that's just my idea, however it's not going to hurt anything so you can do it and be your own judge.

Thanks for the ideas guys, it is a diesel and getting around 150 ks per tank less than a 2007 auto diesel we have on the company, it gets its 40,000 service next week and Nissan are replacing a faulty fuel sender unit at the same time so will see if anything changes. Is there any point in putting some diesel additive in there, clean things out a bit.

Sharpie.

Diesel additive is just the same as petrol additive, you're bound to find as many people who agree with it's use as disagree and at the end of the day it's going to depend on personal preference. There is a thread on here somewhere about additives I'm sure, I don't think there has been anything conclusive for any one brand but it will give you something to read if nothing else. Try searching for "Fuel additive"

I was waiting for that, but typical of you with only half the information Krankin you don't say which 2 stoke is best :eviltongue:

Yeah I know what you mean but there is no way I'm risking Ricky Ponting showing up in my garage so I'm going back to using outboard oil, recycled of course.

Yeah I know what you mean but there is no way I'm risking Ricky Ponting showing up in my garage so I'm going back to using outboard oil, recycled of course.

and of course there's always 11k old sump oil if your a bit tight.

After that sort of mileage it would be well and truly tested and run in so the benefits would be astronomical.

Are we still on topic?

Yes...
the man asked about additives and we are talking about additives...

and he'll have an engine thats as quiet as a petrol one.

Ahh ok well I heard on the news last night that the experts want the additive colour 129 banned from things because it can cause hyperactivity. I wonder if those experts have done extensive studies because if we could harness that hyperactivity we might get large power increases from our diesel engines from a few drops of additive.

probly should direct him to the "2 stroke" thread,
to keep this thread separate
or do you reckon that might do his head in a bit.

After 24 pages it's enough to do anyone's head in, all that technical information and scientific proof is not however good bed time reading.

Well thats clear then

Thanks...........I think,
I'll be the first to stick my hand up :rock: when you ask whos the mechanical retard, so went to bed last night around 2am after reading another similar thread on here with a nose bleed, 15 pages of what seemed to be mind melting chatter from highly knowledgable diesel mechanics all about ECU's, PDF's, heat sensors and other three letter things that are completely over my head:hmmmm:
So is there any one out there I can go to (in QLD) that can fix this or give me a bit of paper that says this is whats wrong so I can go back to the smug...... or dumb pr..k at nissan's service pept. and insert it with the aid of a size 12 boot where he will pay attention to it and get things running the way the screen lable says they should. Oh and sorry for going a bit off topic, may need directing to an area there this can be continude, or feel free to send me a PM.

Sharpie.

Have you got any mods, added extra weight etc. Many fuel problems start and end with the right foot, these utes are not racing cars and too much right foot will always have a negative effect on fuel consumption.

Give us some more info mate.....
like the above, do you tow?...have you tried to modify you driving style?,
give us some Speed v RPM's details at your typical driving speeds,
mybe your auto is slipping?, does the ex smoke?, what coluor is it?...have you done the ECU reset??? etc, etc.

Very hard to diagnose over the internet, especially with such little info.

:cheers!:

So is there any one out there I can go to (in QLD) that can fix this or give me a bit of paper that says this is whats wrong so I can go back to the smug...... or dumb pr..k at nissan's service pept. and insert it with the aid of a size 12 boot where he will pay attention to it and get things running the way the screen lable says they should. Oh and sorry for going a bit off topic, may need directing to an area there this can be continude, or feel free to send me a PM.

Not sure if there is many posts in it but there is a thread somewhere about trusted mechanics and I'm sure it's broken down into state by state information, you could start there I guess.

Whether you are a mechanical retard or not one thing worth remembering is to make sure you don't automatically believe everything on the net, sure there is some good advice but there is also a lot of garbage and not all of the garbage is highlighted by "hey moron you speak crap", however some of the truthful stuff is.

I'm not going to pin point any one topic but always remember it pays to do research and research isn't one web site only, it's as many sources as you can get your hands on, especially if it's a topic you aren't sure about. Most of us know how to change a tyre we don't need 35 websites of how to's for something like that but relying on information from just one site when it comes to ECU's, batteries, etc etc can cause more problems than it's worth.

Wise words I am sure

Thanks for those words of wisdom Krafty, this is my first attempt at looking into the ecomomy of this thing as my employer who pays my fuel bill is getting the sh.ts as its the most uneconomical ute on the company.
A few details are as follows,
Met. black 2010 St diesel auto dual cab, reps car and drives from Grafton to Bundy and in as far as Toowoomba and Warwick so lots of open road work and plenty of freeway. A normal tank gets me on or around 550 ks plus or minus 30 which is about 14.5 lph, regardless of freeway or around town. Apart from an alloy nudge bar, my fat ass and 40 to 60 kgs of samples and brochures the thing is empty and still totaly as delivered. On the freeway it gets to 110kph and the cruise goes on and when the conditions allow then 120, didn't think I was giving it a hard time. It was delivered new in May 2010 and has been serviced by Nissan every time, but the quote for the 40,000 last week was $900.00 so am looking else where right now, don't want to screw with the warranty but. When I talked to the Nissan service dept. the first time got told it was because it was new, second time must be the way I drive it, third time its within specs and forth time its 4000ks over due for its 40,000 sevice so its likley the fuel filter needs changeing. Think thats about all but if I missed anything please let me know. Do appreciate your help and advice.
Many thanks,

Sharpie.

Well my 09 constantly gets low 10's with a few tanks dropping into the mid to high 9's, my ute's pretty much stock, nudge bar and lights, canopy, and depending on the day and trip I could have a few hundred kgs in the tub.

The main difference though is the speeds, I know it doesn't suit everyone to travel at slower speeds and that's their choice but on the highway mine sits between 95 and 98ks (true speed not speedo speed). Alot of my driving is highway or country roads where I get a chance to travel at constant speeds for longer and I've done plenty of playing around with the scangauge and mine is the most economical at 95-97ks so that's what I drive it at where possible.

The ECU reset is a possible fix but given the way the ECU actually works my guess is that any improvements you gain (perceived or actual improvements) will be shot lived and Nissan have possible already done this during services so maybe you're boss might need to ask you to slow down to save his fuel.

It's nothing to do with Nav but several trucking company's around Aust have been doing studies for a while now and while there is many distinguishing factors in their economy their many findings have been that dropping a long haul truck down to 95ks or thereabouts is saving them thousands of dollars in fuel over the year but costing them almost nothing in extra time.

I would at this stage concur with the 110 & 120 hwy speeds being the culprit.

What are the RPM's at those speeds?

Back