Grinding/whirring noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt87

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a 2008 auto d40, now recently I have been driving over 70k to and from work and I have noticed a horrible noise at 30kmph only, both going past 30kmph accelerating and decelerating, even if different gears, 1, 2 or 3. I'm thinking it sounds like a drive shaft out of whack but I thought it would be making that sound constantly.

Any help greatly appreciated

Also a bit more info is that I have a 2 inch suspension lift and drop down shackles at the back which makes the back sit up a bit more than the front and makes the angle of the drive shaft more severe! I might take the drop down shackles out tonight and see if that helps

Had the same problem. My nosie was starting at 60km ended up beeing front left hub bearing was gone

Mine was a uni joint, similar noise. Mechanic got underneath and gave the rear prop shaft a shake - it shook! I've since tried moving it myself (after it was fixed) and it's nice and tight. Give yours a shake!

Could be either of these. If it was a bearing I can't pin point what corner as it sounds as if it's coming from centre,

I gave my drive shaft a shake and it moves about 10mm either way. Did yours make a noise at certain speeds

Could it have something to do with drum brakes. I actually don't remember when the shoes were replaced last!!

Just got home and I had another peek under the Nav incase I missed something obvious. The drive shaft to the front diff has a fair bit of slop in it, more so than the rear drive shaft. Twists probably close to 20mm either way.

Do you guys rekon my symptoms add up to a fault with my front drive shaft.

The whole shaft including uni joints move together so I'm thinking not unijoints. What other parts are prone to being replaced in either diff end or transfer case end??

My front shaft is so tight it'd make a nun proud, so I'd suggest 20mm of slop might need some attention.

Which way is the slop, though? Is it wobble (down towards the ground, then up towards the car) or is it shifting forwards towards the front diff and back to the transfer case, or is it rotational slop? Different slop means different things (and that statement could be applied to many, many things).

The drive shafts especially the front should have rotational free play. This is what is termed as backlash and without proper backlash adjustment your diff can bind up. 20mm rotational free play sounds right but there is specific tests from the FSM uses a dial gauge to measure the backlash between the crown and pinion. Of course you would have to remove your front did and pull the front cover off to test it. The rear diff has the sane set up with backlash however I would say it is a lot more strict as the front diff is part time unlike the rear

Thanks guys for your help

It seems to be getting worse everyday
Maybe it's outta my hands and I get a mechanic to look at it

Is it worth undoing my front drive shaft and seeing if there is any noise still?? Is there any problems that could come up like errors popping up??

There are no sensors in the actual powertrain forward of the transfer case - so the thing can self-destruct and the only way you'd know is by the noise, the bumps, the banging from underneath (which is also sometimes caused by Toyota drivers that you're running over) or the complete lack of 4WD because your front diff is now more like an unwanted 3D jigsaw.

Just to tell everyone the outcome of my noise

I think it was an accumulation of everything
I had the timing chain, front tyres and shocks replaced today and I couldn't be happier. Drives like new again. Very happy with my mech( I can pass on details if anyone wants, Perth NOr mechanic, very thorough)

So I now have no noises (except stt's grabbing the bitumen) and I'm gonna take her out this weekend and test it out.

Me and my mech put it down to chains and tyres, tyres were wrecked due to shocks being wrecked

Latest posts

Back