How to check a Car for emcumberence when Buying

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys....

Just trying to gain some info on where to look (websites) to do some research on a car & it's history when buying....

What sites is there where and can check to see if there is any money is owed or whether it's been a "repaired" right-off?

I've heard of doing a "revs" check, etc....but does anybody have the websites to get this sort of info from?

I'm in Brisbane, if that makes a difference......

cheers....
rob

here you go:

http://www.revscheck.com.au/home/index.dot

I have never used that site, it just showed up in a Google. In the past I have either purchase cars from dealers (which are safe because of the laws around dealerships.) or i have used the phone service a long time ago (here in WA) where you ring up and give them the VIN.

I don't know if there is a free service as such, but Revscheck is worth the money. We used it for our Nav, but you only use it once you have absolutely decided to buy something.

For the $30.00 or whatever it is now its good peace of mind.

Hoo Roo

Cheers fellas......

Done the search and paid the money for a REVS Check on a prospective Navara and all looks good so we have arranged a meeting to visually check it out b4 the next step (the guy lives quite a distance away so that's why I've done the revs check now after seeing some pics of what it looks like and accessories fitted)

cheers....
rob

it's called the Personal Property Securities Register now --> http://www.ppsr.gov.au/Pages/ppsr.aspx

it costs $3.80 to do the search. You should also call the motor registry in the state the vehicle in registered in to do a search. not sure what it costs, ACT it used to be free, but I doubt that it is anymore.

Thats the only check they offer in victoria now. Got rid of vicroads check last month

Good luck with it Rob

Yeah cheers for that..... It's a bit nerve racking but it's owned by a old retired bloke who's uprating to his retirement vehicle.... GU Patrol, otherwise he said he wouldn't get rid of it.....

It's 12/2002 model with 133k on the clock and all the added accessories that I would be looking initially except for a Bulbar. Sounds like it's been well serviced and he's used it for towing his 20' Caravan.....Some of the extra's are: Dual Batteries; Catch Can; Dtronic; 2.5" exhaust; Front mount IC; Electronic Rust Protector; Canopy; spotties; K&N Air Filter; Snorkel; Full Drawer System in the back; UHF radio; OME shocks all round with OME rear springs; Long Range Tank.

So..... if all turns out like I'm praying for I should a have a Navara with little to do/add to bar the front B/Bar, which will keep the missus happy as I won't need to spend endless hours in the shed modifying it ;)

Is there any MAJOR things I need to inspect or look for when I'm looking over it?

Because it's be a tow vehicle, what sort of wear and tear will I need to look for?

if its a D22 with the ZD30, check the head gasket as thoroughly as you can. if it has any ripples that you can see, walk away or be prepared to drop 10k on an engine rebuild...

not saying the ZD30 is a hand grenade...

In a tow vehicle, you might find the rear suspension has been given a solid workout, the ballweight isn't just a weight, it's a pounding by (20' would weigh about) 2.0-2.5T.

The other thing to consider in a tug is how much strain the engine/driveline has undergone. Older drivers generally tend to be more moderate and you would rightly be less concerned with their vehicles.

Latest posts

Back