I had a thought.....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which law do you speak of Krankin? I can only see ADR 18 (which vehicle manufacturers have to abide by) that says a speedo can read +10% and - 0%.

Mine was out 10% as well, I wasn't happy about either so I questioned the service department, basically told stiff sh*t. I think it's pretty poor form as well, if I look down I want to know exactly what speed I am doing, not having to do quick calculations to work it out.

speedos being out by up to 10% is entirely acceptable and in many ways should be looked at as a safety feature to keep all those people who think 5-10ks over the speed limits is ok, and there is still plenty of people around who think that.

That's all well and good if all cars have the same error, at the moment there can be 10% difference between 10 cars on the road, so at 100kph you can have 10 different speeds done by 10 different cars, this causes its own problems and frustrations. (Single lane, overtaking etc etc)

Plus do you really think it's about doing 5 to 10 k's over the limit or just going faster than the people around them? Wouldn't take them long to work it out and they would be doing 10% plus 5 over the limit LOL.

Though it seems some have a problem if i bring it up but not if others do.
Gets a bit clicky here does'nt it.
Sorry, not going away.

WTF?

Which law do you speak of Krankin? I can only see ADR 18 (which vehicle manufacturers have to abide by) that says a speedo can read +10% and - 0%.

Mine was out 10% as well, I wasn't happy about either so I questioned the service department, basically told stiff sh*t. I think it's pretty poor form as well, if I look down I want to know exactly what speed I am doing, not having to do quick calculations to work it out.

That's all well and good if all cars have the same error, at the moment there can be 10% difference between 10 cars on the road, so at 100kph you can have 10 different speeds done by 10 different cars, this causes its own problems and frustrations. (Single lane, overtaking etc etc)

Plus do you really think it's about doing 5 to 10 k's over the limit or just going faster than the people around them? Wouldn't take them long to work it out and they would be doing 10% plus 5 over the limit LOL.

WTF?
..........didnt say you, but seems some dont like my input here....not my prob anyway.
I'll edit it if you are offended.

As for the laws you are querying, its in a thread about speedo's, if you have trouble finding it I'll find it later on 2nite and also will post up the emails to me regarding the consumers rights.

Of course it's not purely about that, but at the same time it's also not done just to piss people off so people can rag their dealers for not fixing it. I would guess that the original law was brought in as some what of a safety thing in that it ensured no car was going to be showing a speed slower than they were actually driving therefore less excuse for those who were speeding. Manufacturers are just moving within their allowed tolerances, just like they do on every regulation that has a tolerance.

There is obviously plenty of people out there who think such tolerances are a major imposition on them I'm just not one of them. Apart from the fact that I rarely even get up to 100 let alone 110 I just don't have a problem with having that buffer zone which can allow the car to creep up a little on hills or the like. I'm also happy to go by scangauge or gps to get a true reading if need be, just because my fights lay elsewhere when it comes to what I expect when I pay good money doesn't mean I expect to change any one elses minds, they are free fight their speedo issues out at the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
..........didnt say you, but seems some dont like my input here....not my prob anyway.
I'll edit it if you are offended.

As for the laws you are querying, its in a thread about speedo's, if you have trouble finding it I'll find it later on 2nite and also will post up the emails to me regarding the consumers rights.

As I've said before, everyone's input is welcome here. That's why it's called a discussion forum. Obviously opinions will clash at times but I only take exception when posts become personal.

I'm not offended at all, part of the moderator application form here calls for a medical examination and my skin density results came back as very thick :)

As I've said before, everyone's input is welcome here. That's why it's called a discussion forum. Obviously opinions will clash at times but I only take exception when posts become personal.

I'm not offended at all, part of the moderator application form here calls for a medical examination and my skin density results came back as very thick :)

No wuckin furries!:knuddel:

Give us a look at one of those arms I've got a few needles here I wouldn't mind testing out

I can't say I disagree with Krankin, to be completely honest, which is why I'd asked my dealer about fixing it - and notice, I got the same response. Perhaps it's a standard spiel offered by Nissan to its dealers - "Say this if anyone has a whinge about the inaccurate speedo".

My wife's Suzuki Cino reads true. My Commodore was pretty darn close too. This Navara of mine is probably marginally over 10% out, and I've noticed that sometimes it's further out than at other times. Got me beat why the variations happen, I just find them so annoying I don't bother with the speedo all that much. That's a shame, because it's a piece of equipment that I ought to be able to rely on.

It might be altitude related, or temperature related. Tomorrow, wife and I are going on a big trip up to Tamworth, across to have lunch in Port Macquarie and back home, checking out potential camping sites. I'll see if I can spot any common behaviour for when the thing goes more wacky than it already is.

Talk about duck-shoving. Nissan push you to the dealer, dealer says it's within legal spec, and the government tells you that because it's within tolerance and won't affect the starving children in Burma or the sexual habits of the monks in the Tibetan mountains, there's no legal reason why it needs to be changed.

I think they set it up beautifully, so that they never have to lift a finger until a starving kid from Burma looking for a Happy Meal drives over a Tibetan monk who's looking to get a happy deal up in the Himalayas.

I'm also betting that they will never do a thing about it, and the only way to get something done is to fork for it yourself. The Police (I understand) get their speedos calibrated, I don't know the cost.

I seriously doubt, with their ability to (loophole-wise) duck-shove this issue so easily (United Nations regulations my bloody ass) that it's something that Nissan would ever fix.

How do these vehicles measure their speed? I assume the old cog and cable setup would have been retired long ago?

I believe (and could be wrong) that most newer cars do it electronically from the ABS sensors, as to whether its 1 or more sensors I'm not entirely sure but I have read things in the past where people are suggesting the ECU reads all 4 ABS sensors and makes the calculations, but I've also read things suggesting it's only one, either way seems plausible enough to me but I'm no expert.

I just put a set of 265/70/17 Bighorns on, speedo is 103 (GPS 100). Was 109 with GPS at 100 before the tyre change. Fuel seems to be the same, will know when i get to the end of the tank.

I believe (and could be wrong) that most newer cars do it electronically from the ABS sensors, as to whether its 1 or more sensors I'm not entirely sure but I have read things in the past where people are suggesting the ECU reads all 4 ABS sensors and makes the calculations, but I've also read things suggesting it's only one, either way seems plausible enough to me but I'm no expert.

They still use a 'Drive' & 'Driven' gearset in the g/box which the mechanical signal is converted to electrical via the Transducer plugged into the g/box, then to the cluster & ecu.
Old technology.

Cluster has been set to show the approx 10% difference the manufacturer wants, so can be easily set to show true or whatever.

Regardless of all the hocuspocus the mails show the points are that

* The tolerence in ADR/03 allows at 90klm tru speed a reading on the guage between 90k/h to 104k/h.
Though ADR/03 does not mandate the upper limit.
Yes i can hear you all, yes it legal...but still misleading.

As some know, jack shit we can do about it, via nissan anyway.
Ok,
what about then,

* Quote: "Equally, consumers can choose to request that the speedometer in their vehicle indicate true speed".

Is this not our right if we wish.
Comming from where it does, i,m assuming its our legal right to ask this of the manufacturer...yes or no?.

Antoz, what your take on the subject.

* Quote: "Equally, consumers can choose to request that the speedometer in their vehicle indicate true speed".

Is this not our right if we wish.
Comming from where it does, i,m assuming its our legal right to ask this of the manufacturer...yes or no?.

It is our right to request it, just as it's Nissan's right to refuse to modify a vehicle that is "within the legal specifications". Grr and all that, at the lovely loophole they provided themselves here.

As a large group, there may be some means to apply pressure to Nissan, but they've got legislation to back them up on this so I don't see it being an easy battle.

We've finished our drive, by the way, and noticed something interesting.

The climb up to the top of the Great Dividing Range (about 1170m above sea level) saw the error reduce to about 5% (speedo read 105 while doing 100km/h). Ambient temperature 19C. Going down the other side, same ambient temp, 100km/h on GPS read as about 109 (the needle was just under the 100 mark). Since I doubt there's an inclinometer involved in calculating speed (unless they want you to think you're going faster downhill I'd say that my speedo is "variably inaccurate depending on its own bloody moods".

I'm not entirely happy with that. 20,000km service is now due in a couple of hundred k, I'll push them on this issue and see what happens.

They might have told me the "standard spiel" before, but that's because it's probably their first line of defense that Nissan ask them to use (since Nissan are the ones that pay for warranty work). However, I haven't found cause to complain about anything my dealer's done or said yet - in fact, I'd have to say that I trust them. I'll see what the service manager says about it.

When I quizzed the dealer about the speedo error on my wife's X-Trail they asked how I knew, when I mentioned the GPS the reply was well know you know what the right speed is we don't need to worry....

When I quizzed the dealer about the speedo error on my wife's X-Trail they asked how I knew, when I mentioned the GPS the reply was well know you know what the right speed is we don't need to worry....

Downright patronising bastards.

:idea:
take your speedo out, take it back for a refund cause its not "Fitt for Purpose",
and take their advice in using your gps instead and see what the prick says!

Latest posts

Back