Help! 4wd light problem.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCBR

Reaction score
Today I installed a Redarc electric brake controller and now my 4wd light on the dash is on all the time. The car does not seem to be in 4wd and if I select 4lo and drive the car drives normally rather than reving high and moving slow.

In the process of this job I have removed the glove box, lower right hand panel, centre panel (around stereo and a/c controls) and the console. I did not remove the panel where the 4wd selector switch is but I moved it forward so I could get to one of the blanks. After putting it all back together I started the car to find the 4wd light on.

I have tried switching between all modes but nothing seem to change so I thought maybe a fuse but can't find any blown. I disconnected the battery and did the brake pedal thing but still no luck.

I can't see any reason why the work I did has had this affect and it is doing my head in. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think it was yellow. The wiring was there from the PO so I just used what he had. It is from the brake pedal switch.

There are two switches on the brake, I think (from memory) my brake controller is connected to the red wire.

4WD light might be on because of an ABS fault too. Check that fuse, I think it's in the box near the ABS unit just between it and the turbocharger. It's usually a transfer case sensor though - the transfer case relays are in the distribution box just behind the battery, so check all of those plus the fuses - might just be dirty contacts, so remove + reinsert often cleans them enough to make things go again.

The PO had had a controller in there but removed it before trade in. I checked through the wiring and it seemed fine so I wired my new controller to it. My car is an 09 RX.
I will check those other fuses and relays aswell.

O.K. I found a new symptom..... The air con is not working. The fan works but when I push the air con button there is nothing. It sounds like a fuse to me but I have pulled out every fuse in the box in the glove box, behind the battery and the one for ABS but all are fine. I am going to pull the dash apart now and recheck all my work.

Okay, here's something to try (page 19 of PG.PDF):

Auto Active Test GKS000CH
DESCRIPTION
 In auto active test mode, operation inspection can be performed when IPDM E/R sends a drive signal to
the following systems:
– Rear window defogger
– Front wiper
– Tail lamps, front fog lamps, parking lamps and license plate lamps
– Headlamps (HI, LO)
– A/C compressor (magnetic clutch)
– Cooling fan
– Oil pressure warning lamp
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Close hood and front door passenger side, and then lift wiper arms away from windshield (to prevent
glass damage by wiper operation).
NOTE:
When auto active test is performed with hood opened, sprinkle water on windshield beforehand.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch ON and, within 20 seconds, press driver's door switch 10 times (close other doors).
Then turn ignition switch OFF.
4. Turn ignition switch ON within 10 seconds after ignition switch OFF.
5. When auto active test mode is actuated, oil pressure warning lamp starts blinking.
6. After a series of operations is repeated three times, auto active test is completed.
NOTE:
When auto active test mode has to be cancelled halfway, turn ignition switch OFF.

Let us know if the air con clutch engages. Wet the windscreen if you want the bonnet up during the test.

Ok. Tried that. All worked and the air con click on and off. Started the car up and the air con now works again but 4wd light is still on. I have rechecked my work and did not leave anything unplugged.

Okay, next thing to try: on level ground, engine NOT running, handbrake OFF, foot ON BRAKE, gearbox in neutral. Change the 4WD selector to 4LO. Do you hear/feel a thunk from underneath the car? It's noticeable when my diesel's turning over so with the engine off it should be easy to notice.

If that's not working, it's possibly a servo failure on the transfer case (which might be a failure because of a faulty connector too). Take a large screwdriver and crawl underneath with tools to remove the servo from the transfer case. When it's out, if you shine a light inside where the servo came from you'll see a slot. This should be (let's pretend) at "zero degrees" - it's where 2HI is.

Stick the screwdriver in the slot and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. This is the position for 4HI. If that was smooth, turn the screwdriver a further 180 degrees (bringing the total rotation to 270 degrees, 3/4 of a full turn). This is the position for 4LO. Now rotate the screwdriver back all the way until it stops.

While you have the servo out, get someone to jump in the cabin and turn the ignition on without starting the engine, gearbox in neutral, foot on the brake and engage 4LO while you're watching the servo. Does it turn? If so, the servo MIGHT be ok. Return the transfer selector to 2HI and reinstall the servo.

Has the 4WD indicator gone away?

So I ended up taking it to Nissan and getting it put on the computer. They found code 1818 and checked the 4wd switch wiring. They found that the plug in the engine bay had a bad connection and cleared the code. They said it had nothing to do with the fitting of the brake controller and was just a coincidence. Thanks all for the help especially Old Tony (you fixed the air con) and still don't know what that had to with anything.

I have had the shift computer, transfer case and shift relays all replaced under warranty. One dealer tried to blame the valvoline gearbox oil that my mechanic used causing the shift problem. I ended up going back to the dealer I purchased the vehicle from, who I must say was more than helpful. It took 3 visits to work it out.
Unfortunately, I am now 3 months out of warranty and had the same issue again yesterday. I drove the car for an hour or so today and it shifted without a problem?
It seems that this is an inherent problem with the navara. If it would be possible I would retrofit a manual shifter.
Back to hilux for me

Latest posts

Back