gauges aren't gauges

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies. I was initially thinking a voltmeter (for aux battery) and boost guage. I know this could open a can of worms, but how essential is a EGT on a new vehicle? Mine's a 2011 D22 ST-R that is mainly a tourer and tows my boat. I do the occasional 4wding, but by now means is it set up like some of you blokes

Thanks for the replies. I was initially thinking a voltmeter (for aux battery) and boost guage. I know this could open a can of worms, but how essential is a EGT on a new vehicle? Mine's a 2011 D22 ST-R that is mainly a tourer and tows my boat. I do the occasional 4wding, but by now means is it set up like some of you blokes

for towing they are fairly important. it's good to be able to keep an eye on how hot the egt's are getting, especially when loaded up and going up hills

egt gauge is important even for general driving.

i was coming up one of the hills, foot buried through the firewall, and noticed egt's going above normal. quickly backed the throttle off and heard a "baaarrrppp" noise from the turbo.
found i had a clogged up air filter, must have had a huge amount of vacuum between filter and turbo causing intake air temps to increase and cause turbo bark when i lifted off the throttle.

I have VDO egt and boost gauges - a little expensive for the egt but top quality. I would say the egt is more important and more useful than the boost gauge - especially if you are towing. Your vehicle, either new or old, is capable of holding speed up hills if thats what you want it to do but without an egt gauge you don't actually know or realise how hard you are pushing her. Increased temps can have a cumulative detrimental effect on your engine. While it seems all fine at the time, the damage you are doing without even knowing can be long-term.

egt gauge is important even for general driving.

I reckon so too,

but then i personally reckon you cant have too many gauges....prolly why I love airplane cockpits so much and the one thing the Nav hasnt got is enough guages

^ What he said.

But its gotta be the old piston engine world war 2 planes.

Love the sound of them.

from the spank bank....

Attachments

• generaldynamics-F111-aardvark.jpg
    generaldynamics-F111-aardvark.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 96

Latest posts

Back