how on earth do you tune D22 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it could simply be an increase of outside temps as we go into summer.

tweak`e is likely onto something here - it's warming up again & I've noticed a (slight) power drop. It'd be nice if there was a way around this (above and beyond intercooler).

Anyhoo - keep us posted

You could check your boost pressure sensor. I replaced mine and perceived an improvement. I stress though that this could have just been perception, but for $150 might be worth it.

I still have concerns over lack of power at low rpm even with chip, intercooler and exhaust. My next step is to have it dyno tested to see how my perception compares to some numbers.

Guys... this has probably nothing to do with the issue as I know very little about D22's, etc, but I was wondering how does the Fuel Tank breath as the fuel is used....... If the breather is blocked, would it restrict the ability to suck the fuel up, there by effecting the performance?..... but then again, I don't know anything yet regarding D22's as I'm still in the looking/researching phase of getting one....

Just thought I'd throw it out there......probably totally wrong though.....

rob

good point.
tho not a common problem on the D22 as the tank breather connects into the gearbox breather and exits up in the engine bay.
unlike a lot of toyotas which have inline valves and often come out in dirt prone aeras.

Try changing fuel filter and check for any leaks (sucking air) around fuel primer apparently it is a common problem with these engines.

I'd start with tyre size. You're running tyres that are 735mm in rolling diameter.

As far as I know, d22's run 265/70. Which have a rolling diameter of 778mm

At 100km/hr they sit at about 3k rpm.

That could have a lot to do with the perceived lack of power. The power may be there, it's just not being delivered in an ideal manner.

smaller diameter tyre= more torque.... with a larger tyre the problem would be amplified at take off.. yes you would be doing less revs at 100km's but the problem is lack of power at take off acceleration, if i am reading this correctly, oh and the crank angle sensor is mounted to the timing cover just above the harmonic balancer...

Hi guy's

sorry i haven't answered this in a while but been very busy

In relation to speed that i drive i mainly stick to speed limits all the time with some exceptions if i get bored lol, i regulary change diesel filter,air,oil, and actual oil every 5000k

I have checked all hoses and connections and everything is fine. I have gone back to smaller tyres which are still 18mm above standard, but still this thing is gutless! i'm about over it i just can't for the life of me find out what's going on.

It seems ok to tow just stuff all from take off, and that's the dangerous part!!!!! if i had to get out of anyones way in a hurry unlaidened i wouldn't have a shit show in hell! and would probably die trying!

I just wish there was a machine you could throw this thing on and it would show straight away where it's failing or lacking.

On another note:
i went for a ride in a m8's hyundai sant-fe the other day and OH MY GOD! the thing goes like a v8! it's a turbo diesel but shit has it got the herbs!

we left his drive way heading up hill and was pulling just on 160km's/hr within about 650 meters! and it was a reasonably steep hill, once we got over the hill he give it to it! dropped it into 6th and was pulling near 200kmh's/hr within the next 800 meters now that's some serious arse power out of a 4 cylinder diesel! and torque! geez it sat ya back in the seat!

I'm bying a hyundai next!

Last edited:
Hi guy's

sorry i haven't answered this in a while but been very busy

In relation to speed that i drive i mainly stick to speed limits all the time with some exceptions if i get bored lol, i regulary change diesel filter,air,oil, and actual oil every 5000k

I have checked all hoses and connections and everything is fine. I have gone back to smaller tyres which are still 18mm above standard, but still this thing is gutless! i'm about over it i just can't for the life of me find out what's going on.

It seems ok to tow just stuff all from take off, and that's the dangerous part!!!!! if i had to get out of anyones way in a hurry unlaidened i wouldn't have a shit show in hell! and would probably die trying!

I just wish there was a machine you could throw this thing on and it would show straight away where it's failing or lacking.

On another note:
i went for a ride in a m8's hyundai sant-fe the other day and OH MY GOD! the thing goes like a v8! it's a turbo diesel but shit has it got the herbs!

we left his drive way heading up hill and was pulling just on 160km's/hr within about 650 meters! and it was a reasonably steep hill, once we got over the hill he give it to it! dropped it into 6th and was pulling near 200kmh's/hr within the next 800 meters now that's some serious arse power out of a 4 cylinder diesel! and torque! geez it sat ya back in the seat!

I'm bying a hyundai next!

Are u sure u saw the speedo reading correctly ??? There's a lot of V8's that struggle to get to that sort of speed.... especially doing 100mph within 650 metres up a steep hill.....

I think I would have to see that myself b4 I could believe that....... sorry

Are u sure u saw the speedo reading correctly ??? There's a lot of V8's that struggle to get to that sort of speed.... especially doing 100mph within 650 metres up a steep hill.....

I think I would have to see that myself b4 I could believe that....... sorry

telling ya now m8 i was in it! i seen it! i couldn't believe it myself and it was stock! but believe me it done it with ease too and unmodified in any way!

V8s getting to 200km/h?? 280km/h easily.

I don't doubt that V8's can get to those sorts of speeds but in 650mtrs it wouldn't be your "normal std" V8..... and for that hyundai 4cyl TD to get to 200k's in that sort of distance, again, I'm sorry, but I just find it hard to believe..... I guess it's one of those seeing it is believeing it moments...

Last edited:
robmacca said:
I don't doubt that V8's can get to those sorts of speeds but in 650mtrs it wouldn't be your "normal std" V8..... and for that hyundai 4cyl TD to get to 200k's in that sort of distance, again, I'm sorry, but I just find it hard to believe..... I guess it's one of those seeing it is believeing it moments...

I've done the math on it, and it's quite easily possible for a 4cyl diesel to reach that speed in 650m. Assuming my math is correct and uniform acceleration, that's an acceleration equivalent to 0-100km/hr in a little over 18 seconds... I'd almost be willing to wager that my d22 could haul that kinda arse, and it's a 2.5T brick.

I might go hit a back road this arvo and find out.

I've done the math on it, and it's quite easily possible for a 4cyl diesel to reach that speed in 650m. Assuming my math is correct and uniform acceleration, that's an acceleration equivalent to 0-100km/hr in a little over 18 seconds... I'd almost be willing to wager that my d22 could haul that kinda arse, and it's a 2.5T brick.

I might go hit a back road this arvo and find out.

From a standing start to hit 200k's in 650mtrs up a incline to..... I'd be curious to hear how u go.....

my ZD 30 wouldn't have a shit show in hell of doing it, christ mines flatout at about 140-150 tops! even with a new turbo at 15psi and mandrel bent 3" strait through!

robmacca said:
From a standing start to hit 200k's in 650mtrs up a incline to..... I'd be curious to hear how u go.....

Nah, he was hitting 160 after 650m, then 200 after a further 800m, at least that's how I read it. So doing 200km/hr after almost a 1.5km run up ain't that bad.
I'm just gonna find a back road and see my standing start to 100km/hr time, if I'm under the 18seconds, I'll be a happy chappy, I doubt I'd be able to pull that off up a hill though.

We are in the process of developing a ECU tuning solution for D22's. So a proper edit of the ECU program rather than a piggy back chip fully warranted etc. I currently have 5 customers on my waiting list. If anyone else is interested drop me a quick PM and I will let you know when we are good to go.

It might be worth buying a cheap d22 ECU from eBay ($80) and getting it tuned up. Would save having the truck off the road for a few days.

Would that work? I know with the D40 you then need to get keys and dash reset. If that is not a problem with D22's then that would be a huge bonus.

Once sorted, we will be able to provide tune in an afternoon

Cheers

It might be worth buying a cheap d22 ECU from eBay ($80) and getting it tuned up. Would save having the truck off the road for a few days.

finally! bout time someone took on the D22's to give ecu tunes! D22's seem to be the last to get anything and anything you do get is just way to expensive for your average 4wd'er.

I would be interested to see how this pans out.

We are in the process of developing a ECU tuning solution for D22's. So a proper edit of the ECU program rather than a piggy back chip fully warranted etc. I currently have 5 customers on my waiting list. If anyone else is interested drop me a quick PM and I will let you know when we are good to go.

it would be very interesting to see.
i understand the chip is not rewritable and you need to replace it with a rewritable one. or have you found a different way around that?

Back