In dash GPS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJWB

Reaction score
Next question!

Does anyone have any experience with indash GPS? Initially I was looking for something with reverse camera, then I found out you can get them with OziExplorer. At the moment I have found two head units which use Ozi, one being the Polaris Polaris GPS, the second being VMS VMS - Serious 4x4 Navigation - products. The Polaris comes in at around $1750 with maps, the VMS is close to $3000 for the same options. Has anyone had expereince with either or know of other alternatives?

I've been considering the VMS for a while now it is pricey and thats probably why I'm still considering it instead of happily using it but either way it is the one I will go for eventually.

I don't use the reversing camera I have enough to worry about fitting it up with the camera and loosing the current camera screen which doubles for a dvd screen in the middle console doesn't worry me much so the camera wont be on my purchase list when it happens

I'm actually interested in the added tyre pressure monitor as well but I believe that's something like $500 extra and stand alone units are less than $300.

I was just looking at the price list and it's actually $700 for the tyre monitoring which can be done heaps cheaper with a hand held unit. As for the camera's they are a joke, you can buy exactly the same cameras off ebay for $25, the wiring would be exactly the same so it's not like you'd worry with any of the accessories with the VMS anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted a unit that runs Igo8 and works great.Has a dvd,tv am/fm and more runs a rev. cam Windows ce 5 op system looking to install oziexplorer soon.Fits in with little effort where original double din unit was.Haven,t mounted cam yet.Cost around $600

Regards Rick

Krafty you're pre-empting things to come!

As part of the effort to increase awareness of the need to maintain proper tire pressure, the U.S. government has taken steps to make it easier for drivers to be aware of potentially unsafe low pressure in their tires. As of the 2008 model year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) now requires that all passenger cars and light trucks feature the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). In conjunction with the new requirements, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (AAM) has initiated a consumer safety campaign focusing on the importance of maintaining proper tire pressure. As part of this campaign, the Alliance has launched the website CheckMyTires - New Symbols for Tire Pressure, which features resources to increase understanding of TPMS and the need to maintain proper tire pressure.
As part of the effort to increase awareness of the need to maintain proper tire pressure, the U.S. government has taken steps to make it easier for drivers to be aware of potentially unsafe low pressure in their tires. As of the 2008 model year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) now requires that all passenger cars and light trucks feature the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). In conjunction with the new requirements, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (AAM) has initiated a consumer safety campaign focusing on the importance of maintaining proper tire pressure. As part of this campaign, the Alliance has launched the website www.checkmytires.com, which features resources to increase understanding of TPMS and the need to maintain proper tire pressure.

Hi Rick, have you got any pic's of the Igo8 installed? From looking at the website it appears you need to purchase a head unit and then install the software on it??? Can you offer any more information like what head unit you used, total costs etc?

Last edited:
Krafty you're pre-empting things to come!

I wasn't really aware of where the US were headed with this stuff and don't really know if Aus will ever follow suit however I like the idea of being able to monitor tyre pressures from the cabin.

I'm not convinced it's the sort of info I need at all times and that might lead me away from adding such things to a head unit but the hand held units do everything the same and you can drop the hand held unit into the glove box and it will let you know via an alarm if the pressures rise or fall too much. The advantage of the hand held one though is you can use it in any car or with any trailer, obviously you have to take the sensors off the vehicles tyres (or buy more sensors with the more advanced ones) but as far as I'm aware the VMS one has a four tyre limit.

I have the Pioneer AVID-F900BT unit installed in mine (arranged by Nissan before delivery). With reversing camera it added $3,000 to the vehicle (basically Nissan wore the cost of fitting). The camera is mounted inside the keyhole in the tailgate.

It's very bloody handy - I'm not going to try and haul my 1.8T van up to the back of the Navara so I can connect it, I want to position the ball under the receiver and just lower the van onto it. With the tailgate well and truly in the way of things, a camera was my only choice and it works beautifully.

As for the software, it's a Windows CE device running Pioneer's custom menu system and Igo's navigation software which is not bad, the TTS (Text To Speech) system works better than some others (like Tom Tom) and the thing does plan its routes better than other devices (like the NavMan, which says that Canberra is down a little dirt road just south of Mittagong), turn off the highway here please).

It has its foibles, but I bet any of these Windows-based systems would suffer the same. You MUST let the thing boot up before doing anything with it, which includes putting the vehicle in reverse. If I don't allow Windows to finish loading its device drivers before I put it in reverse (activating the camera), when I try to use the system I usually find that it's hung, or erratic. I also cannot sit with the ignition in "Accessories" listening to the radio while I wait (say, at the doctor's), and then just start the car to take off - I have to turn the car off, wait for 10 seconds, then start it. If I don't, Windows doesn't load its drivers properly and the device fails to function.

So in short, if you're mindful of the need to always start the vehicle from a fully powered off state, and wait until you can hear the radio/MP3 player before you use the reversing camera, the unit is pretty good.

Map updates are stupidly expensive, someone is making good money on those and they miss some things that are ridiculous - I can't locate Hamilton Vic in mine (or my wife's brand new Tom Tom either). We could see it on the HEMA map inside Camps Australia 4, but neither of our navigation devices would take us there. Once we arrived, we observed that this town hadn't sprung up overnight, but we breakfasted in a little cul-de-sac with an old steam train set up for display.

I'm still looking for an editor for mine, as the asking price of $240 for an update is ridiculous, I contacted the company and they told me that I had the latest maps, which missed on a local roundabout that had been there for 2 years and tried to tell me there was a hard left turn just west of Branxton in the middle of a straight stretch of 100km/h road.

Good luck with yours. There are cheap Chinese units on the market, I have no idea how good they are, or up-to-date their maps are, or how they can be updated.

Thanks Tony, so does the Pioneer head unit have windows installed on it? I had a look at a navara which was setup by the owners of a car audio shop. Their head unit was connected to a small computer type thing which they tucked away under the cupholder moldings. Aside from that, the install looked bloody AWFUL! It stuck out like the proverbial...

Last edited:
I was thinking about this again last night and have come to the conclusion that $3000 (or even more than $1000) is a waste for me. In car navigation is always going to be a part of my travels but in car navigation is of course limited to in the car.

At present I can use my GPS in the car but I can also take it with me if I'm walking somewhere (city or bush) and I can also take it with me in the boat. Sure there is a lack of roads when I'm out in the boat but being able to log a GPS co-ordinate is much easier than putting an x on the water when I find that great fishing spot. Also having a unit that is portable means I can take it with me when I'm not the driver and still find that elusive beach track or point of interest.

Although I may be talked into something running Hema maps in the future while I'm getting yearly updates for my maps and the GPS I have has a learning feature that remembers where I've been even if it doesn't realise it's a road I'm thinking I can better spend $3000 on something more fun, but then that is just my thoughts doesn't mean they suit everyone.

Well reasoned Krafty, I suggest you have a look at the Hema Navigator. I think it comes in a shade under $1,000 and comes with rear camera inputs too. Mind you there are also other options such as a PDA with Ozi installed on it. I was given a demo of a PDA with Ozi installed on it when working in the Pilbara. It was great how you could track your path, follow it back out, switch between topo's and geoscience maps and also grab a heap of other maps. Not sure if you can get marine maps for Ozi though?

Hema might get a look in eventually they don't look like a bad unit but at present given I get updates for a lot less than most people here have quoted and given the portability of the my current unit I don't think it will be a proposition in the near future.

If I really want to I can format mine and start again and put any companies maps on it, takes a little work and probably voids any warranty but its out of warranty anyway. It's not unlike "jailbreaking" an ipod takes time and effort as well as a little bit of a disregard for the effort the company who made it put in.

I do still like the VMS and for no other reason than that would buy it over any other but I still wont get rid of my hand held unit.

Thanks Tony, so does the Pioneer head unit have windows installed on it? I had a look at a navara which was setup by the owners of a car audio shop. Their head unit was connected to a small computer type thing which they tucked away under the cupholder moldings. Aside from that, the install looked bloody AWFUL! It stuck out like the proverbial...

Yep, it uses an ARM processor running Windows CE v5. I have an SD card configured so that the unit starts up without the Pioneer menu and gives me a Windows interface, it looks a little like Win95/98.

You can see these things in at JB HiFi. The only thing you can see in the dash is the face - there's no external widgets except for the satellite antenna, and mine sits over in the corner of the dash at the base of the windowscreen.

Is Tomtom able to be loaded onto any of these units? Purley for the fact that im used to it and hate change. The GPS on my Murano is a pain in the butt to work out or maybe im just to lazy to sit down and work it out. Also been looking at some and noticed you can get duel reverse camera's for when towing caravans. Think this would be good if you can use it as a rear vison mirror when towing ect.

Beergutz, TomTom will load onto any WinCE-powered device, so I could put it in mine - there's only one problem.

TomTom is not quite as powerful as iGo8, which is the software included in my Pioneer. The only thing I can't do (correction - the only thing I haven't discovered how to do) is to get my Pioneer to show me a different path to the destination. On the TomTom, it's as easy as pressing a button.

The iGo8 software is really quite remarkable. If you're coming along this Saturday to Barrington Tops, we can show you - we're leaving Heatherbrae @ 8:30am.

Also been looking at some and noticed you can get duel reverse camera's for when towing caravans. Think this would be good if you can use it as a rear vison mirror when towing ect.

Using them as mirrors when towing only really has one drawback, at night if you want to use it you'll light up your cabin and make seeing in front of you a pain in the arse. Unlike most GPS screens that have the ability to invert and change the background colour when night comes so that the brightly lit background doesn't blind people inside the cabin very few camera screens have this ability. Depending where your screen is mounted it can be like looking head on into a torch light, all you see is the flooding light and not what is behind it.

I run a VMS in the Navara and a cheap Chinese clone in the X-Trail. the Nav would have got the clone too but the GPS antenna connector lined up perfect with the tubular cross member at the back of the fire wall so the bloody thing didn't fit. Both units run the same software, but the VMS is technically better when it comes to bluetooth and iPod interface etc.

I missed the part about dual reversing cameras.

I think one of those will be for the towball camera and the other will be for reversing the caravan. The fitting instructions for the devices - if followed correctly - ought to ensure that the cameras only activate when in reverse gear.

We are currently having a good think about having a camera fitted to the rear of our van as well. Since my 12-pin trailer plug has a couple of spare lines, I am considering hooking it up as a wired device through that, as a wireless camera's signal may not make it through the metal skin of the caravan (twice).

I do not believe that you are allowed to operate rear-facing cameras while the vehicle is in a forward gear. Not sure about that - but if the law currently doesn't say that, then I would support such a move because it makes sense. Towing mirrors are going to beat cameras any day, for looking down the side, for gauging distances, and checking the lane beside you.

As far as I am aware there is no law stating cameras can't be turned on permanently they are after all a safety device not a movie that will distract the driver. Many trucks have permanent on front and back cameras that don't just get used when reverse is selected.

As any one who's driven with anything behind them knows blind spots in mirrors are one thing but cars, bikes and even trucks can get hidden behind a load quite easily and while mirrors are good having an eye back there is a much better idea. I don't like having the camera on my ute, I'd rather use mirrors but reversing a B double and having the camera as a back up so that you can see if someone one walks behind you is well worth it.

The original 2 camera truck systems that came out about 5 years ago had one reverse camera and one permanent feed allowing you permanent rear vision. The wireless cameras are also made to go through trailers of any construction which is why they were marketed as truck cameras it would have been pointless being wireless if the signal couldn't travel through 40 foot of pantech and 15 foot of cabin and sleeper. However wireless does have it's drawbacks, the wireless signal is the same frequency are wireless routers and either can effect each other. That's probably not a huge issue on the highway but around homes where wireless internet is becoming more popular you could have problems seeing whats at the end of your driveway.

Latest posts

Back