how on earth do you tune D22 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worst part is though craig i have spoken to heaps of mechanics and supposedly good 1's and not 1 of them know anything about e'm! $25,500 worth of rubbish!

sorry to bleed in your ear m8 but it just pisses me off no end, i know there's something wrong but no-one knows anything about them! to even suggest what it could be, i even went to the extreme of doing crank angle sensor, made no difference

So iv'e just come to the conclusion now i will flog the living piss out of it till it dies then buy a landcruiser.

the thing has always been maintained meticulously every 5000k's, never flogged or labored, always ran good $100 dollar oil, genuine filters, ran the best diesel system cleaner money can buy, and this is the benefits i reap.

I just wish it was a common problem that someone could say do this and voila problem solved! i have no issues of doing the work if i knew what was wrong!

i know where your coming from mate,it would drive me nuts too

what suspension?will make it worse if you get the wrong brand.holy shit what turbo did you buy?
if you hate it so much ill adopt it of you haha
Lawry how did you go installing your clutch?i have to pull my gearbox and diff out to replace my rear main seal that the mechanics didnt when they put the new engine in and also my sump need new gasket seal.if you have done it was it hard to get the gearbox out?

ya have to drop ya torsion bars too m8, have fun bitch of a job, see that's the other thing! ya have to dismantle 70% of the vehicle just to bloody do anything! I had to remove all my intake manifold just to do glow plugs! the turbo i replaced it with was oem part, but i got it a bloody lot cheaper.

Last edited:
most mechanics are f#$%^&g useless,i hate em which is why i do almost everything myself.what i dont is because this is the first diesel i have had so im learning the engine side of things then will do that myself to.

yea pulled them out a few weeks ago haha,ive found that you have to take alot of parts out to do anything with most viechles bar the really old ones
2800 for genuine turbo is daylight robbery mate,you could of almost got 2 for that

yea pulled them out a few weeks ago haha,ive found that you have to take alot of parts out to do anything with most viechles bar the really old ones
2800 for genuine turbo is daylight robbery mate,you could of almost got 2 for that

lol yea well that's what we get for owning a nissan, all nissans i have owned are twice as expensive for parts. ya wanna hope ya don't do a diesel pump $3500, the other thing with nissans is head problems they all had and still have head issues! the only reason i have even stuck with nissan is because they build the ballsiest engines but they don't last.

i like em,have owned a few different 4x4s and ill always stick with nissan and problly navara,i want a new one but will probbly wait till they change from the current 2.5.
ive never heard of issues with the zd30 heads,diesel pumps are expencive though.
were did you get your turbo,genuine is normally around 1600

i like em,have owned a few different 4x4s and ill always stick with nissan and problly navara,i want a new one but will probbly wait till they change from the current 2.5.
ive never heard of issues with the zd30 heads,diesel pumps are expensive though.
were did you get your turbo,genuine is normally around 1600

well i actually got mine from ebay chinese import for $600 craig identical part number, i like e'm too but they proving to have the same problems and same hexy repair prices

Clutch was a bitch of a job.
The worst part was that my torsions were seized into there housings... so i couldn't slide them out. We had to remove both cross members. and flex the torsions down enough to get the gearbox out and down. Took a day and ahalf to get to that stage.... the hardest part was getting enough space to work on the gearbox... because the sub frame still got in the way so it could only go back so far.
one good thing was the car went back together in a few hours!
Original clutch was absolutely farked, below the rivets in the pressure plate side.. however flywheel was in perfect nick and the clutch disk had around 40% left on flywheel side....pressure plate was -30% haha, no wonder it slipped.
We didn't end up getting the fly wheel machined because.... well i couldn't afford it, i was strapped for cash and the fly wheel looked brand new, no heat spots of grooves.
as for grip the clutch bite hard and has never slipped... so lucky me.

well all in all i would much prefer going through that then paying 1000+ for labour.

The worst part was that my torsions were seized into there housings... so i couldn't slide them out. We had to remove both cross members. and flex the torsions down enough to get the gearbox out and down. Took a day and ahalf to get to that stage.... the hardest part was getting enough space to work on the gearbox... because the sub frame still got in the way so it could only go back so far.
Original clutch was absolutely farked, below the rivets in the pressure plate side.. however flywheel was in perfect nick and the clutch disk had around 40% left on flywheel side....pressure plate was -30% haha, no wonder it slipped.
We didn't end up getting the fly wheel machined because.... well i couldn't afford it, i was strapped for cash and the fly wheel looked brand new, no heat spots of grooves.

well all in all i would much prefer going through that then paying 1000+ for labour.

i'm hearing ya lawry but my problem is my back and shoulders stuffed now and i can't do it anymore not the heavy stuff anyway, the other thing too the navara's are renowned for scrubbing out tyres something shocking, i'm getting wheel alignments nearly every 5-6000k's m8 geez i'm having to do camber pins and bushes every couple years! christ where does it stop?

as far as i'm concerned these navaras and other piss-on's were the biggest mistake to hit humanity! even the new d40's if they get a hit underneath the radiator it pops it out of the mounts and shoves it back into the engine!

Last edited:
well i actually got mine from ebay chinese import for $600 craig identical part number, i like e'm too but they proving to have the same problems and same hexy repair prices

Did the replacing of the turbo coincide with the loss in power?

Chinese replacement turbo != factory Hitachi turbo just so you know.

honestly I think you should just trade it in on your landcruiser now though, nothing worse then driving around in a lemon.

O tell me about it, although i cant fault it so far, i have still had to do thing after thing to keep it there.
Its not cheap! and they certainly don't make them like they used to. My brother has a bj40 3ltr non turbo (OLD)- slow as wet week but you cant break it.
all i can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best... just keep blugging away please! ha

aw well, What can you do? :/'

yep id rather work my arse of then pay someone.plus im used to being worked like a dog lol

Did the replacing of the turbo coincide with the loss in power?

Chinese replacement turbo != factory Hitachi turbo just so you know.

honestly I think you should just trade it in on your landcruiser now though, nothing worse then driving around in a lemon.

hahahahah on the trade in, but the turbo that was on it was hitach HT12-19B and the 1 from china was identical manufacture and number, and no it had this issue prior to changing turbo, the only thing i have noticed is that the turbo whistle isn't as prominent now, wonder if cat is choked up?

new cars are made to break down and its as simple as that.the only way you will get a truely tough reliable car is to go old.so you gotta pick one,new fancy and vulnerable or old rough and reliable

Last edited:
the reason they shit now days craig is they use cheap arsed parts! if you were to pull it down and re-build it with race spec parts it's last forever!

oo definitely check the cat.... shit just take the thing off...
they don't need one by law... there full mechanical and pre a certain year
for proof i got my blue slip with just a hot dog muffler.. the rest straight 2.5inch pipe.
that would explain the strange power band....
if air can get out... then there wont be room to make power.

the reason they shit now days craig is they use cheap arsed parts! if you were to pull it down and re-build it with race spec parts it's last forever!

yep,but on purpose.thats where they make there money these days.

oo definitely check the cat.... shit just take the thing off...
they don't need one by law... there full mechanical and pre a certain year
for proof i got my blue slip with just a hot dog muffler.. the rest straight 2.5inch pipe.
that would explain the strange power band....
if air can get out... then there wont be room to make power.

yea will def look into that lawry out of curiosity, cheap diagnostics

yep,but on purpose.thats where they make there money these days.

and yea ya right craig, but like i say if ya pulled it down and rebuilt it with race spec parts would be tougher than a tank!

yea im slowly turning everything to aftermarket/HD parts.includeing bushings,stupid rubber lol

Back