High lift jack jack mate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the EGR blocked at idle. Even if it was open, all the exhaust gasses can't fit through that small pipe/valve.

Do you fill the jack at idle? I've never owned one, never used one and haven't read the instructions on the packaging before disposing of thoughtfully. It was something I read in this forum about inflatable jacks and EGR, so I made the assumption that you keep your car in neutral and give it a few revs to fill the bag.

I've been meaning to invest in one, because I'm not going to trust myself with a high-lift jack. I'd rather use a shovel and remove stuff from underneath so I can put the inflatable jack under to get myself out of trouble.

And you know, I'd rather not get myself in THAT much trouble in the first place!

Do you fill the jack at idle? I've never owned one, never used one and haven't read the instructions on the packaging before disposing of thoughtfully. It was something I read in this forum about inflatable jacks and EGR, so I made the assumption that you keep your car in neutral and give it a few revs to fill the bag.

I've been meaning to invest in one, because I'm not going to trust myself with a high-lift jack. I'd rather use a shovel and remove stuff from underneath so I can put the inflatable jack under to get myself out of trouble.

And you know, I'd rather not get myself in THAT much trouble in the first place!

The one I used inflated at idle no problems. I can't remember the brand I borrowed of a mate.

I hadn't planned in getting into trouble either. The only time I've used one was when we were travelling just east of Giles, it was getting late and on those outback roads it's quite often not that easy to just pull over/off because of the massive high banks on each side of the road caused by the constant grading. We thought we had found a small side track, turned out being a dried up river bed that had sand like talcum powder. doing the widest U turn possible we still ended sinking down to the rails. We ended up setting up camp and recovered the truck in the morning. I ended up digging and airbaging up the truck not as easy as it sounds, I quickly discovered a long handle shovel is a must, then winched off the only tree available with every piece of rope, winch straps, and ratchet tie downs I had. Took about 1 hr to drag it 50 meters or so before getting up onto more solid ground. Poor Tigerz winch was almost peeling the paint of the motor.
The lesson I've learnt is to take every bloody bit of gear you can afford and carry.

I am forming the impression that a High Lift Jack and a few attachments can be a very versatile peice of gear and used in almost any situation. As I am starting out i fugure $600 for a Jack and a good bag of related goodies would be a good starting point for self recovery.

Its also becoming apparent that if mistreated or misused they can hurt you and damage your vehicle.

My 2 cents into an earlier discussion in this thread. I have never worked on any vehicle supported solely by any sort of Jack. As an absolute minimum when changing a tyre, the vehicle is lifted, the spare inserted under the vehicle as a safety precaution, the flat tyre removed and swapped under the vehicle, the spare fitted to the vehicle then remove the flat from under neath then lower the vehicle back onto the ground....You can use a Log, a Rock, The Mother in Law, or as a last resort, even a jack stand, but never just a jack. My 2 cents just ran out.

I would appreciate everybodys thoughts, be it positive or negative, so I can make an informed descision.....

I am forming the impression that a High Lift Jack and a few attachments can be a very versatile peice of gear and used in almost any situation. As I am starting out i fugure $600 for a Jack and a good bag of related goodies would be a good starting point for self recovery.

Its also becoming apparent that if mistreated or misused they can hurt you and damage your vehicle.

My 2 cents into an earlier discussion in this thread. I have never worked on any vehicle supported solely by any sort of Jack. As an absolute minimum when changing a tyre, the vehicle is lifted, the spare inserted under the vehicle as a safety precaution, the flat tyre removed and swapped under the vehicle, the spare fitted to the vehicle then remove the flat from under neath then lower the vehicle back onto the ground....You can use a Log, a Rock, The Mother in Law, or as a last resort, even a jack stand, but never just a jack. My 2 cents just ran out.

I would appreciate everybodys thoughts, be it positive or negative, so I can make an informed descision.....

$600 will get you a very good recovery kit!

Thats the technique I've always used, independent of what tool is used to clear the wheel off the ground.

Hi-lifts are good if you happen to loose a whole wheel, a bottle or scissor style jack could be awkward trying to fit under the diff or sill. I also recently helped out a guy on a track up in the Bunyip S.F. He had a Patrol ute, with what looked like 6" of lift. He'd popped out one of the rear springs, so the whole weight of the tray was sitting on top of his wheel. First thing he asked me when I got out of my truck was "Do you have a Hi-lift?" Luckily for him I did!. Mine is a 60" long version, even still, had it pretty much jacked up right at it's limit. I told him there was no way I was going to give him a hand to try and re-seat the spring, but he dove in under anyway, and managed to wrestle it back into place.

Latest posts

Back