Help required from an electrical wizard.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimpy

Reaction score
I have been trying to work this out now for over a week, and can't seem to get my head around it. I know there is someone who will read this and think, that's easy/straight forward. So here goes.

2011 D22.
I have a pair of IPF 800XS spotlights on the bull now for a couple of years, I used the wiring kit that came with the lights. Via a switch on the dashboard, (relay and fuse being utilised)
This allows me to have, high beam on, spotlights off.
High beam on, spotlights on.

This I what I would like to do with a new light bar I have mounted on the bulbar.

Have lightbar on, no other lights on. Via switch on dashboard. (Off road only).
High beam on, spot lights off, light bar off.
High beam on, spot lights on, light bar Off.
High beam on, spot lights on, light bar on.

So if one of you electrical wizards could draw me a wiring diagram explaining how this is possible, I would be very happy.
Thanks.

OLD TONY is your man with this one.
I can only tell you how to turn the ignition on. lol

BUT i do think you will basically wire the light bar up the same as you did with the spot lights with its own switch that is triggered via the H/Beam as normal.

The light bar needs to be powered via a relay. If we use one relay, powering the relay from the high beam circuit (normal way of doing things) and earthing it through the switch (effective, because it's just one wire and no danger of shorting) then the light bar will only ever come on when high beam is on (which is the road-legal way of doing it). For 4WD use, so the light bar itself comes on without any other lights at all, you need a second relay, this second relay is the "off road only" switch that activates the light bar alone.

If you power the first relay with positive power while your headlights are off, it will feed power into the high beam circuit as well - you don't want that. The second relay will avoid this. Here's the connections you need to make:

Both pin 30 and pin 86 of the second relay goes to pin 30 of the first relay (normally this is the fused input power that you're getting from the battery). Pin 87 of the second relay goes to pin 87 of the first relay. Pin 85 of the second relay goes to another black wire that runs into the cabin to a 3-position switch or a separate switch - the other pole is connected to the chassis.

Turning on high beam will energise pin 86 of the first relay, but not the second. If your switch 1 (which connects pin 85 of the first relay to earth) is on, then the first relay activates and the light bar comes on (power flows in from pin 30 and out pin 87).

If you turn on switch 2 at any time, the light bar will come on - the relay input is being fed positive power at all times, and lacks negative input on pin 85 until you throw the switch. It's also being fed power from the battery via the fuse (because you tap into the input power of the first relay).

High beam won't activate the second relay - power will always be available on pin 30 and 86 anyway, but the relay won't close until it gets the negative on pin 85.

When you activate the light bar with switch 2, power will flow out from pin 87 and will hit the first relay's pin 87 - which is an output - no drama.

Hope that helps. Diagrams are good to look at too, have a look at what Navmania put together in the D22 section (which should probably be in a general section, it's good enough for all cars).

If you go into the D22 wiring section and look up wiring diagrams you will find what you need. If they are no good I'll try and put one together for you as soon as I get a chance. You will need a couple of 3way switches and relays with triggers from various locations.

Cheers. Brad.

if he only ever wants the extra lights on while he has the H/beam on like it shows in his list, could he just wire each up individually like you normally would with each one of the two having their own harness and switch but both being activated by the H/Beam.??

couldnt he then just turn the ones on or off that he likes??

Thanks for your help 75 GRC and Nathand22. I had spent a while tying to find a wiring diagram, but couldn't find one with my description.

Tony d22, I like the idea of a three way switch on the dashboard.
But here comes the stupid question.
The light bar has two wires, one will go to Earth, but where do I connect the positive wire.
Thanks again for your help.

Hope that helps. Diagrams are good to look at too, have a look at what Navmania put together in the D22 section (which should probably be in a general section, it's good enough for all cars).

Hi Old Tony. Feel free to move and clean up that thread if required. Just let me know where you move it to so I can find it update it. :)
Cheers

Thanks for your help Old Tony, I will try this during the week.

Navmania I had a look at your wiring diagrams, so easy to follow, just couldn't find one for my setup. Thanks for your help/reply.

if he only ever wants the extra lights on while he has the H/beam on like it shows in his list, could he just wire each up individually like you normally would with each one of the two having their own harness and switch but both being activated by the H/Beam.?? couldnt he then just turn the ones on or off that he likes??

It will need be wired as two separate systems with all the control being done at the switches and the triggers. If you go to the tread I have done on wiring diagrams you will need to combine the basic spot light wiring with the light bar one with some modification to the way the switches will be hooked up. I have dual beam spotlights and a light bar that can be run on high beam or one their own with or without headlights on. That system uses 3 relays and two three way switches and one two way switch with high beam pickup trigger and Parker trigger. Both those diagrams are in that thread. I'm not at home at the moment to throw one together.

Cheers.

Thanks for your help Old Tony, I will try this during the week. Navmania I had a look at your wiring diagrams, so easy to follow, just couldn't find one for my setup. Thanks for your help/reply.

If you can wait a couple of days I'll put one together for you.

Cheers

Mine goes like this:

High beam to one "on" pin on a on-off-on switch. Constant 12v to the other "on" pin (this can be fed from parkers or accessories). The middle pin of switch goes the the relay pin 85.
Pin 86 goes earth, 87 to light bar. And pin 30 is 12v from battery.

Thanks everyone for your help, as I stated in my first post, I just couldn't get my head around this setup.

Navmania, a wiring diagram would be great thanks, I'm not going to install this until later in the week, so there's no rush. Thanks.

Hope this helps

ForumRunner_20140830_104544.jpg

If anyone else has any other ideas feel free to correct

No probs. I don't know the pin numbers and what not of relays but it should come on the packaging. Good luck

Here you go mate. this will do what you want. just note that if you dont want the parkers on then hook the parker pickup wire to (+) positive 12v with an inline fuse. I use parkers for the trigger for safety so the car can be seen at night and also if you bump a switch and activiate them the warning buzzer will let you know when you open the door. (No flat battery).
Also if your lights are any more powerfull than what in the diagram. Then run a (+) Positive supply wire to each realay with its own fuse. If you are not sure let me know and I will revise the diagram. This system is almost on the limit of 30amp
let me know how you go.
I have also put a copy of this in the D22 wiring diagram thread.

Cheers Brad.

Attachments

• Slide15.JPG
    Slide15.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Thanks very much Navmania for taking the time to draw the wiring diagram, much appreciated.
I will go shopping during the week for the switches and relays, and let you know how it all goes. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back