fuel issues...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,

i'll make this as specific as i can, as to better get the message across of what my problem is. for those that dont know its a 1hz NA 75 cruiser ute with extractors, thats all. 250K on the clock.

today i spent a good 50km driving around town with my mate (oh, i'm 270km into this tank of fuel, no issues beforehand) and drove mainly during the hotter part of the day. did a fair bit of stop/go driving and parked the car up a few times for 30min or more directly in the sun, never had an issue starting/driving off.

later today i parked the car at 1pm in the driveway, pretty hot, did stuff in the house, rah rah, talked to my mate over the uhf in gosnells from attadale for about 20min. went inside and went to leave, keys in, car starts but sounds a bit 'rough' to start, thought i might of drained a good bit of juice with the icom cough cough high power.

drove out and it was fine for about 2km. got to the lights and waited for a min til the lights went green, gunned it in first to 3K and noticed a slight miss/lack of power at one point, kept driving up the gears and seemed fine, then it started to be a bit iffy/rough with just say 3rd gear crusing at 60km/h, decided to pull up and check the car. air filter fine, no leaks, no busted hoses, oil at F still, all seems well? started the car and was really rough, low idle, revved it and it seemed fine.

got to another set of lights, stationary for a minute or so, went to go off at a good pace, no speeding, and about 30m from the lights the car just lost power slowly and the engine quit. wouldnt restart, just cranked heaps. apply a bit of gas and it'd eventually turn over and try to rev but just lugged and chugged and eventually stalled. called my mate over and we changed the prefilter, started it up and still the same, let it rev a bit more and then it went to what seemed normal.

drove it to my mates, checked it around, no issues, started up fine too. about 30min later started it, but it wasnt the best of starts. revved fine, did a bit of an toyota LSD test (lil clutch drop) and it revved fine and happily, driving it home i had to wait about a minute for a person who took there sweet time turning off, and about 40m from standing in that spot the car dropped the revvs and nearly stalled, but i kept the revs up and got it home, luckily!

i hit the switch to my other tank, took it for a drive around the block as i wanted to put fuel in it, about 300m it cut out again, BLEHHHHH. managed to get it home, stuff the fuel! got it home, changed the main filter/water sedimenter, and still no go, cant get it to rev high properly without being all rough and poppy and crap.

tomorrow i plan on disconnecting the main fuel hose and blow it back from the prefilter as i reckon its an inline blockage.

if that doesnt work, what to do????

cheers for the long read, but i wanted to be thorough to make it more easy to figure out.

If it was the fuel pump you'd think it'd idle ok but be rather poor up at higher revs.

What if it's injector timing? Crank angle sensor perhaps?

It just doesn't seem like it could be the pump unless it's got an erratic connection and THAT could be anywhere - it could be a bad earth on the ECU.

dont have a clue, but seems odd to go hay wire then perfect, then hay wire and today now perfect, for injection timing.

got bubbles in my pump to tank return line... vacuum leakkkkkk

Do Landcruisers run a banjo style filter like the TD series and QD32 ?

I remember reading a while back that the fuel cut solinoids in the 1HZ's get lazy.

The fuel cut solinoid and the primer would be the first places Id be looking at.

Oh and no need to test the Yota LSD, there buggered as soon as you drive out of the dealer. Lol.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Good luck George.

Dave.

banjo filter?

it runs a open paper type prefilter to catch most of the stuff and then a water sedimenter/fine filter.

swapped a whole bunch of fuel hoses today after work, which i drove to.

this morning it ran fine, and ran fine all day, and gave it a good thrashing, no issues???

was fun testing the toyota lsd though, was a hell of a smoke show for a 3K dump lol

Soulds like an air leak.

Is the fuel tank breathering properly. As stupid as it may sound, pump may not be able to suck againsit the vacuum in the tank.

Diesel is used to cool the IP, if the fuel and air in the tank is hot and slowly returns to ambient temp, might create a slight vacuum in the tank(s) if it not venting properly.

If you haven't already replace the fuel filter(s) and check the primer is priming as it should.

it seemed to have been an air leak

dont know how sitting around for 1 hour after using it all day causes an air leak, one of the hoses must of finally split or something.

replaced majority of my fuel line, and stuck clear line for the pumps return/feed hose to keep an eye on the bubbles, so far none.

cars running fine so farrrrrrr, i just hate problems that cant be confirmed

also i grabbed a battery tray off ebay, 50 buck local bargain, redarc for 90, will get a good batt for 150ish (mates rates), then probs 30 bucks in wiring and plugs...

as well as the 4 burner bbq i got this month, the inflatable camping fishing boat, an exhaust jack of won off ebay for a stupid price as a joke bid and my radiator that blew about a month back.

expensive month haha, but i needed a bbq for camping, hate borrowing friends stuff.

why a new turbo? current one bit the dust or for a project?

The turbo on it now has done 193,000km's, its days are numbered.

Dont know if I trust a turbo that has around 200,000km's.

Dave.

$2500 for the kit, you can get them cheaper but I wont it to just bolt on and no stuffing around with custom this and custom that.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back