Growling noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman

Reaction score
Posting here as i think this is a drive line issue but who knows?
I have been trying to trace the source of a deep growling, resonant noise. Its most obvious at 40kmh but is there to a lesser extent either side of that. It is not affected by load or engine revs. Its the same in D or any gear. It will still do it if rolling in N. My first thought was a wheel bearing but they seem fine and it makes no difference if there is a lateral load on wheels or not. 4wd makes no change.
Im a bit stumped! Any ideas? As its my only work vehicle and i do a huge very rural milage i need to sort these kind of things before it breaks!
Thanks

Its a 2010 thai D40 auto ST.

What rubber do you have tony?? I only ask as my 32`s dum a lot louder after they are half worn, which is strange as I would have thought that it would have been worse when brand new. Also worse at some speeds then others.

BF Goodrich A/T here, but back to 255/70R16 (factory size). I do get some change in sound on variations of driving surface - concrete vs smoothish bitumen vs roughish bitumen (especially noticeable on roads that have had large sections patched).

So that raises the question - does the sound change on different surfaces, or is it consistent?

I find that it changed depending on surface and gravel texture, the smoother and less gravel/more tar they seem to use the louder I find the sound is.
And the wear on the rubber, once it's half worn I find them louder as well. And just to confuse you all speed is also a variable as in 60k can be louder then 80k.
The sound is a drumming or droning sound it's constant and reflects the speed not sure if that helps, A/T rubber shouldn't drone that much. Maybe a little but nothing too noticeable.

The only growling I get is the dog in the back or induction noise through the snorkel. How is the centre bearing?, this can produce the noise you have.

Thanks guys, its defo not tyre noise as its mechanicle in nature. HJ trying not to be dumb but what is centre bearing? Do you mean pinion bearing or inner half shaft bearings?
I do get some whining from the back but its usually 'are we there yet?'

Hmmm i think you must be thinking of D22? No centre bearing on D40
Spent a bit of time today in the mechanics shop with the car up on the high lift. Everything seems mint when its just sitting there spinning it wheels but as soon as it gets some weight on the wheels the growl is back. Long and short of it is we think its the left front wheel bearing so it will be replaced next week and with luck that will sort it.
Need good bearings for when the 33s go on!

Update, replaced the front left wheel bearing which seemed 'rough' but made no difference. Mechanic is a bit stumped. Defo coming from lower front and seems to be left side but its not easy to tell.
The only factor that changes the sound is speed. Any ideas anyone?
Want to fix it before something actually breaks!

Iceman......... I KNOW YOUR PAIN

2011 d40 st thai build. 5spd auto and that bloody noise. Any situation or scenario that you can imagine, it doesn't discriminate. Predominately in 2nd and 3rd gears when pulling out of a round about or off a set of lights. mine sounds like a washing machine going through a wash cycle. over the past few months is has not been sounding , but its back. have just put on bfg LT 265/70/16R all terrain and its back with a vengeance. Sounds like it has trouble going up a gear. Cant make the noise happen to nissan mechanic. No noise no fix.......
He did mention remapping the computer in regards to fuel?????

Still ongoing issue, but otherwise great ute

cheers hope this may help
sunny

Any update on the outcome of this

I've just run into this problem and have exactly the same symptoms except my noise is at 30 kph no matter what gear or or revs

I've had the same suggestions, tailshaft uni, wheel bearing.

Cheers

Yes sorry i should of posted an update. Turned out the noise was the tyres. I had a well used set of savero at on there and they were the problem. Once the cooper 33s went on all is good! Strange thig is it sounded and felt just like wheel bearings.

Latest posts

Back