Hydraulic jack ok to lift at rear diff ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm asking this on behalf of a workmate as hes not too computer savy and i wouldn't have a clue what could have gone wrong.
Hes got a brand spanka d22 str, 800km on the clock. Last night he supposedly used one of those standard hydraulic jacks to lift up the ass of it at the diff to check out the diff breather scenario. He looked but touched nothing.
Upon lowering the girl to the ground and driving it, there is a ticking metal to metal sound coming from the diff. No matter what gear or speed.
Its definitely noticeable even from drivers seat. Hes got one of those nissan roadside blokes coming out to have a look, and hes worried hes going to get shafted since the manual doesnt mention lifting from diff's at all.
Any ideas, what could have gone pear-shaped and at that, is lifting from diff ok ?
I know I've done it a few times on my nav, and seen plenty of others do it too, and never had an issue, but he seems to be a unlucky sob.

Is he sure he put the jack under the diff and not the drive shaft? It could be the rear uni joint.

Definitely right under the diff cause i asked him to show me exactly where he jacked it up.

If he did the right thing, he has nothing to worry about.

Let us know how he goes.

coincidence i reckon, let the dealers fix it. With that said i always jack under the leaf spring u-bolt plate (mainly for height issues) or axle, one side at a time. For the front i use the lower control arm which has a special ridge that locks into the jack top.

Last edited:
A lot of years ago I had a ticking sound in one of my cars. Turned out to be a stone caught in the tread of one of the tyres.

Alan

coincidence i reckon, let the dealers fix it. With that said i always jack under the leaf spring u-bolt plate (mainly for height issues) or axle, one side at a time. For the front i use the lower control arm which has a special ridge that locks into the jack top.

Al what is this ridge in the lower ARM you speak of? I jack off the chassis cause I can't find any where else to put it. Pm me a picture of the position and maybe the jack aswell.

Rusty

Well bit of an update.
The nav ended up being towed to the dealer, they apparently had a quick look, flushed the diff, looked for any metal, and then changed oil and all is now well again. At no charge to him, so that was good. It still shits me though, not knowing what it could have been.
Wasn't there a bad batch of navs running around with wrong diff oil or something ?

Al what is this ridge in the lower ARM you speak of? I jack off the chassis cause I can't find any where else to put it. Pm me a picture of the position and maybe the jack aswell.

Rusty

I'd like to know this as well. Sounds very handy. Where do you put the stands then (if you do that) for front?
The rear, i usually jack from the u bolts as well, then stands under the axles on each side.

Wasn't there a bad batch of navs running around with wrong diff oil or something ?

yep.... non LSD oil.......and a few with the same diff probs but was water ingestion/contamination from water crossing

Its fixed...no charge...all good....move on....

I'd like to know this as well. Sounds very handy. Where do you put the stands then (if you do that) for front?
The rear, i usually jack from the u bolts as well, then stands under the axles on each side.

Rear I use it under the ubolt bracket and stands under the axles as stated. Front is jack of chassis and stand also off chassis. If I can get this spot it would make my day of changing rims so much easier. I'll get myself a 2tonne hydraulic trolley jack and start using it.

Rusty

Rusty theres the pics, If you jack off there you don't have to lift it as far as off the chassis either. I highly recommend the omega jack as it has magiclift which is a awesome. I got a few years ago from trade tools direct. I'd avoid the cheap jacks, its a safety thing.

GARARGE SERVICE JACKS

Last edited:
Rusty theres the pics, If you jack off there you don't have to lift it as far as off the chassis either. I highly recommend the omega jack as it has magiclift which is a awesome. I got a few years ago from trade tools direct. I'd avoid the cheap jacks, its a safety thing.

GARARGE SERVICE JACKS

Was the omega jack from trade tools direct? Thought I had seen them before. Now I have something else for the Xmas wishlist. I saw that spot on the arm but wasn't sure it was up to it. Now I know someone is doing it ill start using it. How do you go with the standard jack in that point?

Latest posts

Back