Heading to Fraser

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stompy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm heading to Fraser at the end of the month and don't have a lot of sand driving experience... Im running 265 /75/16's bfg all terrains on steel rims, what pressure you guys recommend?

I'm heading there too, at the moment 20psi is fine when it's very soft and dry dont be afraid to go to 17 if you have to. Indian Head bypass track is as soft as shit and tricks many a driver up.

I just went this weekend, I live in Hervey Bay so I am always going to Fraser haha. I run 16 psi in my 265/75/16 yokohama geolandars as I find that works best for me, I just dont drive over 80kph on the beach. Look at the foot print between 30psi, 20 psi and 15psi. There is bugger all difference between 30 and 20 psi, but the difference between 20 and 15 psi is substantial. This is the reason I go below 20psi as I dont think the footprint difference is enough between 30 and 20psi. Indian was fine the only place on the island that is challenging is Ngkala Rocks on the way north from Waddy point to the Sandy cape. This track can be tricky heading north, south is much easier. The bit where everyone bogs is on the way up the incline heading north, you really need to hit it with a bit of pace and use some momentum with your tyres down to 15ish psi. This jeep gets stuck exactly where I am talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn1s3usJBA0. If you get stuck and lose momentum dont plant your foot and bog down to the axles, easier to reverse back down to the start get a bit more speed up. The jeep gets stuck cos it is crawling. 3rd gear low range is a good option. It is worth heading to the cape as not many people get up there, there are no tourists and mainly locals who get that far up and it is a beautiful view from the light house which is a little trek to get to. Also just be careful as the track is basically only wide enough fro one vehicle in most segments, so be mindful of other people heading back south, worth walking or driving in to the start of the hill to see if people are already bogged there. Also the sand there is very dark and at mid day is so hot it burns your feet without shoes on, making getting bogged even more unpleasant.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Ngkala's condition is though as we ere staying at Yidney rocks and were unable to get time to head all the way up to the cape, I was keen but the others in my group werent. I like to go everytime that I go. Other worthy places of going are, mackenzie, eli creek, lake wabby (decent trek from the beach but so worth it), indian head walk, champagne pools. Stop at Eurong bakery/cafe for a home made pie, they are pricey but bloody delicious.

Good report mate, I was down to 15psi in 2013 when it had no rain for ages the sand was like talc powder, the inland track to Kingfisher was shocking. Beware of drunken backpackers in hire cruisers too, we got tired of helping them.

You will have a blast mate. Went over for the first time back in Feb and loved it. Going again next August and cannot wait. I was running my 265/75/16 Bighorns at about 18-20psi and had no issues, but the tracks/beach were all in pretty good nick. One bit of advice, dont be afraid to help out others who are unfortunate enough to get stuck.

One day we were heading along an inland track towards Eurong when all of a sudden we hit gridlock. There was about 6-8 fourbys all lined up in front of us. After a few minutes of waiting we decided to get out and have a look what was going on. On the way up one of the drivers of the fourbys in the line up said to us "just some tourists stuck up ahead, idiots cant get them selves out", to which we replied, 'well is anyone helping them?" and he said no!! So we went back and grab the shovel and maxtraxx and headed up to find a rental troopie bogged to the sills, with a group of guys (tourists) standing around looking at it. After about 5 or so minutes of digging etc we had them free. After stopping and talking to the guys they told us they received no training or instruction from the rental mob. No recovery gear, standard tyre pressures (not allowed to drop them for insurance reasons) and this particular troopie only had one hub that locked and I could not for the life of me engage low range. They didnt stand a chance!! Once they were clear the rest of the traffic then started to flow and not one of the other cars stopped to say thanks at all.

Other than that mate, it was an amazing place!!

You will have a blast mate. Went over for the first time back in Feb and loved it. Going again next August and cannot wait. I was running my 265/75/16 Bighorns at about 18-20psi and had no issues, but the tracks/beach were all in pretty good nick. One bit of advice, dont be afraid to help out others who are unfortunate enough to get stuck.

One day we were heading along an inland track towards Eurong when all of a sudden we hit gridlock. There was about 6-8 fourbys all lined up in front of us. After a few minutes of waiting we decided to get out and have a look what was going on. On the way up one of the drivers of the fourbys in the line up said to us "just some tourists stuck up ahead, idiots cant get them selves out", to which we replied, 'well is anyone helping them?" and he said no!! So we went back and grab the shovel and maxtraxx and headed up to find a rental troopie bogged to the sills, with a group of guys (tourists) standing around looking at it. After about 5 or so minutes of digging etc we had them free. After stopping and talking to the guys they told us they received no training or instruction from the rental mob. No recovery gear, standard tyre pressures (not allowed to drop them for insurance reasons) and this particular troopie only had one hub that locked and I could not for the life of me engage low range. They didnt stand a chance!! Once they were clear the rest of the traffic then started to flow and not one of the other cars stopped to say thanks at all.

Other than that mate, it was an amazing place!!

Howdy all, just reading up on your travels as I wish to do the same! Cant wait!

I do worry about helping others on the road after reading of a young fella who stoped to help some dill stuck on a beach with wife 3 kids and not one piece of recovery gear "survival gear lol".
The fella lets him use his 4 max traks and watches this dill spin the wheels and in the process destroying them taking the raised lumps off them. Guy says thanks and then drives off and lets this fella dig his max trak out to find them ruined - $600 gone and more importantly leaves this good hearted fella with no recovery gear!
So I have made up my mind -if I come across another who's stupid enough to set out with out any recovery gear you will get nothing from me other than a bottle of water and a dry biscuit and I'll call the towing company for you... This thought was cemented after helping out 2 maggots from central Qld that needed jumper leads "seriously who travels with out them" "opportunistic maggots that who" .. These 2 where a class act indeed- the story goes on and involves one of these maggots pulling a knife on me after some drug induced break down the next day.. If you bored and want to know the full story let me know lol
I knew as soon as I helped these two "mutts" that this wouldn't be the end.. It's like dealing with children - if you wipe there arse for them they will always want you to wipe their arse!" ...
You want to have seen this rig ffs even the battery terminals looked like the snowy mountains with all that shit that builds up on "non serviced" vehicles batteries.
These 2 are driving a beaten up shit box Burgundy Land Cruiser with painted black standard rims and towing a busted up trailer with those steel locker boxes you have at factories etc 'for workers gear' on it with one of those monkey bikes.. What is it with monkey bikes and their riders ??? Seriously are they all **** heads- I guess not cleaver "they brought a monkey bike" and not to ride round the "pits" if you know what I mean. Like the genius that killed that lady in the car park of a shopping centre doing her shopping ffs the poor husband!

Anyway I know I will have to look at each case but as far as burning clutches pulling people out or breaking my gear I'm not doing it! And after the knife thing ffs I just don't need it, that happened at Warburton Caravan Park ffs! Nice spot though :)
I feel like a prick as it as it goes against my nature to help others but fukc'em - if your stupid enough to travel with out any thought maybe society will be better off with out you "in fact I know it will be"-plus the dingo's have to eat!. ;)

Cheers, Vic

Last edited:
The trouble is Vic that track Ant refers to once some goose boggs themself until they are out you go nowhere. I've even seen a bogged troop carrier they cut the vinyl floor out of with a knife and used that for traction to attempt to free themself, needless to say the hire mob would of hit the roof when it was returned in that condition. Nearly all of the people I have recovered when I check their pressure it's usually around 40psi, in other words not let down at all since they left the tar.

I see where you are coming from Vic, sounds like you had a bit of a rough experience mate, sorry to hear that.

The guys who were driving this troopie had been given very little/no instruction on how to drive in the sand at all. In this instance I ended up driving their troopie out for them as they spoke/understood very little english and just could not follow the instructions we were giving. As HJ said, there was no other way around hence the back log of other vehicles, so unless these guys got moving, we were all stuck there.

All that aside, if you havent been to Fraser, go. Its truly awesome. We were there in Feb and Cyclone Marcia was absolutely battering us, but we still had an awesome time!!

I see where you are coming from Vic, sounds like you had a bit of a rough experience mate, sorry to hear that.

The guys who were driving this troopie had been given very little/no instruction on how to drive in the sand at all. In this instance I ended up driving their troopie out for them as they spoke/understood very little english and just could not follow the instructions we were giving. As HJ said, there was no other way around hence the back log of other vehicles, so unless these guys got moving, we were all stuck there.

All that aside, if you havent been to Fraser, go. Its truly awesome. We were there in Feb and Cyclone Marcia was absolutely battering us, but we still had an awesome time!!

I know exactly where your coming from with the turo's lol The poor buggers - seen a group take one of those "hippy vans" up the beach here in Vic lol they did alright for a few miles...

Oh yeahhh talk about bad luck ffs but the knife thing tops the list ! Give me issues with the Nav' anyyyyday! lol

Allll I want to do is get up there so stop rubbing it in ;) I have had a hammock that I have never used that was given to me over 10 years ago. I used it as a motivator to get a 4'b all set up and going, and by no means no "knife wielding nut" is going to stop me from setting that f'n hammock up on one of those beaches let me tell you lol All I see lately is pictures, vid's, add's all showing me the white beaches and blue waters.... Have you seen the weather reports on the coast line of Victoria- Aaaand guess where I am :(

A HJ recovery on Fraser in 1991, The Niva and trailer were down to the chassis, no recovery points with the tide moving fast I had to pull it via the bottom of the steel bullbar. With the owners consent the bar was ruined. But got it out in the nick of time.....

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 88
A HJ recovery on Fraser in 1991, The Niva and trailer were down to the chassis, no recovery points with the tide moving fast I had to pull it via the bottom of the steel bullbar. With the owners consent the bar was ruined. But got it out in the nick of time.....

lol you couldn't get it any deeper !

I know It scares the shit'a out of me getting stuck on a tide line like that.. I'll probably get bogged from the weight of all the recovery gear on mine :)

It can only get better...... it better get better lol

Makes you wonder how long the other's would have waited for the track to clear and get moving?

Quick update.

Didnt make it to Fraser... worst weekend ive had in a long time.

Issue started on the drive up, had a really bad surge, and loss of power. It kept happening and getting worse. Turns out i picked up some bad fuel, which clogged the filter, wish i'd known this at the time, coulda gotten a new filter and continued on... ended up turning the boat around, heading back down to sydney and sucking on my thumb for 2 days... before deciding that i might as well just go back to work. fml

Lessons learned. Just change all the filters before leaving for a trip and take spares..

Will start planning the next one shortly if anyone else is keen.

That's bad luck mate sorry to hear, I am heading off early Saturday for a week there. Hopefully the forcast is correct and there will be no rain, hope you get up there soon without any issues.

Just got back from a nice week on the island. Carefull with the tide when you get off the barge from Inskip. The sand is very dry and windblown and as soft as shite. Keep around 20psi or lower, the track out of Lake Makenzie was so soft and chewed up 6 rigs were bogged badly in no time.

Care around Indian Head bypass, two D40's had busted radiators with no protection, also a Amorok and Territory busted things. If you head inland before Sandy Cape, the creek needs to be checked if you have no snorkle go around, the water was to the top of my bonnet.

Phone service is still Telstra and very hard to find a good spot, but it's found in all strange places sometimes 3 bars without a tower in sight. Keep the boot down around Eli Creek, the sand is very soft 2 Landcruisers rolled driving up the bank and it has collapsed on one side (dickheads). Apart from that remember there is a heap of newbies driving in the sand without a clue.

Hope this helps anyone on their way there over the hols, mainly take your time and never be afraid to go under 20psi if needed.

Latest posts

Back