GVM Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvguy

Reaction score
I have 08 D40 King cab steel tray and Nissan steel bar which i brought 2nd hand about a year and half back.
I'm a Carpenter so i carry alot of weight all the except for the odd weekend going bush camping etc.
Because the stock Nissan Suspension gear is just about dead I have been looking into Sax Suspension and the rep started asking me questions about how much weight i carry i wasn't sure so off i went down to my local tip/weigh bridge
I'm a big boy 6foot6 125kg
Rego Tare 1940
Empty car no tools light as i can make it but full of Fuel 80L No driver 2420
Went back full of tools like every day going work full of fuel 80L No Driver2800
On the Inside of a door a stickers plate says GVM 2805
So am in trouble cause i have to much weight etc
Would i be covered Insurance wise if was to have to claim etc
Need some help if anybody as come across these sort of things
Cheers FPVguy

Insurance would entirely depend on what caused the accident. If they could argue that being over weight was the cause then maybe they would refuse to pay but it doesn't mean they will. If you were obviously overweight (like me the times I have towed 4 tonne worth of moo moos behind the ute) then the chances are probably higher but given you're not going massively over I wouldn't reckon you'd have a huge issue unless the accident could be without doubt blamed on the hundred kg's or so over that your ute would be.

Bear in mind that on the day an accident could happen you might only have 10 liters left in the tank and there's 70kg (roughly) gone from the GMV, a few tools off at the shop or left at home and you may scrape under any load limits anyway.

Note I don't advocate breaking the rules and there is a risk in doing so but I'd suggest in this case the risk is probably small.

Passengers would change that equation.

You can get your GVM upgraded - ARB do this, requires a change to your rego and an increase in weight tax. Not sure what that equates to in $.

As far as your insurance is concerned, the fine print will say "your vehicle must be roadworthy". If you want to carry more - and the Navara is capable of it (with suspension mods) then get it adjusted = roadworthy = no dramas with insurance.

I didnt think that i was that close to GVM
There must be so many people drivng around like me if not more weight

You're dead right, there is a few people on this forum who have realised either their daily drive or the weekend getaway is over weight and there is probably more people out there who don't even realise it.

Same goes for Commondore and Failcon drivers etc who whack a trailer on the back and think it's ok because they have a towbar and a towball. The number of cars on the road that are unroadworthy and possibly risk their insurance not paying out would probably be well over a third of the the total cars on the road.

Latest posts

Back