Hi Y'all

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayco Jockey

Reaction score
Hi, came across this forum while searching for info.
As I've just bought myself a 2002 DX 3.0lt Turbo Diesel dual cab 4x4.
Has bullbar, towbar, fibreglass canopy, roof racks. The body and interior looks like new, but it has 370,000 mostly highway k's on the clock. Motor sounds good to me, blows no smoke. Has good service history, new shockers, new injectors, new brakes.
paid $2,000 for it, which seemed like a fair price to me (thats the only reason i bought it).
So now I'm doing the research on Navaras. -normally I research first, before i buy.
I plan to give my commodore a rest, any tips on towing an eagle windup camper with a diesel navara?
Also,are there 'notorious' common problems? or big cost items that i can expect? Are exchange motors easy to come by?

so many questions for a noob!

cheers
JJ

Cheers Old Tony.
My Commodore was an auto, the navara is a 5 speed manual, I'm guessing I stay away from 5th while towing?
Also, never had a diesel before... Is there a RPM limit to stay under on diesel while towing?

I think you'll find it won't be a drama getting her into 5th while towing. The only thing I'll caution on with the manual is the take-offs - don't ride the clutch too long. Get the clutch out smoothly and quickly and then you can pour on the juice. Otherwise it's just enjoy the ride!

My auto regularly gets into 5th gear (top, overdrive) while towing our 1.8T van (there's a pic of the setup in my garage). I really doubt yours will stress over it, so you shouldn't either.

Last edited:
Hey mate, I have always towed in my Nav in 5th gear. Just let it labour in 5th gear when your towing and if you hit a hill drop back to 4th, on the flats 5th is ok.

370,000km's is some nice work, mine is abit over 160,000km's now. Good to see someone with some high km's and gives everyone else hope to make it that far without dramas.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. the motor sounds good (I've been taking note of other diesels in the shopping centre car park :) ). I hope to get at least another 200,000 out of it yet!!

Always use quality oil's and quality fuel and genuine filters and you should make the distance.

Dave.

370000 out of the motor so far, thats the most ive heard of a ZD30 getting. also welcome to the forum mate

Welcome Jayco Jocky, sounds like a bargain for $2k. have heard that they become fairly unreliable after 370,001 kms. Ha kidding!:lol::haha: pretty impressive amount of Kms for a 2002 year truck. like Dave said, use good oil and change it every 5,000 kms and it should reward you with many kms to come.

Highest km ZD30 I know of is a 2000 model GU that towed a 3T trailer its whole life and was traded at 500,000km's.

Thats Sudso aka Dave on Patrol4x4, well his old boss owned it and Sudso is a TD42 man.

You never usually hear the TD42 drivers say anything good about the ZD30.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back