GPS wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentay

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Garmin gps unit and am wanting to hardwire the power into the truck.

I am going to run the wire down the A pillar but need to find a power source!

Also, can I just remove the cigarette lighter connector and split the wires for positive and negative?

Regards,

Thank you for the answer Old.Tony

I also was referring to the connector on the end of the wire for the gps power cable which plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Do I need to place a fuse between the cigarette lighter and gps unit? Or can I just run the cable without one?

Regards,

it needs to be 5volts not 12volts.. i used a hardwire kit from ebay.

If the GPS unit comes with a cig lighter plug, it probably has a fuse built into the tip. Twist the surround of the tip and it comes out (don't lose the spring inside it).

Otherwise, it's probably a 5V supply like Al says, so get a 12V to USB adapter and go from there.

If you're hard-wiring the cig lighter adapter, don't cut the cable off - there'll be a voltage reduction circuit inside it to reduce the 12V to 5V (probably an LM317, or a 5.1V 500mW zener driving it). You'll need to include that.

Thanks for the link Al!

So I can use that kit and hard wire one end into the back of the cigarette lighter?

This forum is really great with the support!

Regards,

Yep thats where I piggy backed into. Rear of the cig lighter socket.

Just check yours is the same type of USB plug (MINI USB) and that is is rotated the right 90 deg way. I mount mine in the corner near driver and the 90 deg is perfect as it stops the cable bending over to head down the side of the dash.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back