fuel micron rating

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baitfish

Reaction score
hey guys,

as the title states i'm just trying to find out the micron size filtering capabilities of the standard d22 zd30 fuel filter. looking at changing to a CAV style filter as my hand primer has shat itself but need to know what size to go for. Not sure if i should go as low as 1 micron or will 10 micron filter be fine?

cheers

From memory the stock filter is 4micron, from what ive been told you do have to be a little careful not to go to fine as it can put extra strain on the pump.

yeah i didn't want to over filter for no reason and restrict flow. thinking about putting a lift pump in and doing the spill line mod like a few blokes on here have done. On the patrol forum it looks like everyone does it for the patrol ZD30.

Yeah I had a look at the spill line mod, what does it do? Just redirect the spill line back to the tank to keep your fuel cooler or something. If you do it, do a write up for us muppets who dont want to be the first guinea pig

the spill line mod is really only needed if you run a lift pump, without the lift pump there is no real chance of having circulating fuel heating up or filling the sump with diesel. if i do it i'll put some photos up. the patrol forum is full of photos and details. some of the blokes on there have gone into a lot of details, lots of reasons, lots of trial and error and lots of data from per and post lift pump install. if your seriously thinking about it i would spend a few hours looking at that info as well!

so is everyone thinking 4micron is the standard filtering size from nissan?

hey guys,

as the title states i'm just trying to find out the micron size filtering capabilities of the standard d22 zd30 fuel filter. looking at changing to a CAV style filter as my hand primer has shat itself but need to know what size to go for. Not sure if i should go as low as 1 micron or will 10 micron filter be fine?

cheers

should be around 30-40 micron. easy enough to find out cause its the same filter the patrol use.

the big problem with 10 micron and even cav style filter is flow rate. most put to much restriction on the fuel line. flow rate varies with filter. the 40 mic usually has higher flow rate than a 10 micron. but you can also get short/tall filters to.

hey tweak'e

seen a few of your post on the patrol forum on this topic. you have also put a lift pump in? how is you set up going? what pump are you running and do you have a bypass set up around the electric pump? have you retained the stock fuel filter set up?

i've been searching high and low for the specs of the standard fuel filter, i.e flow rate, micron rating and volume. that way i can best match an aftermarket set up. havent tried using the patrol filter as a search option. cheers tweak'e

do you think a CAV style filter at around 20 micron with a lift pump would be a good set up?

i have a lift pump on another 4x4. a lot lower flowing than what the zd30 needs tho the pump i used might just work ok.
i used a carter carotor i think its called. 35gph and 4 psi max i think. it has 8mm fuel connections compared to navara 10mm fuel lines. gives you some idea of fuel flow. i used a 7" long 100 micron mesh pre filter before the lift pump and used stock main filter. used a oneway valve as a bypass.
my only concern with the setup is water sitting in the lift pump. would be better to have a proper diesel filter/water trap before the lift pump.

i would check the flow rates before buying filters. when i was doing it i found flow rates for some filters. the flow rates for the low mic filters where a big difference to the higher mic filters.

i did not think it would be so hard to find a reasonably price replacement filter and primer set up!

get flow rates and micron ratings of fuel filters is very difficult as well, it seems no manufacture wants to put details on the packets or on line!

Rang nissan for shits and giggles and got a quote for $301 for just the primer head with no filters or sensors!

Latest posts

Back