High lift jack jack mate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't want to damage my alloys with that gizmo. And really, high lift jacks are already dangerous to the inexperienced - how insane would you be to try those out?

EGR mod + exhaust jack is going to be safer for those that don't have experience.

This Jack Mate could be handy for those with steel rims that know how to use a high lift, although I suspect that many owners of high-lift jacks have already sorted out jacking points.

And jacking from the wheel when that's what you need to change ... I would not be asking the wife to just hold up the side here while I whip the wheel out and flick the spare in place.

If you're using the thing to recover the vehicle, ok I can see how useful that would be, absolutely!

er..... I already have a set of these! Made by Hi Lift themselves.
Because the jack is meant for vehicle recoveries and not for wheel changes the wheel mate is perfect for lifting the wheel so you can pack the ground up with rock or whatever to gain some clearance. They're a little on the tight side on the ST-R alloys but they do fit. Get on to youtube and watch some of the vids or as many as you can, very informative!
YouTube - hi lift jack

Cheers Brad

er..... I already have a set of these! Made by Hi Lift themselves.
Because the jack is meant for vehicle recoveries and not for wheel changes the wheel mate is perfect for lifting the wheel so you can pack the ground up with rock or whatever to gain some clearance. They're a little on the tight side on the ST-R alloys but they do fit. Get on to youtube and watch some of the vids or as many as you can, very informative!
YouTube - hi lift jack

Cheers Brad

Only problem I can see, is the time I may need to place rocks under a wheel(probably in deep ruts), I doubt I would be able to get the jack in the right position with out it falling over and wasting the body work.

That's one of the problems with a hi lift....all the different accessories for all the different tasks....

No doubt they are versatile, but you need a big box of tricks to cover a whole range of contingencies.

I'll take an exhaust jack any day of the week. Not as versatile, but simple and effective too.

I've used an exhaust jack in the sand, worked really well, a must have when hitting the deserts or long beach runs especially if your trucks loaded to the gunwales.
My preference for changing tyres is with the hi-lift, I have the" T "slots as lifting points on the front and rear bars, probably the best feature on the TJM gear. Gives you a lot of confidence the jack isn't going to pull out or slide left or right.

With the exhausts jacks i have heard that diesels dont like them because of the back pressure is this right or not?

Mate, you're a brave man lifting your vehicle to change wheel while using a hi lift. I would never do that and when I was instructing we would never encourage people to do that either. That's why we encouraged people to carry a hydraulic bottle jack and a jacking plate. It's not the capacity of the hi lift to lift the vehicle - it's the fact that you are lifting from an already high point, then just increasing that point even higher. Makes the vehicle quite unstable while it's up on the jack. Use a small bottle jack, down low, and things stay nice and stable. But it's your vehicle, so it's your choice of course.

Mate, you're a brave man lifting your vehicle to change wheel while using a hi lift. I would never do that and when I was instructing we would never encourage people to do that either. That's why we encouraged people to carry a hydraulic bottle jack and a jacking plate. It's not the capacity of the hi lift to lift the vehicle - it's the fact that you are lifting from an already high point, then just increasing that point even higher. Makes the vehicle quite unstable while it's up on the jack. Use a small bottle jack, down low, and things stay nice and stable. But it's your vehicle, so it's your choice of course.

Mate, your not lifting the whole vehicle, just one wheel clear, the truck nor the jack are going to take off, flip over or defy the laws of physics. To suggest a bottle jack is the only safe way to change a tyre is really quite naive and not very informative. A good instructor would be explaining and demonstrating the pros and cons of all the methods, letting the students decide what would be the best option in their particular circumstance.

Mate, your not lifting the whole vehicle, just one wheel clear, the truck nor the jack are going to take off, flip over or defy the laws of physics. To suggest a bottle jack is the only safe way to change a tyre is really quite naive and not very informative. A good instructor would be explaining and demonstrating the pros and cons of all the methods, letting the students decide what would be the best option in their particular circumstance.

That's a pretty big call from someone that doesn't know me. Calling me basically, uninformed and naive....wow.....

I have been heavily involved in 4wding for over 20 years - one of the things I have learned is that there are plenty of "experts" out there (like you obviously) who don't need any assistance or guidance. Good luck to you - I certainly will make a point not to offer any advice to you in future as you obviously don't need or require it.

Edit: Oh, and just so you know - hi lift jacks are NOT endorsed as jacks (per se) for the purpose of working on a vehicle they are sold as a recovery item only. But then again....what do I, or the people who import them, know...

Last edited:
That's a pretty big call from someone that doesn't know me. Calling me basically, uninformed and naive....wow.....

I have been heavily involved in 4wding for over 20 years - one of the things I have learned is that there are plenty of "experts" out there (like you obviously) who don't need any assistance or guidance. Good luck to you - I certainly will make a point not to offer any advice to you in future as you obviously don't need or require it.

Sorry, yes I am stupid. Hopefully when I grow up, I will be as smart and 4WD wise as you, I'll go play with my dolls now.:closed:

Sorry, yes I am stupid. Hopefully when I grow up, I will be as smart and 4WD wise as you, I'll go play with my dolls now.:closed:

Hey, you're the one who started out by calling me naive and uninformed after I offered advice on what I believe to be unsafe practice. Sounds to me like someone has an attitude problem and I don't reckon it's me. You can either deal with it or run away from it - your call entirely.

gripes aside, I bought my Hi Lift for the sole purpose of vehicle recovery and as a work tool. My old HJ Kingswood came with a very similar type of jack with slots in the bumpers to lift from, it didn't work very well and one night I had to try and push the car off the jack which wasn't as easy to do as it sounds. Anyways there are plenty of pro's and con's of any of the recovery tools on the market. I chose the Hi Lift because of it's versatility.

Cheers Brad

My understanding is that diesels with a functional EGR valve have less joy using the high lift jack. Block the EGR and the problem apparently goes away.

But the EGR blocked at idle. Even if it was open, all the exhaust gasses can't fit through that small pipe/valve.

Latest posts

Back