Help engine just stopped!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recent pic of her

Attachments

• IMG_1282[1].jpg
    IMG_1282[1].jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 98
yea its steel tray,been meaning to write one up but been busy working on it haha,once shes going again ill do a write up

Shit mate look like a mean machine you built there. It's a freakin' nightmare when stuff like this happens. I sound like a girl whining about my heater not working after my exhaust got fitted, and here there are people with much larger issues. lol
Anyways hope it all works out for ya and for your sake i hope your mechanics are wrong and its not as bad as predicted.

cheers mate.yea its pretty shit.haha my heater is one of my favourite features when im hunting up in the mountains at 3 in the morning freezing my arse off!!did you find the cause?

cheers mate.yea its pretty shit.haha my heater is one of my favourite features when im hunting up in the mountains at 3 in the morning freezing my arse off!!did you find the cause?

Not really, only speculations, but its working now. Keep this updated mate, i think a lot of folk here are curious wtf is up with your engine exactly, and hope it's not the worst.

ok so F@$%K,engine is done and dusted.pistons bent the valves.
what are my options?rebuild possible?how hard is it?if i buy a new create engine would i be able to install myself?im quet capable doing mechanical stuff,dont know alot about engines but what im saying is im generally able to figure it out

Is there actual piston damage or just head/valve damage. You may get away with just a top end rebuild. New head etc.

Saves taking engine out. A new head is not that hard. Just remember to get TDC and your timing right.

Fingers crossed

not 100%,only spoke to them over the phone,am heading in there tommorow to get more detail,but my injector pump is screwed aswell.
so if its just the valves a top end will do?but if its piston damage it a new engine?

What a F$#$ING BIATCH!!! sorry to hear that dude, Maybe look at a good second hand one with low kms that comes complete so you get the pump as well, and if you get it with 6month parts and labour warranty you should be sweet. It may work out a whole shit load cheaper?????

F$*K mate, really sorry to hear. Was your car making any noise before it happened? Hard to comprehend a timing chain snapping unless the cam bolt was over torqued. Theres a very similar story i found on google like yours, he over torqued the cam bearing bolt or something like that.

I injector pump too! man, again im sorry to hear about the degree of damage.
Maybe just look into another whole engine. As the pump 3000, timing chain 200
head.... not sure. your into the 4000 plus.

Let me know what path you go

F$*K mate, really sorry to hear. Was your car making any noise before it happened? Hard to comprehend a timing chain snapping unless the cam bolt was over torqued. Theres a very similar story i found on google like yours, he over torqued the cam bearing bolt or something like that.

I injector pump too! man, again im sorry to hear about the degree of damage.
Maybe just look into another whole engine. As the pump 3000, timing chain 200
head.... not sure. your into the 4000 plus.

Let me know what path you go

as someone said earlier it may not be that the cam chain snapped, but the keyway on the camshaft that goes into the sprocket may have sheared and the camshaft stopped spinning if the bolt wasn't torqued enough when the work was done.

sorry to hear it, hopefully there is no piston damage and you can get away with a top end rebuild... it might be possible that the head is ok too with just bent valves but you won't know until you see it...

Injector pump $3k !? :eek2: What the f...

Back on topic, sorry to hear that Craig. Makes me shiver just thinking about it mate.

The pump in the D40 is worse - $4K.

Craig, that's bloody bad news mate. I like Nathan's idea of a good second-hand donk, especially if you can get a 6-month warranty.

theres a complete engine on ebay but its got 147ks on it,not sure.
Lawry thats what pisses me of the most,there was absolutely no warning,which is why i ruled it out when it first happened,i thought id get some kind of warning before it just snapped.and WTF is the go with injector pumps being so expencive??

anyway im going in tommorow to see exactly what the go is because if this mechanic is just trying to get work ill loose my SHIT!!!!
Glad i joined this forum as all the mechanics i speak to gobb off about zd30 and how shit they are and how shit navs are and just to fix it and sell it,well guess what go F@#K yourselfs,i love my nav and it would destroy there piece of shit on the tracks anyday.not to mention if they new there shit then theyd know that most problems with the zd30 is in the patrol and chances are the reason the timeing chain shat itself is the mechanic that did it did it wrong,townsville mechanics are shit and id trust my work over theres anyday of the week and im only just learning.
its just good to talk to blokes that actually know what they are talking about.
will let you guys know the details tommorow when i see it with my own eyes

Last edited:
Agreed, i would rather do the work myself. So i can at least blame myself if something goes wrong. I no where shortcuts were taken. I hope the mechanic isnt just digging for money like you said. Back hand would be coming his way!

Yer injector pump carry a massive price tag.. pretty much the steepest dollar part on the zd30s. You could get one for 2500 new maybe (just guessing) as ive seen them for 2800 once new. Would have to look around. Or you could get yours rebuild for a tad cheaper, you will have to look around.

you have me paranoid now. have a slight noise around the from of the engine which i have left but i will take the front cover off to have a look before i head up north at the end of the year.

I'm guessing there is no warranty covering the last rebuild? Might be worth finding out who did the job & maybe putting the guilts on them.

Also, check out Paradise Auto wreckers (they're in Adelaide but have a pretty decent website) as I reckon I saw they had a complete engine for about $4K - sorry, can't remember any more details!

thats it,when i do it myself i know its done right and if not i only have myself to blame.the injector pumps are rediculious,been looking for a cheap one but none as yet,probllem is with second hand theres no way to tell condition.how long do they normally last??

they put a 12 month unlimited k warranty but it was at end of 2010.cheers will check them out.

so i went and looked at the ute this morning,mechanic is good,seems to know his stuff,deffently the best mechanic ive been to in townsville so far.they didnt go past the timeing chain as there was no wear on the chain which indicates that something else siezed which is why the chain snapped without warning or wear and tear.he said that theres no dought theres damage to valves and pistons so its deffently a new engine.
just waiting for them to come back with prices,think i might go with a hole reco that has the injector pump with low ks,i think the engines until 08 i think fits so hopefully he can find one with low enough ks,he has a few good contacts in brisbane he said is much better in price than sticking around townsville (not suprised).rang parry nissan and they want 11+,needles to say they can get F@#$%D.

Thats bad news on the nav, And its the sort of thing that makes everyone cringe, When i lived in Townsville years ago pricing for anything sucked, Captive market. I moved to Ballarat and its no different. The good part is its only a hour down to Melbourne and better pricing. But in these times of buying of the net i think all companys should pick there act up on pricing.

yep,townsville hasnt changed haha,i know blokes flying to brizzy to buy cars and driveing back still saveing thousands buying from the same company just down in brizzy,one bloke saved 5000 on a new hilux.townsville is isolated when it comes to the market so companys, mechanics the lot think they can have crazy prices and treat you like shit,like you said youd think theyd relize that wont get them anywhere with the internet going the way it is.then they bitch when they dont have buisness because people buy over the net,geez cant think why.
i bought my UCAs from calmini for that exact reason,they replied fastr then i could send them my questions and the UCAs arrived faster then my idler arm brace did when i ordered it from snake raceing and they are in Aus.not to mention i found snake raceing rude and useless,claimed to know all there is to know but apparently you cant run 33" muddys on a nav,think theres a few blokes on here that would disagree haha
best place ive shopped in t,ville would by far be oppisite lock,they have been great,i got tough dog 300kg constant leafs for $400 (normally 580) plus cheap bushings and shackles,im going to get tough dog shocks when the nav is back (and my wallet haha) as again are very well priced there,they have also pulled parts out of boxes for me so i dont have to wait for postage and then they just order that part and put it back in the box when it arrives,doesnt hurt them and saves me waiting for days for something to arrive.

Back