Hello - ... I think I need n Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOESMAN

Reaction score
Hi Navara forum guys.

I am from Quinns Rocks north of Perth.

I joined this forum so I can start reading up on the Nissan Navara utes in order to make up my mind which to buy.

We currently use an old Jeep XJ Cherokee as our weekend and towing vehicle, but as the fuel bill is a bit steep and the space is getting a bit cramped we were thinking of upgrading to a Navara.

This is our current setup:

We tow a 2ton (max fully loaded) caravan.
My budget is set to around $16k.
Ute will be used as a daily drive to work and back (50km round trip)
Would like to still go into the dunes for a play so 4x4 needed for sure.
We are a family of 3 (myself and SWAMBO and a 8 year old girl)

I have been searching Gumtree and also tried asking around on other forums for advice, but finally found this forum.

If any of you guys can give some advice or feedback it would be much appreciated.
I was thinking I need to choose between a D22 3.0lt diesel or the newer D40 2.5 lt diesel (might be too expensive though), but I cant seem to find a lot of info on what the pros and cons of both would be for my needs.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated...

....heading off to the search function in the mean time........:redcool:

gday and welcome to the forum.

if you need space the D22 is not for you as the back seat is lacking in space and i would think it would be less then the cherokee.

So i would look at the D40, but as you will be towing you are best off with the Auto as the older MANUAL models that are in your price range will have the Dual mass fly wheel (DMF) which are prone to failure when towing heavy trailers on a consistent basis, HOWEVER that can be overcome by installing a single mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch, BUT that will cost between Around $1500 from memory maybe even a bit more.

Welcome to the forum.

I think it depends on your needs and likes. If you really admire the smell of chicken manure then get a pathfinder - same vehicle as the D40, but shorter, marginally lighter and anything you stow in the cargo bay can be instantly smelt and enjoyed by all passengers.

The ute does have more carrying capacity! The D22 has a slightly shorter wheelbase, does NOT come in an auto, and has about 175mm less room in the cabin (most of that lost in the rear seat) compared to the D40, which has coil front suspension rather than torsion bars and much more comfy seats. Both get similar economy, can tow 3T and travel on most terrain (lunar terrain is sorta hard to do with the standard engine).

Both cars have "light duty" front diffs and benefit from lockers if you're the kind of 4WDer that finds some loose stuff and hammers it. They both can take loads of around 800kg-1000kg in the back, 95kg on the roof and can have their fuel capacity raised to around 150L - good for about 2100km without towing.

Thank you very much for the replies.

It does seem I need to first go drive a D22 and also a D40 and then ALSO get in the back seat of both as both of you have mentioned the lack of space in the rear seats.

I am not keen on another SUV type vehicle like the Pathfinder but very much like the idea of having a lot of packing space in the load tray behind the utes.

If SWAMBO will permit me, I would like to get one with a tradies tray rather than a factory tray. Then add a canvas canopy later on.

Latest posts

Back