how much can the zd30 engine take

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
i was wondering how much psi the ZD30 03 nav engine come out with and how much you can boost is to with out straning the turbo? what is its capability on performance wise?

over boosting is related to the patrol/terrano engine failures. thats to do with the turbo control system going faulty. it also runs the EGR and fueling. getting all those wrong can result is engine failure. over boosting on its is not the cause of the failures. its just a sign that the control system is faulty.

navara is a lot simpler and doesn't have those problems.

turbo is quite small. but then again its got a reasonable amount of boost. its lacking in fueling and more importantly intercooling.
increaseing boost on its own won't make any more power. i would intercool it and then chip it.

i forgot to mention exhaust. do that before anything. with exhaust and egr mods it gets a max boost of around 18psi.

Water or methanol injection? Should lower EGT same way an intercooler would, with less lag.

thats something i've been looking at for a while. big plus is the cleaning out of the intakes. but no one has been able to give an idea of actual intake air temp reduction. however it does cool in cylinder reducing EGT's.
probably the biggest downside is the size of the tank and cost of methanol.
also if your relying on it to reduce EGT's to stop engine failure there is the reliability problem.
the problem of it freezing in cold temps is an issue i hadn't previously thought about.

but compared to cost and hassle of front mount intercooler it can be a lot cheaper.

Mix methanol and water at the right ratio and you won't freeze it on this planet, so it's purely a cost and tank issue, eh. You can get electonic kits that control fuel delivery, can't you also get variable wastegates? Monitor EGTs and enter limp mode if they spike. Now I'm talking a lot of over-complex rubbish, but that's how you get around the reliability issue. More systems that will go wrong! :dancing:

not that easy.

higher ratio of meth means more power and higher EGT's. so a retune will be required with the basic systems.
also spraying it before turbo in cold weather may have a problem with ice forming which is not good for compressor blades.

Stock boost is 14psi
With cat back exhaust 16psi
Full exhaust 18psi

A bloke i used to work with was running 25psi thru his with a GT28RS [disco potato] im looking at doing something similar but with 18psi as the max.

that shows how much difference there is with boost gauges or motors.
i get ~18psi with just a muffler change.

Yeh i remember you told me that before, yours is a straight thru muffler from memory and mine is offset.
We got 3 ZD30 powered navs now and they all got VDO boost gauges.
My one runs 16psi, i havent done dump pipe yet cause im thinking of changing turbos.
Silver one is stock runs 14psi
Blue/Blue one runs 18psi it has full 3" system with a resonator no mufflers

Yeh mate for the ZD30 turbo diesel

Exhaust system costs vary alot depending on quality of work and the components/materials used.
You can buy a cheap system for ~$700 or a quality one that will last the life of the car for ~$1200
If you have some skills you can build your own for about $350

Latest posts

Back