High pitched whine in motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albunga

Reaction score
Any advice welcome. My 2008 D22 diesel has over the past months developed a high pitched whine in the front of the motor. The Nissan dealer tells me they all do it sooner or later. When I went to an independent he suggested it could be a bearing in the power steering assembly or the word on the street is that it is the timing chain, Nissan is aware of it, but nothing is being actioned. Any help or assistance from other D22s would be appreciated.

For a short test to rule out timing chain take the belt off so power steering pump and alternator aren't driven if the noise is still there then timing chain if it's not steering pump or alternator bearings

Thank you for the suggestions am having a bit of time off soon and i will carry out what you suggested and i will let you know the outcome...albunga

Another development that has increased its presence is on accelerating away in each gear my d22 is blowing more smoke (black) ,i have noticed this has increased over a period of time. I showed this to the mechanic at the service recently And he had to try to retune the settings on the motor manually because the computer rectification program for this problem is only available for the Thai model not the Japanese manufactured D22, and this was at a Nissan dealer service department. To his credit the smoke stopped for a short period of time, which I think was due to the injector cleaner but the smoke has returned and I don't feel like putting in a bottle of injector cleaner with every tankful. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

They do blow a bit of smoke. Mine is only 15000kms old and it blows a bit. especially when it's under heavy load, like towing or when I decide to ride the clutch a bit.
Is it thick back smoke?

Is your Navara a turbo diesel? And how many km do you have on the ute.

If you've still got this whine and your blowing smoke everywhere have you considered the possibility that you could have an oil leak at your turbo. This could explain the production of smoke and also the whining noise that you get in each gear as your turbo winds up.

If none of the above suggestions are working, i'd inspect your turbo for any oil leaks. The whine could be the bearings in the turbo going out the window. Just another option that i would be asking myself.

I've read your concerns a couple and I too think that there may be a turbo issue. A very slight leak can cause issues.
Ive got no idea of this whining. My can whines, but I know it's the transmission, and it's not coming from the front of the engine.

I hope someone can help you.

My nav used to have a whine from the from passenger seat - every time my missus was in it :)

It does depend on the colour of the smoke.

If the smoke is blue-black then in amongst the diesel soot you're also burning sump oil. If it's been doing this for some time you'll see a decline in the amount of oil in your sump. You can lose oil through the seals in the turbocharger, this is then blown into your intake manifold and burnt.

If it's only black smoke, I'd have the turbocharger inspected. If the bearings are loose, the turbo won't spin up as readily and will make more noise as the shaft vibrates within the bearing. Check the shaft play - if there's any, or if there's a gritty feel when you try to turn the impeller within, this is a sure sign that your turbocharger has little time left in this world and I would strongly recommend that you don't drive it too much more before replacing the turbo.

If the shaft in the turbo is okay, it's possible that you have a boost leak. A small split in the rubber hose will make a sound like someone deliberately and slowly letting air out of a party balloon. If that's what you're hearing, check all of your hosing, the intercooler and the EGR tube plus intake manifold for signs of oil - there won't be a lot, but it will look like it's been blown out of a gap (which is the case!). A boost leak means less air going into the motor than expected = richer mixture in the combustion chamber = more black smoke.

Latest posts

Back