Gidday from Brisvagas.....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hi Fellas....

1st time post here as I'm looking / researching in trading in our Car for a Dual Cab 4X4.... My 1st choice is the Navara, but this will depend on what I find out about them.....currently I have a little Zook Vitara that I use as my Toy for Bushbashing and some exploring in SEQ..... We also have a Prado that the missus drives and I'm looking for a Dual Cab 4x4 that will be able to tow our van while being able to carry kids bikes, etc....

I'm looking at the D22/D40 shape Navara's as these are the ones the I reckon look the best and preferably a TD but not quite sure as I've heard/read some concerns in relation to the engines.... V6 may be a option if they are intially cheaper to buy but unsure of the economy of these V6 models.....

The D22 is physically smaller in size than the D40.... is that correct?

Things that I have found out to Date about the D22/D40 DualCabs
(Please correct me if I'm wrong or missed something):

• 1998 - D22 Navara 1st came out in a NonTurbo 3.2D or a 2.4ltr 4cyl Petrol (none of which I really want) - ALL Manuals at this point
  • 2000 - D22 3ltr EFI V6 Navara 1st came out, this replaced the 4cyl Petrol version - ALL Manuals at this point
  • 2002 - D22 saw the 1st D22 with a 3ltr TD (Mechanical Injection) - ALL Manuals at this point
  • 2005 - D40 replaced the D22 with a 4ltr EFI V6 & a 2.5ltr TD (Electronic Injection) with AUTOS now in either Petrol or Diesel versions - ALL D40's are physically BIGGER than the older D22's (ie more 2nd row leg room, etc) -- Is this Bigger SIZE comment correct ??
    (D22 cont'd to be made up to 2006 for the 3ltr TD (Mechanical Injection) & up to 2005 for the 3ltr EFI V6 Navara - ALL still Manuals)
  • 2007 - D22 (Smaller in size) came out with a 2.5ltr TD (Electronic Injection) - Diesel version only and ALL Manuals only as well
  • 2011 - D40 (550) V6 3ltr Turbo Diesel (7spd AUTO ONLY) was introduced // D40 & D22 (Smaller in size) cont'd as in previous years

I've looked a bit through the forum but can't find a post/topic that lists the things to look out for when buying 2nd and what problems certain models may have.... Is there such a list or do I just have to go through the sections individually looking for posts that may point to a potentail problem ?

Any information that owners can give me or point me in the right direction would be much appreciated :thank_you2:

:cheers!:.....

RobM

hey mate i myself have just purchased a 2011 d22 navara am very happy with it and for 32k brand new pretty good they are pretty basic though not many high tech features but you get dual batteries standard the tray is longer then past models i also got electronic rust protection 13yrs guarantee and tinted windows and remote keyless entry for this price, the economy from the 2.5 td is good im averaging 800km out of a tank id say go with the td, the d40 did have a few problems with clutches and breaking the chassis when towing am unsure if these problems have been rectified or not, the stock suspension is pretty poor on the d22 but most people upgrade with a 2" suspension lift anyway which towing a camper would be a good idea hope a few of these things help

Cont'd....

I forgot to mention as well that I work shiftwork, so I get a few days off during the week where I can get out exploring through some of the SEQ NPs and SFs. I currently do this in my little Vitara, but as the kids grow, etc the Vitara won't be big enough when we go away together, so that's another reason I'm starting the look around for a replacement vehicle for touring/exploring in SEQ and further a field....

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find the zook will handle certain parts of off-roading a LOT better than the Navara because both D22 and D40 have a much, much longer wheelbase and so the ramp-over is a lot worse.

The D40 is longer than a D22 and most of that length is in the cabin behind the front seats - with the D22, it's quite squeezy in the back for teens and above. The D22 doesn't come in an auto - and for lots of towing, an auto is highly recommended.

The D40 manual's clutch left a lot to be desired. In an attempt to make the vehicle more car-like smooth, they introduced a dual mass flywheel that absorbs the little harmonic rotational variances in an internal combustion engine. Unfortunately the driving face of the flywheel is really quite thin and doesn't dissipate the heat very well and ends up cooking the clutch. If you're dead set on a manual, bear in mind that you may need to replace the clutch.

The standard D40 is quite a bit more powerful than the standard D22 but with a decent chip (see ChipIt) that gap is closed considerably.

If you're getting an older D22, make sure it has an intercooler and if it doesn't get one. Any mistreatment of the turbocharger (eg running the vehicle hard then just turning it off) destroys the turbo and without an intercooler that'll destroy your motor.

How do they compare to other manufacturers? The Navaras have a good towing capacity, they're fairly good on fuel and they're well appointed inside compared to the competition.

Oh, you mentioned the V6 ... the new V6 diesel is poisonously expensive for the power you get. It's a bloody nice vehicle to drive but my 4cyl 2.5L TD will do me for now.

The petrol V6 is a 4.0L that sucks about 15-17LPHK around town compared to the 10-12LPHK of the D40 turbo diesel (unloaded). It's definitely more powerful than the 4cyl diesel but the diesel tows better (I hear - don't have actual experience with that).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that....
A mate at work has a D22 with the 2" suspension lift & M/T tyres + an Opposite Lock Tube Bullbar.... It looks great and that's what got me interested..... but he did say that the 2nd row is a bit cramped for passengers.... We have 3 small kids, so I assume while their small/young it wouldn't be a problem, but as they get to their teens, it may become an issue....
How do u find the 2nd row for passengers??

rob

hey mate i myself have just purchased a 2011 d22 navara am very happy with it and for 32k brand new pretty good they are pretty basic though not many high tech features but you get dual batteries standard the tray is longer then past models i also got electronic rust protection 13yrs guarantee and tinted windows and remote keyless entry for this price, the economy from the 2.5 td is good im averaging 800km out of a tank id say go with the td, the d40 did have a few problems with clutches and breaking the chassis when towing am unsure if these problems have been rectified or not, the stock suspension is pretty poor on the d22 but most people upgrade with a 2" suspension lift anyway which towing a camper would be a good idea hope a few of these things help

yeh i have done the 2inch lift drives 10x better yeh the back is pretty cramped mate but depends on your height as me being 6'6" not much room behind me but if your average height its not so bad on long drives though id say it wouldnt be to comfortable i honestly havent had many people in the back usually just me and a mate in the passenger seat am going to straddie this weekend with passengers so ill find out from them how it goes, do be aware if your kids need child restraints older models dont come with restraint points standard they are an extra add on

When the 2.5ltr came out, I gather it was a Common Rail (CRD) from the start?

Any issues with dirty fuel, etc? What about blow-by?

rob

Last edited:
The 2.5s are common rails and can suffer badly from dirty fuel. It does pay to buy fuel (generally) from truck stops. I even use their bowsers, but that's because I've often got the van on the back and don't fit in the tiny spaces they leave for the tiny tintops.

Blowby is the same as for any other diesel. Fit a catch can, keeps the intercooler clean.

Cheers for that.....

Between the D40 & the D22 (other than size) is there any problems that I should be aware of when looking around for a 2nd hand ones??

Rust... Mechanical issues, etc etc etc Parts or areas that are more prone to wear and tear ??

rob

The 2.5s are common rails and can suffer badly from dirty fuel. It does pay to buy fuel (generally) from truck stops. I even use their bowsers, but that's because I've often got the van on the back and don't fit in the tiny spaces they leave for the tiny tintops.

Blowby is the same as for any other diesel. Fit a catch can, keeps the intercooler clean.

from talkin to a mate whos a mechanic he advises to steer clear of the early d40s as had a few problems as i listed previous, just the usual mate check for rust how often its been offroad if it was used for towing alot, try to steer clear just as there will be more wear and tear on the ute, if they have genuine roof racks mounted check around the rails for rust they do get this pretty often, try to fund something with most of the mods you want already on as these can become quite costly but you will probably always be buying something different to improve your offroading capabilities

The D22s have had less recalls I suppose but there have been more people (in this forum at least) trying to find a box of matches for their D22s than us D40 owners.

I'm biased. I have a D40 and it's BLOODY comfortable on long trips. The D22 ride is like a tractor - unless you put the D40 seats in it - it's noisier in the cabin too, so you'd have to add sound-mat to the thing to quieten the cabin down to the level of the D40.

There are no major problems with either, really. Every now and again you find a lemon, but the same is true of any model from any manufacturer.

test drive all 3 models the 3ltr td d22 the 2.5 d22 and the d40 and take the family with you see what you and the family feel more comfortable in and base your decision on that the d22 ride being like a tractor tony i dont know about that mate my lowered ss with 20s and bucket racing seats rode harsher then my d22, noisier in the cabin turn the music up a bit louder but i havent had any issues with noise in the cabin so i wouldnt bother wasting money on sound proofing and yes no matter what car you buy you could have problems its all luck of the draw

Yer you need a turtle neck sweater to drive a D40 ...... Ha ha Hair Dresser cars Like Vitaras

Yeah... I hear that Hairdresser comment all the time..... it usually dissappears when they see where the Vitara can go.....So I don't usually worry about those sort of comments anymore :sarcastic::big_smile:

In keeping an eye out on the road, I see more D22's with Bullbars that look the part.... Don't see that many D40's on the road that are modified..... ie: Bullbars / Lift-Kits, etc.....

Would it be far to say the D22's are better off road here (not wanting to start a D22 vs D40 fight here :rock:) - Do they have better approach/departure angles, etc ??

Do the Navara's come standard with LSD's in the Rear ? Do they work as good as the LSD's in the Patrols?

D22s have a shorter wheelbase so their ramp-over is better than the longer D40. D40s are more expensive - base price is something like $10K higher than the D22. I think the D22's approach angle is a little better but both have similar departure angles.

I've got a bullbar (with winch) up front, and a Hayman Reese hitch up the back, so my approach & departure angles are reduced somewhat. Nothing a 2" suspension and 2" body lift wouldn't help though - but I'm not ready to lift mine just yet.

Latest posts

Back